Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Random question for the parents...

At what age did your little one(s) start to crawl?

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My son never really crawled. He learned to pull himself up and started walking at 8 months. It was crazy how fast it all happened.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:59 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Yeah - my kids have done the military crawl for the most part. I think Raegan did finally get up on her hands and knees sometime right before she started walking (12 mos). But, Sean and Ian just stayed on their bellies. They got pretty fast too.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

DS was a preemie at 35 weeks so the first year he kind of hit all his milestones a month behind the norm...he crawled at almost 10 mos and didn't walk til 13 mos.

DD crawled at 8 mos and then walked just a few weeks later right before she was 9 mos..she hasn't stopped moving since lol

Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I had one crawler and two butt-scooters. The butt scooters just sat upright and scooted across the floor! Can't remember what ages though, sorry!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

6 mos and 8 mos
Old 03-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

I'm the bad mom who doesn't remember. LOL!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DS never crawled - he went from rolling (that kid rolled EVERYWHERE!) to pulling himself up at about 10 months and walking right after that.

DD was a preemie at 30 weeks and she crawled at around 8 months or so and was walking right around her 1st birthday.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Neither of my boys were crawlers, they kind of went from zero to cruising pretty quickly. I think 5-7 months is pretty typical though. Michael was walking at 11 mo and Thomas at 8 or 9 mo., but they were both cruising for a couple of months before they let go.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Blake started crawling right before he hit 8 months. And he was walking at 10 months. Don't think Landon is going to be quite as fast though - he just figured out how to roll over LOL but he might surprise me!

Is Matthew getting close to crawling?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes it seems like he is. He's 9 months old today but he doesn't crawl. He will roll to "get places" but not all the time. This is new territory for me as Ben was army crawling by about 7 months and pulling up on things by 9 months. So I am feeling all worried like Matthew was behind, in spite of my rational brain saying he's FINE.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww my 9 month old is really just starting to get good at the army crawl, but she is nowhere near belly-up crawling. I've been worried because she doesn't stand (supported) at all. DS would put some weight on his feet when we would hold him up from the start, but she just goes limp legged. She's starting to, but still would just rather sit. She's getting heavy so I just want her to move already!

All babies are different. I have to keep reminding myself that too.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

DS1 was 6 months, DD was 5 months. DS2 has a motor planning disorder, so he was 15 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
Sometimes it seems like he is. He's 9 months old today but he doesn't crawl. He will roll to "get places" but not all the time. This is new territory for me as Ben was army crawling by about 7 months and pulling up on things by 9 months. So I am feeling all worried like Matthew was behind, in spite of my rational brain saying he's FINE.
Anytime you're worried, I strongly recommend going to the pediatrician and asking. Chances are everything is fine, but if they aren't the earlier you know and start physical therapy the better. DS2 was always on the slower side meeting milestones, and for a while DH and I tried hard not to compare to DS1 who was early on everything. But at DS2's 9 month visit we finally asked if we needed to be concerned, and our pediatrician referred us to the county's early intervention people for a free evaluation. Turns out that DS2 had low tone and was behind where he should have been, so he started physical and speech therapy a month later. Because he was seeing the therapists so young, his motor planning disorder was eventually diagnosed much earlier than it otherwise would have been. For that particular disorder, early, specialized therapy makes a big difference, so I've always been so thankful that we had the courage to ask and that our pediatrician took it seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaGardner View Post
I'm the bad mom who doesn't remember. LOL!
That's what the scrapbook pages are for! My memory stinks, so I only remember what makes it into the books.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-03-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest did this weird ... half roll, stretch forward and do that on each side, back and forth - slowly moving forward, lol. He preferred that for a LONG time. I wanna say he didn't really start crawling till ... 8 or 9 months. Didn't walk till 13mo.

My youngest was an early kid. He was climbing up the stairs before he crawled (around 6mo) and I think he crawled for about a week before he pulled himself up and was walking with the help of furniture (8mo) and was pretty much solo (no furniture help) by 9mo. Yeah - he was busy, lol.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest didn't crawl until she was almost 11 months old. She didn't sit on her own until almost 8 months old and she didn't walk until she was 15 months old. She had no medical issues, just no desire. When she finally got around to doing something, she did it well. The day she took her first steps she walked across the room chasing down a teenager who had been feeding her M&M's. Later that same day she was RUNNING after my MIL's dog. Literally running. She never took those tentative baby steps where they take a step or two, fall and start over. Nope, when she finally decided to walk she was relatively sure-footed and took very few spills. She's always been that way though, doesn't do something until she knows she can do it well, she doesn't like to make mistakes.

