Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-21-2021, 01:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Christmas Fun Facts

I thought it might be fun to share some Christmas Fun Facts about ourselves by answering the following questions:

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol?
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie?
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too.
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays?

My answers:

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? Mary Did You Know
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? It's A Wonderful Life
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually I start in August after my son's birthday. But the older I get, the later I start. This year I started on Black Friday.
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so what? Feel free to share some recipes too. No. I used to with my extended family, but that tradition ended not long after my grandmother passed away.
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? We have a gift wrapping party for the family we adopt each year. We come together, wrap all their presents, sing Christmas carols, eat cookies, etc. It is a lot of fun for all of us.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? Gabriel's Message sung by Matt Maher is currently my favorite

2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? Christmas Vacation - though Love Actually does come close

3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I shop year round for Jake... rest I start in November

4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too. Even though my last name means Cake Maker - I hate, hate, hate to bake... haha.

5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? Elf on the Shelf... LOVE it! I have Christopher Popinkins, which is the orginal and the other people ripped off the idea from him. He doesn't report back, just for fun. Everyday he has a back story of what he is doing.. last year was my favorite because I totally spun Covid and quarantining, him renting Barbie's condo where he did all the covid stuff we did... remodeling, amazon shopping, picking up new hobbies, watching tiger king, etc.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? Silent Night, Joy to the World, & Hark the Herald Angels Sing
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? Elf, Grinch cartoon, and The Santa Clause
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? very, very early...often in summer
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too. I usually bake up like 10 treats, but this year I am doing just one thing. A Czech baked good called kolaches that my grandma used to make
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? My little family and I always watch The Santa Clause and go out for sushi
Old 12-21-2021, 02:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Stevie Nicks singing Silent Night
Snowglobe
Was I supposed to have started already?!?
Yes, a few kinds of cookies & some no bake treats. Snickerdoodles, cranberry white chocolate shortbread, chocolate cookies, oatmeal coconut chocolate chip, this year trying another shortbread recipe + lemon cookies.
Drive around looking at Christmas lights.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:52 PM
Banned

profile gallery

O Holy Night always brings tears to my eyes. It's so moving.

Love Noelle and Elf - so fun!

I never shop too early as what the girls want changes throughout the year - so I stick to Oct/Nov before I buy anything. I usually get them one "big money" gift and a few things they need like new socks, tees, etc and then fun things for their stockings.

We love baking and decorating cookies and making gingerbread. My mom also makes the most delicious nazook/gata (an Armenian sweet bun).

Just spending the time together. No electronics. No TV. Just chatter, food, and games. It's a great time to unplug and catch-up with each other.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? "O Come Emmanuel" (Sung by Rosie Thomas)
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie?Anything in black and white, lol! I love The Bishop's Wife, Christmas in Connecticut, The Shop Around the Corner, and of course, It's a Wonderful Life
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Probably November, though this year is pretty ho-hum as far as gifts go.
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too. I've been slowly building up a list of good gluten free goodies. Current faves are chocolate sugar cookies and Finnish ribbon cookies
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? Lots of these traditions have changed over the past few years due to family members moving away and also stupid covid, but most of all I love being together and laughing and taking lots of silly photos and singing.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

El burrito sabanero
Die hard
Usually after Xmas since we celebrate 3 Kings day
cinnamon rolls
Vegetate!

