Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Flowers on boy layouts evisited

Remember the thread about using flowers on boy layouts? I was one of the few who said I just don't do it. I feel funny using flowers for my boy's pages. I don't know why I do but I just do.

Anyway... I scrapped a layout for him yesterday... this one...

... and I called him in to see it. He was like "oh, mommy, I love it but it doesn't have enough" I asked him what it didn't have enough of. He told me, "it needs flowers and butterflies and bunnies and more stuff like that" I asked him if he really wanted me to make him a page with flowers and stuff on it and he got all excited, gave me a huge hug and said yes.

So... I scrapped him another page last night. This one was HARD. I used flowers though. Well, floral paper. I tried using more flower embellishments but I couldn't bring myself to do it. When he woke up this morning I showed it to him and he got so excited. He was all smiles and hugs and said he loved it.

I guess I have to put aside my distaste for scrapping boy pages with flowers and just do it since that's what he wants and all. I'm sure we'll laugh about it later, when he's a teenager and I tell him how he wanted flowers on his pages.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Aww there's nothing wrongbwith flowers on boy pages...I use them a lot! Flowers aren't inherently girlie!
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Aw, that's so sweet. And who says boys can't like flowers and butterflies?
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

that's so cute!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Love this. I think you should actually scrap a page ABOUT him asking you for flowers on his page. It will be such a fun memory to look back on in the future!

For the record, my 4-yr old son has gone through many phases of "obsession" (LOL)... usually with regard to favorite color/etc... and after about a year of loving orange more than anything else in the world, he suddenly fell in love with pink this past winter. For about 3-4months, he wanted pink everything. We obliged, because it made him SO happy! *EDITOR'S NOTE: he's now very VERY into blue... go figure!* ...I think kids just love whatever it is that makes them happy. And if flowers make your son happy, well, at least he's happy! Yay!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

hee hee... so cute!! My kiddo just likes to see photos of himself...
Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww! Well, my opinion is that a great page looks great because of how you put it together... whether that be with lots of flowers or no flowers at all! The flowers themselves aren't "girly"--they are just decoration. So, yeah! Go for it!

There's nothing about your beautiful page that looks off to me... the colors are just right and say "Boy Page!" to me. So what if the images are flowers? LOL! The page looks awesome! And that's what would matter to me.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Both of those pages are awesome, Sherri!!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I always use flowers, and I think it's super sweet that he likes it! But I like that top one, too. : )
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari

Oh I agree! Flowers are good on both boy and girl layouts and I love your page!!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww that's so sweet

I always use flowers if the kit has them in, I'm obsessed.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always use flowers on my layouts, and I have 3 boys. I even scrap them with girly kits. They never complained. :P
Old 04-10-2012, 05:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So cute! I always use flowers, I don't care whether it's a boy or girl page (although I usually have them both on one page ). It just feels wrong to me if I don't have flowers on a page!!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always use flowers on pages with my son's pics. I just tuck them halfway behind photos or cover them with buttons so they don't stick out as much but I'm a flower addict so I have to use them all the time!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That is so cute! And good for you for making him a special page. I'm glad he loves it
Old 04-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You know, I never used to think of flowers as girly but then I had a CT member years ago who always commented negatively about the flowers in my boy kits. She wanted other stuff to cluster and layer and didn't care for the flowers. I asked around and some other CT members felt the same way and I had some customers who mentioned it as well so I stopped putting flowers in my boy kits and I took things another direction. Suddenly I had lots of people telling me I had great boy kits and they were selling really well so I figured that maybe flowers just weren't so popular for boys.

I've never used too many flowers in layouts because they always feel awkward for me. Even when a page just screams for flowers I have trouble getting them the way I want. (I'm working on that though ) Since I already had 'flower issues' and had heard negative comments about boy kits and flowers, I just steered waaay clear of them. I think I have a couple of pages for Declan with flowers on them but they were quickpages that I loved and used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whites19 View Post
Love this. I think you should actually scrap a page ABOUT him asking you for flowers on his page. It will be such a fun memory to look back on in the future!