My son... total opposite. He started trying to crawl at 5 months. He scooted around every time he was on his belly. He finally got moving at around 6.5 months. He crawled on his hands and feet instead of his knees. He'd put is legs straight and he looked like some kind of a funky spider crawling around. Everyone loved it. I still like to think about it because he was so darn cute! He did that until he started walking. He took his first steps around 9 months old but didn't actually get to taking more than one or two at a time until he was closer to 10.5 months. He was walking pretty good by 11 months, unless you tried to put shoes on him then he'd fall flat on his rump, he couldn't walk in shoes of any sort.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
DS1 was 6 months, DD was 5 months. DS2 has a motor planning disorder, so he was 15 months.

Anytime you're worried, I strongly recommend going to the pediatrician and asking. Chances are everything is fine, but if they aren't the earlier you know and start physical therapy the better. DS2 was always on the slower side meeting milestones, and for a while DH and I tried hard not to compare to DS1 who was early on everything. But at DS2's 9 month visit we finally asked if we needed to be concerned, and our pediatrician referred us to the county's early intervention people for a free evaluation. Turns out that DS2 had low tone and was behind where he should have been, so he started physical and speech therapy a month later. Because he was seeing the therapists so young, his motor planning disorder was eventually diagnosed much earlier than it otherwise would have been. For that particular disorder, early, specialized therapy makes a big difference, so I've always been so thankful that we had the courage to ask and that our pediatrician took it seriously.

That's what the scrapbook pages are for! My memory stinks, so I only remember what makes it into the books.
Was he physically behind on other milestones? Like gross motor milestones, that is. Because Matthew is great at rolling, tries to do "baby situps", and sits up like a champ for a LONG time (if I put him that way, he can't get to sitting from laying down by himself)...he just won't move. I know how much extra work a mobile baby is but it's becoming quite tedious to have to "rescue" things for him all the time! I think he's just lazy, but I will ask at his 9 month appt next week for sure!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
Was he physically behind on other milestones? Like gross motor milestones, that is. Because Matthew is great at rolling, tries to do "baby situps", and sits up like a champ for a LONG time (if I put him that way, he can't get to sitting from laying down by himself)...he just won't move. I know how much extra work a mobile baby is but it's becoming quite tedious to have to "rescue" things for him all the time! I think he's just lazy, but I will ask at his 9 month appt next week for sure!
Yes, Ben was slow at all his physical milestones, but not truly late on the earlier ones. In other words, he was on the later side of normal but still within normal age ranges. It's only as he started to work on more complex skills that he started to seem behind. Here are the ages he hit various milestones (taken from going back to the LOs to check). Crawling was actually one of his hardest and most delayed because it takes so much coordination to work 2 arms and 2 legs at the same time.

Rolling-3.5 months (He was a bit late but turned into a master roller, rolling across rooms to get where he wanted)
Sitting-first time at 7 mo, sitting well by 9 mo (but was delayed in getting himself into a sitting position. Until after 12 mo we had to put him into a sitting position in order for him to sit)
Lifting onto hands and knees (for the first time, not well)-10 months
Standing if we held his hands for balance or let him hold onto furniture-10 months
crawling-15 months
walking (first independent steps)-18 months

He was also behind others his age in eating, not able to handle the food textures that other babies his age could. We didn't realize it at the time, but that was the first sign of his speech difficulties. His speech was a lot more delayed than his physical milestones. At 9 months we weren't expecting speech so didn't realize it, but the early intervention team picked it up right away.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Remember that crawling isn't a developmental milestone.

My first crawled at 8 months, my second at 6 months and my third at just about 7 months.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Zach got up on his hands and knees and was rocking at 5 1/2 months. He started crawling at 6 months, but he scoots more than anything... when he isn't thinking about it, he crawls like a pro, but as soon as he thinks about it, or feels like someone is watching, he starts scooting around instead. He's pulling up and walks holding our hands, so my guess is he's going to skip right over crawling and walk instead.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 03-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

emma always army crawled. never really crawled. she started about 7/8 months and walked at 13 months.