Old 12-21-2021, 07:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? Have yourself a merry little christmas
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? That one I just am not sure about. I've seen lots so many times that it's hard to know if I like any of them anymore.. haha.
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Sometime in November
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too.. nope not a baker.
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? My family plays war when we get together with my parents and my sister and her family. We all buy cheap/funny gifts from the dollar store and put them in a big pile. We then play the cardgame "war" and anytime someone wins they pick a present till there are none left. It's so much fun and the kids usually like that even more than the real presents on christmas morning. Last year we did this via facetime so definitely didn't feel like it usually does.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? I don't really have a favorite, but Hallelujah is NOT a Christmas song and it really gets under my skin when it's treated like one.
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? The Santa Claus; Tim Allen is so funny to me.
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? When I really start to feel the pressure. This year I started on Dec 21.
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too. Only sugar cookies
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? {whispers} I don't really love the holidays. It's not nearly so fun without my mom here to make it magical, and even though I've lived in the tropics all of my adult life, I still have a hard time getting into the holiday spirit when I'm sweating.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? O Holy Night by Josh Groban, God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman by the Bare Naked Ladies/Sarah McLachlan, Gabriel's Message by Sting
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? Elf, Christmas vacation and A Christmas Story
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Whenever I start getting ideas. Usually early November
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too. Not really. My mom does all the baking and enjoys it. She usually makes stollen, cutout cookies, Neiman Marcus bars, lemon bars, a toffee style bar, date balls (not my thing), reindeer noses and who knows what else she decides to try/add. The cornflakes/marshmallow wreathes are one of my faves. Sometimes I make pumpkin bread but I look forward to all her goodies.
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? I always look forward to going to the tree farm and getting our tree. We've gone to the same place for years and on the weekends they do hay rides and have hot cocoa. I also look forward to spending Christmas day with my family and hanging out with all the kids.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? O Holy Night by Josh Groban, God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman by the Bare Naked Ladies/Sarah McLachlan, Gabriel's Message by Sting
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? Elf, Christmas vacation and A Christmas Story
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Whenever I start getting ideas. Usually early November
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too. Not really. My mom does all the baking and enjoys it. She usually makes stollen, cutout cookies, Neiman Marcus bars, lemon bars, a toffee style bar, date balls (not my thing), reindeer noses and who knows what else she decides to try/add. The cornflakes/marshmallow wreathes are one of my faves. Sometimes I make pumpkin bread but I look forward to all her goodies.
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? I always look forward to going to the tree farm and getting our tree. We've gone to the same place for years and on the weekends they do hay rides and have hot cocoa. I also look forward to spending Christmas day with my family and hanging out with all the kids.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? Carol of the Bells by Trans Siberian Orchestra, The Little Drummer Boy by Bob Segar and The Little Drummer Boy played by a pipe and drum band
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? Hands down, Christmas Vacation
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Whenever the mood strikes me, but usually the beginning of December
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too. It depends on my mood. Last year I baked quite a bit, this year I have all the dry ingredients sitting on my counter ready. . . . just waiting for me I guess.
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? Just hang out, get my dad to talk about some of his adventures when he was young and traveling the world. He bought half a camel in what was Yemin, slept in a jail cell because it was cold outside, see what we can get him to divulge this year. Eat and play board games which usually causes quite a bit of laughter.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:33 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? My favorite song is Little Drummer Boy and my favorite carol is anything that reminds me of being a kid - Frosty, Rudolph
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? This is hard. I love The Family Stone but I also love Elf and The Christmas Chronicles
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually in November
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too. If I have the time yes. My favorites are Kolachkes
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? Enjoy their company, go see lights, eat good food….
Old 12-22-2021, 11:48 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

To sing at church: My Soul Magnifies the Lord
O Holy Night and Christmas Canon by TSO

Like to watch all the Santa Claus movies while we're doing Christmas baking with my girls. Otherwise, almost anything but ELF. :shudders: (My girls like it A LOT!)

November - I'd really like to start shopping before then but it never happens and I need to make sure if something needs to be returned it's closer to Christmas...and they keep changing their minds...so definitely not shopping sooner.

This is our list for this year. We divided the list and buy all the ingredients and are baking them tomorrow!! I'm planning to take lots of pictures. I'm also going to try to plan to have all the cookie doughs made today so they are ready to just bake and decorate tomorrow.
Cookie List
  • Oreo Balls
  • White Trash
  • Chocolate Cherry Cookies
  • Sugar Cookies with frosting
  • Soft Sugar Cookies
  • Fudge
  • Shortbreads

Just be together. We have traditions and they have been adjusted as we add new family members. I love that our being together is not about the gifts, although those are nice, it's the time spent with each other.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? Silent Night
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? White Christmas
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? November
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too. we usually make Christmas cookies, peanut butter balls, etc. We were supposed to get together with friends and do pretzel sticks with chocolate, but we are all sick here so we are rescheduling it for next week hopefully.
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? Just be together- play games, watch movies, wrap gifts, bake etc.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. What's your favorite Christmas carol? Carol would be Angels from the Realms of Glory (rarely sung though), song: Christmas Carol by Oak Ridge Boys
2. What's your favorite Christmas movie? For sure Christmas Vacation
3. When do you start shopping for Christmas? December sometimes in November but usually last minute
4. Do you bake for Christmas? If so, what? Feel free to share some recipes too. We make Monster Cookies for Santa, my MIL makes a chocolate Eclair cake for our Happy Birthday Jesus cake and a coconut cake. Also someone makes fudge
5. What is your favorite thing you do with your family at the holidays? Time together is awesome but we love driving to look at Christmas lights and watching Christmas movies.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Canon in D- especially the Trans-Siberian Orchestra version- I've been addicted to all their Christmas songs this year.

Elf, Home Alone, Christmas Vacation- just can't chose one!

Usually around Black Friday

YES! I usually do a ton- but this year we've been crazy busy, so I'm just now getting some of our usuals. I just made these: Raspberry-Gingerbread Thumbprint cookies Instead of the package of cookie mix, I use the Betty Crocker gingersnap recipe. SO yummy! Tomorrow we're doing sugar cookies with royal icing and hot cocoa meringues.

All the little traditions- getting ice cream & driving around looking at lights, going downtown to see the Christmas Tree elegance at the davenport, baking, decorating, wrapping.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:00 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Jingle Bell Rock

Nightmare before Christmas

Usually in the January sales.

No - we have better cooks in my family than me although this year i am making the pavlova

5. What is your favourite thing you do with your family at the holidays?

We have a full baked dinner for lunch, then laze around for a bit while our food goes down. After an hour or so we spend the afternoon in the pool for our annual water polo game
Old 12-24-2021, 02:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Loved reading all your replies! Thanks for sharing.