Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default NSBR: Recipe Organization

Please give me your suggestions for organizing my recipes into one place. I have many recipes pinned on Pinterest or saved to my Evernote. In my kitchen I have a box of recipes on 4x6 cards and I also have a binder with various recipes printed out. It drives me absolutely nuts that I don't know where to look for a particular recipe. I need one system. My husband wants me to print them all and organize them in the binder. I think in this day and age I should be able to access them electronically from anywhere. This weekend we were at my FILs and I would've liked to been able to see my recipes. So I'm looking for suggestions. It is going to take a big time commitment to get them organized but I'm sick of my current system or lack there of. I'm sure there are apps for this but what if I type them all in and then the app is gone one day?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Even though it is an app, I have used Pepperplate for the last several years and love it, especially since it will automatically add recipes from the browser if I use the widget (?). I know I have used certain productivity apps that have disappeared, and they have almost always had set up some way to migrate the information into another application or program.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use the AnyList app for my recipes. It has a quick import button that works on my iOS phone as well as a browser extension for when I'm on my (Windows) big computer. I like one-click saving from most web sites. Plus I can share the recipes easily. Oh and if there's a picture, I can save it with the recipe so I can browse photos just like a cookbook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I think Pepperplate pretty much works like AnyList app. It also lets you make up menus, shopping lists, etc.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

PAPRIKA IS AMAZING!!

Seriously, the best thing I've ever done for my recipes! You can can get it on the computer, ipad, iphone (I'm sure android too) and it'll sync across platforms. You can make your menus, shopping lists. It is seriously my favorite app ever!
Old 11-29-2015, 10:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Here's a little screenshot. I love it so much!

It has an internal browser too, to search the web. I can't say enough good things about it.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a good suggestion for organizing them, but I've taken photos of my favorite paper recipes (especially the handwritten ones from family members) so that I have a digital copy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2015, 11:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can not say enough good things about Plan To Eat. It's a few bucks a month but totally worth it. You can import recipes even from blogs with just one button (like the Pinterest button) and it organizes your shopping lists & meal planning. You could plan for a whole month and then choose which days you are shopping for and print out a list for just that time. I have it all set up so that when I'm shopping I just go down aisle by aisle and get everything in the order the store is laid out. I've been using it for about 2 years now.

https://www.plantoeat.com

You can try it for 30 days for free.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:52 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I use Paprika too and love it!

Old 11-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use my Google Drive - copy and paste the recipe into a Drive document and save. I use an old iPad on a stand in my kitchen so all I have to do is open Drive search for what I want and then I can read the recipe and cook right from it.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Im planning to make a scrapalbum with my favorite recipes.
scan in the foto' s and type the text, so ill have a cookbook
Old 11-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow! Lots of good suggestions here ladies! I'm going to have to take a look at them and decide.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you for asking this question and thank you ladies for your suggestions.

So far what I've been doing is creating a digital scrapbook of our family's favorite recipes. Then when I'm looking for something or my mom wants a recipe I just go into my scrapbooks and print the page (some of the pages are probably in my gallery here). But of course I don't have all recipes I might want in the family scrapbook added yet. For new recipes I usually print them off and file but then I have to physically look through the file of print outs. I'm going to look into that Paprika app to see if it will help me too. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Looks like the Paprika app is $10 for the computer and $3 for the phone and $3 for the iPad. It sounds like Vanessa and Lydia think it's worth it. I have checked the price of the others yet.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It looks like Valerie's Plan to Eat is 50% off until tomorrow!
Old 11-29-2015, 10:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Question about Paprika, AnyList, or Pepperplate for those who use them--if you add a recipe from the web, do you know if it's actually storing the recipe or just linking back? Part of the reason I've stuck with printing mine is that I don't want to lose a favorite if someone changes their blog host or a site closes.

Last edited by rach3975; 11-29-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default NSBR: Recipe Organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Question about Paprika for those who use it--if you add a recipe from the web, do you know if it's actually storing the recipe or just linking back? Part of the reason I've stuck with printing mine is that I don't want to lose a favorite if someone changes their blog host or a site closes.

It copies it into the app itself with a link to go to the site if you want. So it stores it for you. You copy it in and check over it, then save it. It's so great!!

Old 11-29-2015, 10:39 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
It copies it into the app itself with a link to go to the site if you want. So it stores it for you. You copy it in and check over it, then save it. It's so great!!

Yep. It's awesome.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Even though I have a lot of recipes, I make the same things over and over. It's 60% due to the frustration of my kids not liking most of what I try and 40% due to laziness. So you've all got me intrigued now, and I checked out a few recipe organizers tonight.

I'm on an Android phone, so it looks like Anylist isn't an option for me. Paprika exists, but some of the reviews mention that the Android version isn't as good as the iPhone app. I also wanted something that would let me add recipes from my computer but use/browse them on my phone without paying twice.

So far I've downloaded Pepperplate and Copy Me That. I haven't tried either one, but I'll report back when I have some time to play with them. Copy Me That seems to be relatively new, but 2 things I like about it are that it allows you to download your recipes at any time and that the meal planner includes photos.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post

I also wanted something that would let me add recipes from my computer but use/browse them on my phone without paying twice.
This is one of the reasons I like to use Google Drive - I can copy and paste from my computer into Drive and then open it on my phone or iPad and it's free, which is the best part for me because I'm super tight with a dollar
Old 11-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Now I'm in way over my head. Tried to download Paprika but it said my Mac OS was outdated. Now I'm trying to get OS X El Capitan? as my operating system and it'll probably screw up my whole computer!