m crawled at 5 months (heaven help me) and walked at 8 months.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Nicholas started crawling around 8 months or so I think and was standing up on his own in the middle of the room at 9 months, but didn't walk until 15 months. One of my friends pointed out to me that Nick doesn't practice things, he might do them a bit later, but he comes right out mastering it. Like there was no couple of steps and fall down kind of thing, he went straight to walking great once he did. Same thing with speaking. At 2, he had 5 words. But 2.5 he was speaking like a person with full sentences and everything. All kids learn on their own pace, I didn't worry about things too much.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kid was a big fat baby. Took him awhile to move all that mass around. He didn't crawl until 10 months and then walk until about 14 months.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:52 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Nicholas started crawling around 8 months or so I think and was standing up on his own in the middle of the room at 9 months, but didn't walk until 15 months. One of my friends pointed out to me that Nick doesn't practice things, he might do them a bit later, but he comes right out mastering it. Like there was no couple of steps and fall down kind of thing, he went straight to walking great once he did. Same thing with speaking. At 2, he had 5 words. But 2.5 he was speaking like a person with full sentences and everything. All kids learn on their own pace, I didn't worry about things too much.
My Sean is like this too. He gets everything a little later than the other kids. But, once he does them, he has it down! He did it with walking, talking, potty training, tying his shoes, reading, and riding his bike. He went from a scaredy cat with training wheels to a maniac on two wheels in the matter of one hour. And, he was almost seven years old. I've just learned that that's how he is. I've never been worried about him developmentally.

But, if you are worried, there's certainly nothing wrong with asking your pediatrician about it. You'll either find out that there's nothing wrong, or you'll find out that something is wrong and you'll be that much better off for being able to address it early.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well said, Lydia.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Both my kids were early crawlers at 5 months.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Kennedy crawled at 6 months. She took her first actual steps on Christmas, she was 10 months. And she was fully walking within weeks.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

my sons were pretty big so they were a bit delayed on crawling. They kinda scooted more then crawled but both were moving around by 8 months and my youngest was probably a little sooner then my middle child. My daughter did this weird crawl/walk thing where she would put her back legs straight and walk on her hands and feet. That did not last long though. I think that she did that because she always had on little dresses and her knees would get stuck on the dress while crawling. She started walking (more like running) like a week before her 1st birthday
Old 03-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This is my daughter exactly. She is still the same way with everything at 9.5 years old. She was an early talker though, she was speaking in full sentences by her 1st birthday. She drove us crazy with her chatter!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
This is my daughter exactly. She is still the same way with everything at 9.5 years old. She was an early talker though, she was speaking in full sentences by her 1st birthday. She drove us crazy with her chatter!
Oh, yes, mine now talks non-stop. I know when he starts school this fall, every teacher conference I go to from then on will say, "He talks too much in class." lol
Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oh, yes, mine now talks non-stop. I know when he starts school this fall, every teacher conference I go to from then on will say, "He talks too much in class." lol
Lol. Me too! Sometimes I want to go back to the days when we wondered why he wasn't saying anything yet.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

7 months.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ack! Well, hopefully everything is okay...I always felt like my first was early when he started army crawling at 7 months but obviously he wasn't real advanced in that area!
Well, I'm a worrier and worry I shall until he decides to go forward with some kind of mobility. I might have actually just made myself worry more...oops!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

((Hugs)) Chances are very good that there's nothing wrong and he's just doing this at his own pace. But even if not, you're clearly willing to look into things and get him whatever help he may need, so it's all going to be fine. The kids I really worry for are the ones whose parents won't get them any help because they can't accept that there might be a problem. So take a deep breath, pat yourself on the back for being a wonderful mother, and try not to worry between now and when you see your pediatrician. I'm guessing you'll be back in a few weeks reporting that the ped said he's right on target.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

8 or 9 months, I think. She's one of those that doesn't do anything until she can do it well. She started cruising at the same time, but refused to take independent steps until she was 11 months.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I am also forgetting how quickly things change at this age. Amazing - only 3 years between my boys and it's like I'm starting all over again, I swear!!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My boys combat crawled for a few months and started crawling around 8-8.5 months. Derek might have been a bit later...I would have to get out his baby book for exact age though. All my boys walked the week after their birthday.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DS4 started at 6 months. DD3 didn't crawl until her first birthday and DD1 started to crawl at 3 months.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Jake is the same way... he doesn't want to do something unless he "knows" he can do it perfectly at the get go... he wasn't sitting until almost 9 months. We went to a physical therapy assessment - and for them he sat. LOL! So, crawling didn't happen until he was around 10 months - and it was an army crawl - but he looked like he was rowing a canoe... then walking didn't happen util close to 17-18 months.... and of course potty training - 4 years and 10 months.