Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2012, 01:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone have a mirrorless or compact system camera?

I've spent all night researching cameras, and my head is spinning. I want better image quality than my Canon P&S (which is starting to break), but a DSLR is too big and too much camera for how I'll use it. I was considering the Canon G12 or Nikon 7100, but the entry level mirrorless camera systems start at around the same price. Anyone have one or know anything about them? From what I've been reading they aren't as good for shooting active children as a DSLR would be, but I'm guessing they'd still be much better than the point and shoots I've always had. Do you have any idea how they'd perform compared to a camera like the G12? I take a lot of pictures of the kids indoors (moderate light) and action shots outdoors (backyard play and playgrounds, not running). I want to be able to shoot some HD video (720 or 1080), but still image quality is my primary concern. Thanks for any help you can give me!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a G11 about a year ago and also a Canon 50D at that time. I bought the G11 because I thought I wanted something smaller to carry around in my purse but I never used it because it just couldn't compare in quality to my 50D so I ended up selling it. Part of that is because I just never took the time to learn it because I knew a girl on the photography forum I am on that took AMAZING pictures with hers. It was the reason I wanted one. The thing about these cameras is that you still have the manual features like with a DSLR and they also have a line of interchangeable lenses but they are smaller. The one thing I did LOVE about the G11 though was the video I was able to take. That was about the only thing I ended up using it for because my 50D didn't have video.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the Sony NEX-C3 which most people in this forum told me was not worth the money and I should just go DSLR ... which I was not ready for.So anyway, this camera is amazing. As for motion you have complete control ifyou want it and I can get a perfect still ofa fan when it is on high speed. You can check out the specifications tab for all the info
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Rachel, I don't have one, but thanks so much for asking! I was about to post the same question. My dslr is ancient and I'm not happy with my p&s, so I was looking at mirrorless cameras and have the same questions as you.

Tanyia, how does yours do on action shots? Like a soccer game...

Penny
Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have one either, but I have considered getting one to throw in my purse in addition to my D90. Honestly, I know I'd use it because I use my little cheapo kodak playsport that takes really craptastic pics because it is tiny and fits in my purse. I'd be thrilled to have a higher quality camera in a quick and easy to fit format. No recs though as I have no experience. I use my Nikon D90 about 80% of the time anyway, but I like to be able to take pics everywhere, and there are just some places I don't lug the big cam around.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

huh... I've never heard of the term mirrorless cameras... as these the ones that have interchangeable lenses?

I think y'all know my unnatural love for my G12...
Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ive never heard of a mirrorless camera but wanted to echo the praise for the Canon G12. I actually sold my DSLR (Rebel Xsi) and "downgraded" to the G12 and have been very happy with it. The Rebel was just so big and bulky and I never took the time to learn to use it properly and came to the realization that I never would. I just want to be a mom taking pics of her kids and not worrying about all of the other stuff trying to take manual shots. So yeah- the G12 rocks!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'd never heard of a mirrorless camera until last night, but it seems they're a newer type that is bridging the gap between DSLRs and compacts. They are closer to a compact in size and many are meant to have an interface comfortable for point and shoot users, but they have larger sensors and interchangeable lenses like a DSLR for good image quality. It seems like they work well on full auto, or you can take as much manual control as you want. Here's the DPReview site's primer on them. The one thing I haven't found yet but want to is a direct comparison of some of the entry level mirrorless cameras against bridge cameras like the G12. The criticisms I've found so far are all in comparison to DSLRs (doesn't autofocus as fast, not as good for sports or in low light, batteries don't last as long), but they seem to perform better than compacts on those same features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
As for motion you have complete control ifyou want it and I can get a perfect still ofa fan when it is on high speed. You can check out the specifications tab for all the info
Yay! That sounds great.

Last edited by rach3975; 08-20-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Rachel, Did you decide?

Penny
Old 08-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I did. I ordered Olympus's entry level mirrorless yesterday, the Pen E-PM1 (aka the PEN Mini). I can't wait to get it! I'll let you know what I think once it gets here and I've had a chance to play with it a bit.

I was leaning toward the PEN Mini because it has been reviewed well and fit my budget, but the special deal Olympus has going right now sealed the deal. When you buy the camera (with the kit lens) plus a zoom lens from the Olympus website, the $299 zoom lens ends up being $99.

Last edited by rach3975; 08-26-2012 at 07:09 PM.