Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Invisible Fences...anyone have one?

We want to get an invisible fence for our yard. Do any of you have one that you would recommend? Do you like yours?

We have a large lot in a wooded area, so a real fence isn't really an option.

Thanks!

Penny
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

From what we hear they are great but we dont have one. VEry $$ and we know the people that own our local company so we could even get a discount.

The Wheelchair Mommy Tweet*Tweet

William-2004, Lucas-2008 & Nathan-Summer 2011
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i was looking into them too. we don't have a big yard and from what i say it would still be around $400. maybe more. would be awesome though
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We just had to buy one after one of our dogs jumped the real fence. We looked at Invisible Fence and PetStop and ended up going with PetStop. It was very expensive (less than $1,000), but he has not tried to jump the fence since. He runs along the edge of the invisible fence and we can hear his collar beeping (indicating he is at the edge and will be zapped a little) if we are out there, but he always tries to push his limits. Both companies come out and install it (they have to put it under the ground so there's a little digging) and then give you and the dog training on how to use it. With PetStop, you have to take the collar off if you plan on taking your dog outside of the yard for a walk.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I think getting one installed is out of the question, but I found some on Amazon. One is wireless - which would be awesome. They have pretty good reviews and don't cost nearly as much as having one installed. I think it's the labor that costs so much.

Penny
Old 03-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know my parents have one - but they installed it themselves. Don't know the name of it - I'll ask though!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

I've got the petsafe wireless one. Our lab is about 8 years old and so lazy she doesn't run around. She liked to wander off into the woods behind us though, so it works perfect for her. I'm not sure how well it would work on a more energetic dog.

I only have it set for a smaller area, probably 40 feet from the receiver - she can't even go to the other end of the house. I had to do it that way because we have a huge drop off in front of our house and if I had it set larger she would be able to walk right down the driveway. Thats because the signal is sent straight out from the transmitter, and she would be able to basically walk under it there as the driveway goes downhill. If you have fairly flat land that shouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We had one. Can't remember the brand, it was $200 or so with the additional wire. Dh installed it, took him most of a weekend to dig it in. I think 1000 feet of wire all together. We did the training & everything & it worked for about a month. But our dog is a wanderer and a real Houdini. She can't be contained. About a month or so after we got it she decided she wanted to go up the road bad enough to take the shock. The next day she did it again. After a couple weeks we dug it up and sold it to some friends who have had much more success with it.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not that I'm trying to convince you to buy an installed system, but a teammate of mine got one of those do-it-yourself-ers and her dog got out and unfortunately was hit by a car. And we heard more than one story like that. It's one of the reasons we opted to spend the extra money on an installed system.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 03-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for your responses...it's really helping me decide.
Julie, our back yard has a pretty steep grade so from what you wrote I don't think the wireless is an option for us.
Our dog is pretty good about hanging out around the house, but I want to be able to put her out when I'm not out there with her. We are out in the middle of nowhere so traffic isn't really an issue. But it is something to consider.

Penny
Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know that the dog adoption groups I've been working with lately are VERY anti invisible fencing. For one thing, it only works with certain types of dogs. Some dogs see the shock as a acceptable price for getting out. It also doesn't prevent other dogs, animals, and even people from getting into your yard. I'm also opposed to shocking dogs just out of principle; it's not a light shock. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wish I could get one, but I highly doubt it would stop my dog from bolting. lol
Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Yea, the invisible fence is a no go for me. First, I don't have confidence that it would actually contain Tigah-now if she wanted to chase something. But mostly, because it doesn't keep other things OUT of my yard, and god forbid something happened, since she's a pit, it would be her fault and she would be euthanised. No way am I taking a chance like that.

We're putting in our fence pretty soon hopefully. Finally, after 3 years of living here and it constantly being put off. I'm stoked!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Chelsey, I hear ya on not wanting to zap a dog, but in our situation a real fence is out of the question, and I think a lead would be more dangerous for her. I honestly think that just the tonal correction would be enough for our dog. She's really good and doesn't run as it is. I just want to be able to put her out for a bit without having to watch her (like when I'm cooking dinner). I hate it when people let their dogs roam free - which happens a lot around here - so just putting her out is out of the question.

Col, yep I can see how it wouldn't work for you. People are nervous with Pits.

Penny

Last edited by Penny Springmann; 03-19-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I think it really depends on the temperment of the dog. An easy going dog is probably the best canidate for this system. As others have pointed out, some dogs will take the shock. But also if your dog is fearful in any way(ie thunder, other loud noises, strange objects). Do NOT get this system. We've had friends whose dogs were entirely terrified to go outside when they implemented this system. But if your dog is confident and not too prey driven, then it might work for you!
Here's another option to consider though. What about getting a pen to put her in? Like one of those chain link enclosed ones? She'd be able to have a place to potty, a place to rest and it'd be bigger than a typical crate. She'd also be safe from other animals and there'd be no training on your part.