Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-07-2021, 05:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Dillema Cricut or Cameo Silhouette?

For a long time I thinking about to buy such machine. After saving some money I'm finally at the point I really want to buy one, but wich one shall I do...

What is better a Silhouette 4 or a Cricut air? Wich one do you have and what are your recommendations?

I have readed about both but I really don't know...
Old 12-07-2021, 06:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I haven't used a Silhouette, but I do have a Cricut Joy and the Cricut Maker 3 (my Christmas present to myself!) I really like the Cricut, although the Design Space software is really annoying to use after being used to Photoshop. The machine itself is super easy and so far I've been happy with all of my projects. You aren't required to use their brand of vinyl and such either, which is nice.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the Cricut Explore Air 2 and I really like it. I've had it for over two years and haven't had any issues with it. My girlfriend has a Silhouette and she swears by hers. I guess it comes down to eenie meenie miney mo ? I think either way you'll be happy with your choice.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My cricut is literally the first one that came out. My silhouette is the first one that came out too, so I really shouldn't comment on the new ones. LOL!!!!!

Old 12-07-2021, 11:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter started with a silhouette (given to us from a friend) but upgraded herself by saving and paying for a cricut. I feel she enjoys the cricut better and it allows her to do more.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am making the same choice right now for a gift for my daughter and I am going with the Silhouette.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the silhouette. I have the portrait, the 2, and recently got a newer one as well. I honestly love mine!
Old 12-08-2021, 01:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyp View Post
For a long time I thinking about to buy such machine. After saving some money I'm finally at the point I really want to buy one, but wich one shall I do...

What is better a Silhouette 4 or a Cricut air? Wich one do you have and what are your recommendations?

I have readed about both but I really don't know...
That's so exciting you can get a new toy! I've been thinking about this too and can't decide. I guess it depends on what you want to do with your cutter. My SIL has a cricut maker with their heat press so she can make t-shirts with vinyl designs and she loves it. I don't think silhouette has a heat press.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have had a Silhouette for quite a while & got a new one (Cameo 4) last year. When I first got a Silhouette, I believe you still needed to get Cricut cartridges for the Cricut, so that's why I made the initial decision. When I got a new one, I just went with what I knew so as not to have to deal with a new-to-me design space/software.
Since people know I have one, they always ask me, "should I get a Cricut or a Silhouette" and I feel like (since I don't have a Cricut, haha), the only thing I can do is send them a link that compares them & let them make their own decision -- https://www.thebeginningartist.com/s...tte-vs-cricut/
Old 12-09-2021, 11:27 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have the original Cricut Explore since 2014 and I love it. I design almost all my own things in Photoshop and upload the pngs to Design Space. Super easy.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 06-23-2023, 03:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So, old thread, but I'm hoping to revive it! LOL!

I have an old (like the first 12" one that uses cartridges) Cricut that I just pulled out of storage. I will be getting rid of it, and am trying to decide between the Cricut Maker 3 and the Silhouette Cameo 4.

For anyone who was debating when this thread was originally posted: Did you decide? If so, which did you pick and what do you like/dislike about the machine?

I've been doing a ton of research and am completely baffled about which to pick!

Thanks!!
Old 06-23-2023, 04:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
So, old thread, but I'm hoping to revive it! LOL!

I have an old (like the first 12" one that uses cartridges) Cricut that I just pulled out of storage. I will be getting rid of it, and am trying to decide between the Cricut Maker 3 and the Silhouette Cameo 4.

For anyone who was debating when this thread was originally posted: Did you decide? If so, which did you pick and what do you like/dislike about the machine?

I've been doing a ton of research and am completely baffled about which to pick!

Thanks!!
I purchased a Silhouette years ago and used it until it dang near didn't work any longer. I debated for a long time on what to get and I happened to find a huge sale on the Cricut Maker, so that's what I bought.

I really (really!) struggled to understand how the Cricut software worked at first. I don't recall struggling at all with the Silhouette. Now it's all fine and easy to use and understand. (Maybe I'm just a slow learner - lololol)

I used to make a lot of greeting cards with the Silhouette and don't find card files I like for Cricut (not that that's a big deal now since I'm back to stamping cards).

Good luck with your choice - It's always fun and a little nerve wracking to try something new!! Let us know what you decide!
Old 06-23-2023, 04:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
I purchased a Silhouette years ago and used it until it dang near didn't work any longer. I debated for a long time on what to get and I happened to find a huge sale on the Cricut Maker, so that's what I bought.

I really (really!) struggled to understand how the Cricut software worked at first. I don't recall struggling at all with the Silhouette. Now it's all fine and easy to use and understand. (Maybe I'm just a slow learner - lololol)

I used to make a lot of greeting cards with the Silhouette and don't find card files I like for Cricut (not that that's a big deal now since I'm back to stamping cards).

Good luck with your choice - It's always fun and a little nerve wracking to try something new!! Let us know what you decide!
Thanks, Jill!
I think part of the issue is that I don't really know what I'll be using it for. I haven't done "real" (physical?) crafts in ages. I feel like my head is going to explode with the amount of information I've consumed. lol!

A friend is buying the machine for me as a thank you for helping her with her move.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

I have both a Cricut Explore Air and a Maker. Love both and still use both of them. The only complaint I have is that if I design something in Design Space (the Cricut software), you have to use a workaround to download it if you want to use it for anything else. All my designs in Cricut are only there, if that makes sense.

Old 06-23-2023, 10:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorigaud View Post
I have both a Cricut Explore Air and a Maker. Love both and still use both of them. The only complaint I have is that if I design something in Design Space (the Cricut software), you have to use a workaround to download it if you want to use it for anything else. All my designs in Cricut are only there, if that makes sense.
Thanks, Lori! That's one of the downsides that I've read about for the Cricut. Also that if you download something from the Cricut store (monthly/annual fee?), if you discontinue paying, you don't keep anything.

Do you feel like you had a huge learning curve with the Silhouette?

Last edited by craftytam; 06-24-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Thanks, Jill!
I think part of the issue is that I don't really know what I'll be using it for. I haven't done "real" (physical?) crafts in ages. I feel like my head is going to explode with the amount of information I've consumed. lol!

A friend is buying the machine for me as a thank you for helping her with her move.
Wow, that's a great friend!!
Old 06-24-2023, 02:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
Wow, that's a great friend!!
That’s for sure!!