Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Arrow Bound books

I am ready to print my kiddos' books, and I don't want to use Viovio. (sorry Megan, lol) I was looking at my Artscow book, and the binding they used didn't cut off any of my edges like Viovio did.

SO these are the options:
Shutterfly
Artscow
My Pic Tales
Inkubook

Inkubook only offers soft cover, so I am pretty sure I don't want to use them. I would like to use Shutterfly because I have Wendyzine's SF actions and could run them on my pages that are close to the edge, but SF is SO expensive!

Tell me what you used for your bound books, what you liked, didn't like and if you know of any discount coupons.

And if you don't respond well to bossy, then I would like to say
"pretty please!"
Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I've only ever used SF. I liked the quality for sure. One thing I did NOT at all like was that on my 2 page spreads anything that was toward the center of the pages got lost in the binding...i lost quite a bit of detail that way. So if you go w/ them, just make sure you scoot everything away from the center at least 1/2 inch. just fyi.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I've only tried Shutterfly & I've printed about 12. I them! But, I've never paid full price for one! I always buy codes on ebay & usually pay less than $5 for them!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

oh, deb, i had no idea you could do such things! i'll have to check that out for sure!!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Artscow is the only book I've ordered that lays so flat because it is stitched through the center and the stitching was completely exposed. It seems like the stitching will come apart after not too long... but the fact that you don't lose the gutter is nice...

I, personally, am turned off to MPT. I had major issues with a book and some loose pages I printed through them and found the owner to be slightly rude when I complained. I had problems with the pages printing REALLY dark (and no it wasn't my monitor), really grainy photos, and crooked cuts.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by digideb View Post
I always buy codes on ebay & usually pay less than $5 for them!
Talk to me mmore about this. It seems like such a risky thing to do!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love Shutterfly. The color is great. I was worried about losing stuff in the gutter so I had mine printed with the white border. I'm happy with them.

While it is a lot of $$, they will send you coupon codes. Plus, I have tried to figure it out but with what I was paying for cardstock, patterned paper, page protectors, etc. when I was a paper scrapper I think it is pretty much a wash (especially when you can use a sale or coupon). It is just sort of a big purchase now because I'm spending it all at once to get a book printed. That being said, I am very happy with my Shutterfly books.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've printed at Viovio, Inkubook, and My Pictales. The paper on the MPT (My Pictales) book was a little glossier that I would like. The colors were really vivid; however, something about the combo of the glossy paper and the brightness made the photos look a little off. I just did a 20 page 8x8 book, and the pages are glued right into the binding. The way it's put together, you do seem to lose some of the LO in the binding. Overall it was ok, but not my favorite. (Note: It's been over a year since I had my book printed, so it's possible things have changed there...)

I really like the book I got from Inkubook, and that will probably be my printing choice from now on. I did the 11x11 hardcover and can't find much wrong with it. They had some specs on their site for how much area to leave for trimming, and I just followed that and didn't have any problems. Also, while the book is also glued, it didn't end up glued straight to the binding itself, which lets the book open a little more "flat". It's not as flat as a stitched binding like Artscow, but I had less of my LOs in the binding with their 120 page book than I did with my 20 page My PicTales book. I'm assuming you're only looking at the 8x8 size (which is why you only have the softcover option), so the softcover may be a little different. I did love the 11x11 size.

Since you're not looking at Viovio, I'll just note that I liked the sturdiness of their book, but the colors were faded compared to my Inkubook. I printed the exact same book (-20 pages since their limit was lower) so it was a pretty easy comparison.

As for Shutterfly and Artscow, my sister had printed almost identical books at both places. When we looked at them, there were some pages that Shutterfly had printed better, and others that Artscow had printed better. The Shutterfly books I've seen overall have great quality, but it just doesn't seem that much better to me for the money.

Last edited by crystalbird; 08-23-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I made a book for my daughter's teacher using www.mpix.com. You have to look under their "press products". I think their pricing is about the same as Shutterfly. They offer the book using pearl and linen paper too.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm only printed at Artscow and Shutterfly...

This spring I printed at Artscow for the first time... a 12x12 album for my mother in law's vacation back to her home, Russia. The color was very nice and bright, I thought the spine was a bit wimpy, but did lay flatter than others that I've seen. What I didn't like is that it took over a month to print and ship to me... and the odd thing was that it came from Hong Kong... that blew my MIL's mind! And if you sign up for them, you get almost weekly coupons for a free photobooks or other photo products that they sell.

Now Shutterfly... this is where I have the most experience, I think I have printed close to 15 books at this company. My last batch that went there where 5 8x8 books (all the same)... one came back and the binding was crooked and the pages where cut off (they were more than happy to replace it and shipped a new one over night). As for coupons... you can do a search on the web for Shutterfly coupons... you can "pile them up" per order... so I usually wait until there is free shipping, 20% off photo books, and then search for an additional $5 off. If you do enough business with them, the exclusive coupons come to your mailbox... right now I have a free 8x8 book that expires in 3 days... yikes! Better get scrapping!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I've printed with Viovio, Blurb and Inkubook. I've been please with all of them. Inkubooks soft cover book is very sturdy. Mine is 120 pages and has held up very well. My favorite is Blurb,I love their books & their book assembling software. But the only square size they have is 7x7, though the software does scale down your layout to size. I also did a regular photo book with them & was very happy with the results

eta...they do have a 12x12 size now

Last edited by Stacey42; 08-23-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to litabells

Thanks for posting this thread - I've learned a lot
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post

As for coupons... you can do a search on the web for Shutterfly coupons... you can "pile them up" per order... so I usually wait until there is free shipping, 20% off photo books, and then search for an additional $5 off.
Thanks! I didn't realize you could use a coupon with a sale.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Inkubook only offers soft cover, so I am pretty sure I don't want to use them.
I use Inkubook and I love them! They do have hardcover books. I do the 11"x11" hardcover books, they have very reasonable prices. I filled a book up with 120 layouts and it was only $70

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The only album I've every had printed was at Artscow. It turned out great. The other couple place I printed at I just had single prints done!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Shutterfly has 20% off right now and a free shipping code for orders over 40$...so you might want to check them out right now.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Talk to me more about this. It seems like such a risky thing to do!
I've bought Shutterfly codes on eBay before without any problems, just be sure to check the sellers feedback. It's been awhile but I think the ones I bought were for free calendars but I've seen 8x8 books and other stuff if you just do a search for Shutterfly.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I've only used Artscow & LOVE them... My books only take 10-17 days to arrive which is good considering they come from Hong Kong. They always send out freebies & you get TONS of freebies for joining!

Natalie

ThisIsFunStuff!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by digideb View Post
Well, I've only tried Shutterfly & I've printed about 12. I them! But, I've never paid full price for one! I always buy codes on ebay & usually pay less than $5 for them!
Do you remove your project from that person's account when you are done printing? How long do you have access to that account?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have one book from Shutterfly, while its great, it wasn't worth how much more I pay for it compared to Artscow. I have printed probably 15 books with Artscow and have no complaints. Cheap and well worth it.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Artscow user here as well. I live overseas so Artscow is insanely cheap - quality is great too. I've done two books at Shutterfly and for me, the prints were the same. I like Artscow's binding better - my first books (around 2) with them there were "bad" printed pages (too saturated, etc) but the rest (I have 7) were perfect. They have new machines I think.