Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Gallery Comments...

When you leave comments in the gallery, do you try to make a personal comment or do you find that you make a general statement?

The reason I ask is that while I was on CT teams, I had to post at DST and I'd participate in the Praise Game to try to give some exposure to the store I CT'd for. I just went over there for the first time in about a month, and had comments on my layouts. Well, 3 of them were from the same girl, on 3 different layouts. Every one said "wonderful page". No capitals, no period... nothing. It was an obvious copy & paste and probably made because the rule of the game is that you have to comment on the layout above yours.

Now, generally speaking, I LOVE when people comment on my pages. I know that they don't have to do it. But really? I'd rather it be an actual, genuine comment than a forced one. Even if I don't care for the page, I always find something nice and genuine to say, such as that I like the kit used, the color combo, that the journalling was touching, etc. That said, sometimes all I'll say is that the page is beautiful & I love it, BUT even in my short comments, I mean it. I don't just plop words down.

Anyways, not sure why I just spilled that all out there. I guess fake comments really annoy me, haha!

Huge fan of:

Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I try to leave something genuine that shows I actually looked at the layout before commenting. I think the "wonderful page" comments are people who just want their post number to go higher.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try my best to leave a genuine comment too. I'd rather not leave a comment at all than leave a copy/paste style one, kwim?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think that if you comment, you should make a 'real' comment. I usually only comment on LOs that I like and I comment on the LOs that I look at. I kind of think it is funny when someone takes to time to open the LO and look and then not say anything... and I defnitely comment before I put it in my favorite folder.

I think the only time I might look butnot comment is when the sneak peeks are going on. Many times, the LOs that are made with the kit tip me over into making the purchase.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I try to leave genuine comments, sometimes it might say beautiful or stunning, but that's cause that's what I genuinely thought when looking at it.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Totally agree with you! I mean, I don't want to sound like a snob but it really bugs me when people leave generic comments on layouts, and for that matter, BLOGS! "Nice blog, follow me" um what?

It's not hard to actually LOOK at the page and point out exactly what you love about the layout you're commenting on... Even if you don't think "Wow, I wanna add that to my faves", there's bound to be something you can compliment! I know I always make the effort to leave comments like those, and return the favour to those that do the same
Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always try to leave something that is genuine & personal about the page, photos, journaling.

Sometimes all I can say is I love it, no specific reason why it just stikes my 'love it' bone, KWIM?! I always try to say something if I visit a page, even if it isn't what I thought it would be, it was catching enough to open it.

I'm not a fan of the copy/paste comments that seem be the craze over at that gallery.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

OMG...I sooo agree with this! No matter what, I can always find something that I like about a LO. I'm not into copied and pasted comments. Why bother, kwim?

And to those of you who do take the time to make nice, sincere comments (and I think that's pretty much everyone here), THANK YOU so much. It really means a lot.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm 90% on the making it meaningful comments myself, but I tend to have a standard format for how I word them (eg This page is fab - especially love the colour contrast and orientation of the title). Sometimes I will add a more personal comment applicable to the story or photo.

Other times, a page just grabs me overall and it's difficult to pick out just a couple of elements above all others that I really love. Those pages tend to get the Wow! This is so completely gorgeous! type comment.

There's a standard joke with me on another board I frequent about the comment 'well done' - that one just really strikes me as so condescending (I now try very hard not to say that to my kids too!).

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh i totally agree with all that's said above - i *try* to leave personal comments, i hope they come across that way! and i've started to ignore the *copy/paste* comments at DST - LOL ...

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 09-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

this is why i love the gallery here so much. i've NEVER felt like i've gotten a generic cut/paste comment...ever. I always try to leave genuine comments. I only post at DST bc i "have" to for some CT's but i often get annoyed by the copy/paste comments.

Last edited by emmasmommy; 09-09-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
this is why i love the gallery here so much. i've NEVER felt like i've gotten a generic cut/paste comment...ever. I always try to leave genuine comments. I only post at DST bc i "have" to for some CT's but i often get annoyed by the copy/past comments.
what she said!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I haven't read any of the reponse yet so this may be a repeat but here are my thought.

When I comment it is always sincere and I try and post something specific (whatever made me click on the LO) but sometimes it really is just a wonderful/pretty page and that is what I say.

