Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Have you ever taken a scrapbooking class?

I see so many classes offered but I've never taken one. If you have taken one...what did you think of the class? Was it worth it?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No. Not one I had to pay for anyway. There are lots of class that have tempted me, but I never had the money to spend on it. I'd much rather use it to buy kits. I did find a lot of free photoshop tutorials that helped me learn what I wanted to learn though.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I take Ali Edwards One Little Word class yearly, I've taken her Hello Story class, and a few others. I've enjoyed them. It's not so much about technique classes for me because I can find that on google, but process and story classes.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've tried a few times, especially photography classes aimed at scrapbookers. I've finally decided I just don't like them. I end up not wanting to give up my scrapping time to watch the videos and such, so I fall behind. Some I never even finish. I haven't learned anything in a class that I couldn't also learn through free tutorials, and I'm more motivated to go learn XYZ from a tutorial right now because I want to use that technique than I am to do it as part of a larger class. I think I'd feel differently if I was a beginner.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

No. Like Jacinda said, I prefer to save my $$ for kits and learn by seeking out free tutorials. However, I know that doesn't work for everyone. My grandma is learning to digi scrap with Janet's video tutorials sold here in the shoppe and it is awesome for her because she walks through the whole thing and explains everything in great detail.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Jessica Sprague is great for skill learning classes. Ali Edwards is great for classes that make you think about why you scrapbook, and she is a very motivating and encouraging instructor. Tiffany Tillman has good basic classes and she gives away an assortment of products with each class (well they all do, really). Jana Morton has some unique skill based classes. All of these are worth the cost. (I like scrapbooking classes apparently!)
Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have... but have horrible follow through (hello - who is still working PL from 2012? This girl! )... so for me, it was a waste of money...
Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

To learn how to digi scrap at the beginning I took several Jessica Sprague classes. Those were well worth my money. Since then I've taken a Cathy Zielske class and learned a lot even though her style is a little more minimal than mine. I've taken several Ali Edwards classes and that woman never ceases to inspire me.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love classes! I've taken way more than I can count, haha, and not just on scrapbooking but other things like organizing, goal-setting, business, etc too. I don't think I've ever taken any digital-specific or heavily technique based classes though. For me I love the inspiration and the opportunity to learn something new but more so I love the comraderie that comes with going through something with others. There's something really powerful in that when done right.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies…
Old 01-30-2014, 01:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have not, since I've been able to figure everything out on my own or by searching out tutorials. My preference is to learn on my own. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly NSBR topics I would take classes on, but for this type of subject, I prefer to set my own pace. I'm the same with most software, etc ... the classes tend to go too slowly for me and I end up frustrated ... but that just happens to be my learning style.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yes... I've loved every single one of them... I've taken a few Jessica Sprague ones when I first started digi scrapping... I took Cathy Z's Design your Life course and still use the design concepts I learned in that class... I've taken Wilna's Art Classes at 2Peas and have really enjoyed getting back into traditional scrapping and using the art techniques in my PL album and my art journal... I'm signed up for Kal Barteski's Life Scripted class at Studio Calico and looking forward to learning brush script for my art journal... I've also taken a storytelling class at 2Peas and quickly found out that I prefer technique based classes over prompt based classes
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have enough focus for something like that.

I have a hard time with online tutorials even, I need to be shown in person. That's probably why I don't have the best photo editing skills. I'd love to take an in person photo editing class, its funny that I'm also most finished with my associates in photographic technology, and they've never offered a straight up editing class. That really bugs me!

I could use color management improvement and just general editing help. I use actions and presets way too much.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'd LOVE to take a class but just don't ever have the money for them.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her