For the record, my 4-yr old son has gone through many phases of "obsession" (LOL)... usually with regard to favorite color/etc... and after about a year of loving orange more than anything else in the world, he suddenly fell in love with pink this past winter. For about 3-4months, he wanted pink everything. We obliged, because it made him SO happy! *EDITOR'S NOTE: he's now very VERY into blue... go figure!* ...I think kids just love whatever it is that makes them happy. And if flowers make your son happy, well, at least he's happy! Yay!
I was thinking I would scrap a page about him asking and talk about other bits of his personality that are standing out to me right now. We're also in the pink phase. My husband's favorite color was always pink through high school (pink and black together mostly) but I was still surprised when Declan suddenly became obsessed with pink. He wanted his room painted pink.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son always tells me, "Mommy, its ok for boys to like some girl things and for girls to like some boy things, right?" He has a tea set and a pink purse and couple of small princesses. At first his dad was concerned and didn't like it, but then he watched how he played with these girl toys and quickly realized its not a big deal, he plays with them in a totally boy way. I say embrace the flowers!

ETA, I don't include them in every page cause yeah, it is a boy page, but I use them when they feel needed.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've always allowed our girl to have boy toys and our boy, by default, ended up playing with a lot of girl toys too (he came along second). My grandma bought every baby in the family a doll when he/she was born. I was the only girl for the first 14 years of my life so she bought a lot of boys dolls. My cousin stripped his down and called it Baby Jesus. I told DH before we ever had kids that I didn't want to deem something 'for girls' or 'for boys'. I've never done so with anything either... except the use of flowers on his layouts. LOL And there, honestly, it just kind of happened, I never sat and said "I will NOT put a flower on a boy layout"
Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I started using flowers recently because of a thread like this and love it I've got 2 boys so lots of boy colours and flowers too.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

They're both great LOs. I think it's nice that he gets so excited about his pages and lets you know how he wants them to look! I only use flowers when they work for the theme because 1 of my boys doesn't like having them on his pages (or any pink or purple), but if one of them were asking I'd definitely use them.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I love the flower page! I don't use tons of flowers on my boy pages, but sometimes it totally works! Your flower page is so about the pics, that the flowers fade into the background and it looks fab without being girly. Both pages rock btw. I can't leave comments in the gallery yet, but I wanted to comment on the awesome Suess page when I saw it.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Too cute! I love flowers, and definitely love them on boy pages, so I hope Zach is accepting of that. As for your pages, they're adorable, and the fact that he asked for flowers? That's awesome!

Jeffrey (11) is also going through the pink phase. For a very long time, his favorite color was "sparkly gold."

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Great pages Sherri. I asked my 20 year old son how he felt about flowers on his pages and he says he is cool with it. He's assured me that he is secure enough in his masculinity to have a few flowers on his pages. The kid makes me laugh my butt off.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is SOO PRECIOUS!!!!! That's just great that he feels that way. Now you can just go for it!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is too cute that your little boy asked to have flowers on his page! And I agree you need to scrap that. Both are great pages!

I've actually never asked my boys about it, as it's me who doesn't like them on their pages. LOL I guess I'm just not a flowery person - I don't wear flowers and you won't find a flower pattern anywhere in my house. But if you want to bring me fresh flowers - I love that!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Love it! And, that chocolate bunny is just too cute, too!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

First of all, thank you everyone for the comments on my pages. I think my boy is pretty cute, but I'm biased and he's 6 so he's still in that 'cute' phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
That is too cute that your little boy asked to have flowers on his page! And I agree you need to scrap that. Both are great pages!

I've actually never asked my boys about it, as it's me who doesn't like them on their pages. LOL I guess I'm just not a flowery person - I don't wear flowers and you won't find a flower pattern anywhere in my house. But if you want to bring me fresh flowers - I love that!
I never asked mine about it either and I'm also not much of a flowery person. Like you, I don't wear flowers (I think I have one shirt that has a muted floral pattern but that's not why I like it) and I don't have anything on it with a floral pattern in the house aside from an old bedspread that I got for the color not for the pattern. I love fresh flowers too but just don't really get into flowers much. I can't say I don't like them because there are some that grab me and I think to myself how pretty they are, but I move on because they just aren't 'me'.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love it!

For the record - my 24 year-old son, former Marine, big tough firefighter LOVES flowers. He loves gardening and grows all kinds of flowers in their yard The pages I scrapped for him over the years have flowers on them - not tons of them but here and there when appropriate - none on his speedway racing pages, however LOL It never bothered him that I used flowers because I didn't use frilly pink and lavender flowers - more masculine ones, KWIM?