Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default My hubby left for Guatemala

this morning and I am kind of freaking out. Has anyone been there before? I have no idea what it's like and in my mind I am of course picturing the worst most scary scenarios ever. Like I'm pretty sure he'll be mugged at some point scenarios... I'm wrong, right? Like it's a wonderful totally non scary place?!?

He's doing a medical mission there with several other med school students and a couple of his faculty members, so I'm sure he'll be safe. I'm just mega paranoid. They will be treating underprivileged communities so I know it will be an amazing (most likely once in a lifetime) opportunity for him. I'm happy he wanted to serve, just still kinda scary to me!

This is the last time he'll be away for med school and I am so happy that I could jump for joy. He just got home from a month long away trip on Saturday and of course is leaving again. In the past two years he's been away for nearly 6 months leaving me to single parent our three kiddos at home. I don't know how single mommas do it! Hats off to single mommas everywhere! You ladies are amazing! I'm about ready to pull my hair out trying to keep up with everything on my own.

Anyway, if you've been to Guatemala, give me a shout out! I'd love to hear about your experience there (good or bad) so I can either mellow out, or know that my fears are warranted. LOL.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

We have a friend who goes to Guatemala and some other countries every year to do the same kind of work. The only problems I ever hear about are issues with his paperwork when he's trying to leave the US.

My brother and brother-in-law both went on LDS missions to Guatemala, and of course, they loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2016, 09:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wow! That is amazing! What an experience for sure he will have! I've never been so I can't say. Hang in there momma!

Old 03-04-2016, 09:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think that every time my hubs deploys. I cannot imagine being a single mom full time! Kudos to those super strong ladies!

I don't know anything about Guatemla Janelle but I'll keep you and your hubs in my prayers! I hope the time passes quickly for you!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I have never been there, so I don't know anything about Guatemala either. I pray that he will be safe and return safely to you and your kiddos.
And YAY that this is the last time he leaves!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Praying he returns safely to you! Hugs! Single parenting IS hard!
I didn't know med students had to travel so much. Glad you're done with that part of it!
Old 03-05-2016, 12:41 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I also know nothing about Guatemala. I will definitely keep him and his colleagues in my thoughts.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyd View Post
We have a friend who goes to Guatemala and some other countries every year to do the same kind of work. The only problems I ever hear about are issues with his paperwork when he's trying to leave the US.

My brother and brother-in-law both went on LDS missions to Guatemala, and of course, they loved it.

That's awesome! I know he would probably love to be involved in something like this annually one day. When all those student loans get paid off, then maybe I'll let him start thinking about it!

He served in Thailand, so he's used to the whole being out of the country thing, but I've never been out of the US, so I just assume the worst! I'm a worrier!
Old 03-05-2016, 01:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
I think that every time my hubs deploys. I cannot imagine being a single mom full time! Kudos to those super strong ladies!

I don't know anything about Guatemla Janelle but I'll keep you and your hubs in my prayers! I hope the time passes quickly for you!
I think deployment is so much scarier than what he's been doing! Even though he's been away a lot, at least I know he has always been safe while he's on rotation. I can't imagine what our armed forces wives deal with! Hats off to you BIG TIME! And a giant thank you to your man for serving our country!
Old 03-05-2016, 01:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers ladies! They are appreciated!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I lived in El Salvador 6 years and is right next to Guatemala and before I got my citizenship I had to leave the Country every 90 days, so we took a roadtrip to Guatemala and spend the weekend there.

Guatemala City is like any other city with buildings McDonalds, clubs, mall, cars street, etc... not everything is like pictured in the movies ( I personally HATE when Central America cities are portrayed either of the Wild Wild West of like we live in trees). Anywhooo...

The rural area IS full poverty but not unsafe. I made a lot of field trips with Operation Smile and Healing the Children. That is a life changing experience. Plus Guatemala is famous for the great natural aread full of green and beauty.

Downsize of the trip the change of currency... and since your hubby is "gringo" he will be probably exposed to be overcharge (a dollar or two) in taxis, tips (10% downhere, not 20%) and craft work. Bargain prices is an everyday thing in the craft markets and is expected (or he will be overcharged) but in regular stores is like every other store in the world.

Made using Selfie Addict by Digilicious Designs

Last edited by OrianaVianey; 03-05-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never been but praying he stays safe & time passes quickly for you!

Old 03-06-2016, 02:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrianaVianey View Post
I lived in El Salvador 6 years and is right next to Guatemala and before I got my citizenship I had to leave the Country every 90 days, so we took a roadtrip to Guatemala and spend the weekend there.

Guatemala City is like any other city with buildings McDonalds, clubs, mall, cars street, etc... not everything is like pictured in the movies ( I personally HATE when Central America cities are portrayed either of the Wild Wild West of like we live in trees). Anywhooo...

The rural area IS full poverty but not unsafe. I made a lot of field trips with Operation Smile and Healing the Children. That is a life changing experience. Plus Guatemala is famous for the great natural aread full of green and beauty.

Downsize of the trip the change of currency... and since your hubby is "gringo" he will be probably exposed to be overcharge (a dollar or two) in taxis, tips (10% downhere, not 20%) and craft work. Bargain prices is an everyday thing in the craft markets and is expected (or he will be overcharged) but in regular stores is like every other store in the world.

Oriana!! BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post! I feel like I am super naive when it comes to anywhere but home. It's nice to know it's just another city! I am such a worrier so I always fear the worst.

I did finally get to hear from him tonight and all is well! He is traveling for 3 hours tomorrow to make it to Panajachel, Lake Atitlan. It sounds like they will be visiting Mayan villages near the lake and that's where they will be doing most of their work. He is really excited and says he's with a great group of people. I can't wait to hear more!!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Panajachel is beautiful... use to be the "party district" but after the earthquake a few years ago, they had to rebuild it from scratch. It have the "small town" flavor, very cute, next to the lake Atitlan. Most of the rich people have their mansions there but as often happens in Latin America, is also have in contrast lots of poverty. But in the over all is a turistic small town.
Guatemala is famous for the fabrics, tell him to bring you, a hammock or a tablecloth

Old 03-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Wow! Thoughts and prayers for your family! So happy this will be his last trip... I couldn't imagine doing the parenting gig alone anymore!

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 03-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrianaVianey View Post
Oh Panajachel is beautiful... use to be the "party district" but after the earthquake a few years ago, they had to rebuild it from scratch. It have the "small town" flavor, very cute, next to the lake Atitlan. Most of the rich people have their mansions there but as often happens in Latin America, is also have in contrast lots of poverty. But in the over all is a turistic small town.
Guatemala is famous for the fabrics, tell him to bring you, a hammock or a tablecloth
FABRICS??? I'm so glad you told me! I will definitely hit him up about them next time I get to talk to him. Thanks for helping feed my other craft addiction!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

{Hugs} I can only imagine. Doug has to travel to Japan on occasion usually no longer then two weeks. I can't even sleep when he is gone, I don't know why but if he's not in the bed I just can't. I'll be praying for safe travels and an easy time for you too while he is away.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What an amazing experience for him! I've never been to Guatemala, but I keep my fingers crossed that he'll stay save.
Big hug to you Janelle.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

He'll be fine!! I'll pray for his safety while he's there! You are an amazing wife to be both mom/dad while he's gone! <3
Old 03-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
{Hugs} I can't even sleep when he is gone, I don't know why but if he's not in the bed I just can't. I'll be praying for safe travels and an easy time for you too while he is away.
Same here. I actually sleep on the couch with the TV on...

BTW my husband is going to Guatemala on Wednesday, so anything you need, just scream