Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: 07/08

Gee...forgot about it being Monday and posting a new question of the day LOL. So, that prompts me to ask....

How's your memory?

Do you need prompts or reminders for things? Do you forget things easily?
Old 07-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh....I'm terrible at remembering things. I am getting worse with age too LOL. The only good thing is that I'm getting better at making notes, lists, reminders, etc. I've learned to put things on my calendar and on my phone. I am terrible at remembering when I have something in the oven or on the stove, if I've left the kitchen and am off doing something else. So I've learned to tell Siri or Google to set a timer for me.

For digi CT stuff, I have a binder beside my computer with all pertinent info so I won't forget any deadlines/posting times.

So I am more organized than I used to be but my memory is definitely not any better over the years.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My memory is the worst. When I tell my kids things like, "You will be grounded when we get home." they're all, "Sure, mom. We know you'll forget." And it's true. But thank goodness for my phone. I use my reminders app daily. I would never remember anything if my phone didn't remind me.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine stinks. I have developed a love affair with the post-it-note.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I am that bad, except for grocery lists. I have to write them on a post it note, otherwise I'll be missing one thing that I know I can't remember.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I depend on lists, lists, lists and calendar reminders!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My memory is pretty good (but that may just seem that way because everyone around me seems to have no memory) lol. In all seriousness though, I do forget small tasks sometimes, but in the big scheme of things, my memory is like that of an elephant..... I forget nothing! It's great for some things (like my journaling for instance), but horrible for others (theres plenty that I wish I could forget just so I can move on with my life and be happy, however my mind will randomly replay every bad thing, sad thing, mean thing.... basically all the negatives of life even when I am having a great time and not even thinking about those times they just appear and it knocks me down so hard..... I manage to deal with it, but I would seriously love a device that could erase certain things that really don't matter to make room for better things.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
My memory is pretty good (but that may just seem that way because everyone around me seems to have no memory) lol. In all seriousness though, I do forget small tasks sometimes, but in the big scheme of things, my memory is like that of an elephant..... I forget nothing! It's great for some things (like my journaling for instance), but horrible for others (theres plenty that I wish I could forget just so I can move on with my life and be happy, however my mind will randomly replay every bad thing, sad thing, mean thing.... basically all the negatives of life even when I am having a great time and not even thinking about those times they just appear and it knocks me down so hard..... I manage to deal with it, but I would seriously love a device that could erase certain things that really don't matter to make room for better things.
Jenn - that really does sound like the ying and yang of memory, playback and memory of all, good and bad. Hope you have developed some good deflection tools for getting your mind off the negative things. I practive controlled breathing techniques when feeling overwhelmed and it does help me.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I forgot to say that the worst is that my hubs' memory is getting worse so we tell each other to "remember" and then we both forget. Luckily we laugh about it and between the two of us most things get done LOL.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had a better memory before I had kids ... I think the sheer volume of things I have to remember has made it more difficult. I've gotten better about documenting things or setting myself reminders. I don't remember things like lyrics, book titles, authors, artists, etc, but there are other things that I have a very good memory for.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Once upon a time, I had the memory of an elephant, now it's more like that of a goldfish. I have notes, and alarms on my phone, notes on my desk, and I STILL forget things from time to time. I blame it on having kids. They suck out all your brains while theirs are developing.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
I'm like that, too, Jenn! I think one of the reasons I scrapbook is that I think that it's easier to remember the not-so-good and scrapbooks remind us of the good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I had a better memory before I had kids ... I think the sheer volume of things I have to remember has made it more difficult. I've gotten better about documenting things or setting myself reminders. I don't remember things like lyrics, book titles, authors, artists, etc, but there are other things that I have a very good memory for.
Exactly this!!! ^^^

I have learned to write reminders on post-its or on my calendar. I also know that I need to immediately text or tell whoever my thought involves or I'll forget it.

Funny recent story that goes with this. I had been at my mom's for 3-weeks, and headed home because I broke my wrist. One morning (recently...like within the last 5 days!), we were at the table talking. She's been on me about getting a med alert bracelet because I'm on blood thinners. She said something that she really needed to do, but didn't want to, so I told her that if she did that thing, I would get the med ID bracelet. I was on the computer yesterday looking at the bracelets, and she texted me asking what the thing was that she was supposed to do... NEITHER of us could remember what it was. LOL!!!
Old 07-09-2019, 02:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a professional rememberer (as an executive assistant/church administrator) as well as a personal one (2 people in the fam have ADD) so yes, I'm very good at it + have systems in place to help me keep on top of said remembering for one & all.

What I find interesting is that I have very little recollection of my childhood. If I sat down long enough or looked at some photos from that time period, some memories would start to trickle in but it's often the case when someone in the family asks me if I remember this or that happening when I was little & my response is usually "No." Weird, huh?
Old 07-09-2019, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I definitely forget more than I used to so use lists and everything goes on my calendar. My husband is much worse than I am at remembering. I think he just has too much on his mind with his busy work responsibilities, but it’s still of concern!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk