Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-17-2015, 08:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Mineral-based makeup...

Anyone have tried or currently using them? I've read many positive & negative reviews on mineral makeup, and it's not helping lol. How do they feel like?

And for foundations, most of the ones that I found are in powder form, so do you mix them with a little bit of water before applying?
Old 01-17-2015, 08:28 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

they have a different consistency than the store brand powders you'd normally buy- more translucent maybe?, you can build it up and not look like a weird over powdered person LOL.

everyday minerals is my brand of choice, though admittedly I've been out for a while :P but I really do like their products.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have used Bare Minerals but switched to Tarte...I love the coverage I get from Tarte over Bare Minerals.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to use Bare Minerals. You just apply the powder to your face. You don't need to add water. For a while I liked it but I switched back to liquid because it was melting off halfway through the day. But I know people who swear by it. I do have oily skin and live in a hot climate.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do you use their foundation? Is it powder-based?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenshield View Post
I have used Bare Minerals but switched to Tarte...I love the coverage I get from Tarte over Bare Minerals.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:37 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I used Everyday Minerals too, and I like it a lot. It feels really light, but you can build up the coverage. No water needed.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE mineral make up! I live over in the Philippines, and I spent 9 years in Kota Kinabalu, so it's pretty hot & humid year round. I have found it to last much longer than liquid foundation; I spent all day in a village during hot season & came home to find that I still looked like I'd put on make up that morning. That NEVER happens to me with liquid foundation. I will say that primer makes it last longer. Seems kind of dumb to put something on BEFORE your foundation, but it really does help it stay on.

Can you get it where you are at or do you have to order it? If you can try it out in person, you'll have better luck finding a shade that works for you. Brands are different, too. Bare Essentials doesn't work for me at all, but I love my Philosophy Supernatural Air Brushed Canvas.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used Bare Minerals for years. It's a powder form, but covered better than the liquids I'd always used. You have to buy a special brush to apply it and you can start with a little and build up till you like how it looks, I loved that about it. But I think as I was aging and my hormones were changing or something, my skin was feeling dry and I eventually went back to liquid. I miss it sometimes, but I just don't feel like diving into the initial expense of the base set and brushes again.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used to use liquid foundation but I switched to mineral makeup a few years ago and I like it a lot. I originally tried Bare Minerals and it did not work for me. Too orange and the bismuth oxychloride in it made my skin itchy and breakout with crazy painful breakouts.

I ended up switching to Alima Pure and I love it. It's one of the purer mineral makeups on the market so it's actually made my sensitive skin better and they have a wide variety of shades so I was able to find one that's a match. They're online only but they sell samples for $1.75 so you can easily try a bunch of products/shades before investing in the full sizes. They have all their full size foundations on sale right now too. Cant recommend them enough! http://www.alimapure.com
Old 01-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakirahzakaria View Post
Do you use their foundation? Is it powder-based?
Yes, I have used their foundations...powder and liquid. If I want a lot of coverage, I will use the liquid and then a light coat of powder.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a Bare Minerals girl. My face is much clear since I switched last year, but it might just be because I outlasted my acne finally. lol
Old 01-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've used Everyday Minerals for a very long time... in fact, I think I heard about it here. I want to say almost 10 years. It's also what I bought for my girls when they were ready to try makeup. I have to use a moisturizer every morning to "prime" my skin for the powder, but I think everyone needs to use a moisturizer with sunscreen everyday anyway. I use a base powder and then a finishing powder. That's pretty much all the makeup I use. Ever. In fact, last night I was having photos taken and I had to run out and buy cheap mascara, eye liner and eye shadow because I didn't have any. Will probably give it to my daughter because I can't imagine I'll use it again. Base and finishing is all I need.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to danagirl82

I have used several brands but am currently loving the BM liquid called bare skin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2015, 11:00 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I love love love Bare Minerals and have been using it for about 5 years. Literally can't use cheapie makeup from Target anymore. I usually buy it at Ulta. However, after reading this I might need to look into Tarte....
Old 01-21-2015, 07:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have oily skin too, and this is why I've not jumped into mineral makeup yet. Coz most of what we have in my country are powdered. Thanks for sharing your experience. I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesmom View Post
I used to use Bare Minerals. You just apply the powder to your face. You don't need to add water. For a while I liked it but I switched back to liquid because it was melting off halfway through the day. But I know people who swear by it. I do have oily skin and live in a hot climate.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You're like me, I'm just a moisturizer & foundation kinda girl. I don't have the time nor patience to do my eyebrows, lashes and contouring! If I have time, I'd put some highlighter on a few areas to enhance my look and dab some lipstick, but that's it. But I love seeing people who do the complete makeup thing. For me though, I just want to look decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKim View Post
I have to use a moisturizer every morning to "prime" my skin for the powder, but I think everyone needs to use a moisturizer with sunscreen everyday anyway. I use a base powder and then a finishing powder. That's pretty much all the makeup I use. Ever.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh man, I have acne too.. it's the worst. I'm finally able to titrate down the medicine that's causing my acne (I have to take it to stabilise my mood), and my skin hasn't been this good in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlathrall View Post
I'm a Bare Minerals girl. My face is much clear since I switched last year, but it might just be because I outlasted my acne finally. lol
Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've heard of Alima Pure but haven't tried it yet. Thanks Lynnette for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I used to use liquid foundation but I switched to mineral makeup a few years ago and I like it a lot. I originally tried Bare Minerals and it did not work for me. Too orange and the bismuth oxychloride in it made my skin itchy and breakout with crazy painful breakouts.

I ended up switching to Alima Pure and I love it. It's one of the purer mineral makeups on the market so it's actually made my sensitive skin better and they have a wide variety of shades so I was able to find one that's a match. They're online only but they sell samples for $1.75 so you can easily try a bunch of products/shades before investing in the full sizes. They have all their full size foundations on sale right now too. Cant recommend them enough! http://www.alimapure.com
Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You lived in KK?? Wow, that's awesome! Yes, it's always hot and humid in Malaysia. Sephora has opened up a few shops here and I think they have Bare Minerals. There's also a few other brands that aren't famous, but look like they have shades catered for yellowish Asian skin (like mine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I LOVE mineral make up! I live over in the Philippines, and I spent 9 years in Kota Kinabalu, so it's pretty hot & humid year round. I have found it to last much longer than liquid foundation; I spent all day in a village during hot season & came home to find that I still looked like I'd put on make up that morning. That NEVER happens to me with liquid foundation. I will say that primer makes it last longer. Seems kind of dumb to put something on BEFORE your foundation, but it really does help it stay on.

Can you get it where you are at or do you have to order it? If you can try it out in person, you'll have better luck finding a shade that works for you. Brands are different, too. Bare Essentials doesn't work for me at all, but I love my Philosophy Supernatural Air Brushed Canvas.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tarte...I think I've seen it sold online. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenshield View Post