Now regarding comments on my page, I don't care about comments, don't get me wrong I appreciate every single one I get....but if I get zero comments on a page it just doesn't matter to me. I scrap so my kids will always remember their "life", not to please other people.

And something you have to remember at DST is that many many MANY of those girls don't even speak english...let alone know how to write full sentences in our language. So when ever I get that "nice page/wonderful layout/beautiful work" comment many many times in a row I just chalk it up to an non-english speaking scrapper and know that may be the only way she can express what she does find beautiful about my page!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I always have a good look at the page before I comment, and make sure I give a genuine compliment. I love SSD for all the lovely comments people leave on layouts. Even when I play the praise game at DST I still leave genuine comments, but so many don't.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I honestly rarely even look at my DST comments. I love the comments here, though!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
And something you have to remember at DST is that many many MANY of those girls don't even speak english...let alone know how to write full sentences in our language. So when ever I get that "nice page/wonderful layout/beautiful work" comment many many times in a row I just chalk it up to an non-english speaking scrapper and know that may be the only way she can express what she does find beautiful about my page!!!
That's the way I feel, too.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've only started posting in the praise threads last week, have hesitated for so long, b/c I simply dreaded the copy/paste comments, since they mean nothing at all and I think a lot of what's going on in the praise threads is so fake, cause you can't see the pages and then end up on a layout you would never have opened if you saw the preview. On the other hand there are some pages that are gorgeous, and I will click my way through those threads until I have left at least some comments!

Having said that, yes, I agree with y'all. I don't usually comment, unless I really like that page and I do try to make those comments personal, because those comments mean most to me, too. As some of you have said: there are those few layouts every once in a while where I can't put my finger down at what I like about them, so they'll get a more generic comment.

I have to admit though, that recently I've added some layouts to my favorites on which I haven't commented yet. That's simply because at the time I see those pages I'm browsing through the gallery looking for something specific and every time I leave a comment I can't just simply go back to where I was last in the gallery, but have to go all the way back to the beginning, which annoys me.

Still, whatever makes it into my faves is something that really stands out, so even when others add my pages to their faves without commenting I take it as a huge compliment!
And yes, you ladies are right - I still like SSD comments the best!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

my comments are always genuine, I try to find something specific that I really like about the page and make mention of it. Sometimes I simply have no words to describe just how much I love a layout, but hopefully my putting it in my faves conveys that message... lol.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I also leave genuine comments but I don't let copy/paste comments bother me on that gallery because like Elizabeth said most of them are from users who don't speak English and so I feel honored that they commented on my layout because I honestly think they only comment on the ones that they actually do like, but it's just easier for them to copy/paste a generic comment for them than to put into words what they really like about the page. And I do believe they only leave comments on the ones that they like because they don't leave comments on every single one of my pages.

what bugs me when I'm in a certain snarky mood are the users who add a layout to their favorites but don't leave a comment on the layout... that doesn't happen here btw.

I love the gallery here.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always try to leave a genuine comment. I love receiving those, so I try to give them, too. If I somehow can't really define with words what exactly I love about the LO, I post something more general, that's true.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I always leave something geniune, and if I say this is a gorgeous layout, i love it.. it means exactly that.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't comment on pages I don't like, so my praise is always sincere.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
this is why i love the gallery here so much. i've NEVER felt like i've gotten a generic cut/paste comment...ever. I always try to leave genuine comments. I only post at DST bc i "have" to for some CT's but i often get annoyed by the copy/paste comments.
DITTO!!!! and sometimes I just "LOVE" a page or think it is STUNNING....and that is all I write, but I mean it
Old 09-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I leave genuine comments. I can say though I was on a CT where I was required to leave 100 comments a month and it did sometimes become difficult to leave that many genuine comments. It was part of the reason I ended up leaving the team because it just took so much time to leave that many comments and I never wanted to be one of those ones who would just leave the "nice layout" or "cute layout" or whatever other two word combination LOL. I appreciate all comments though but I do love when someone takes the time to comment more then just nice layout...you know tell me WHY you think its nice. Do you like my photos? Do you love the journalling? Do you like the color combo or my clustering etc

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I like and don't like generic comments. I also try to keep in mind at DST that a lot of these ladies don't speak English well or use the translator sites. But what I hate is when you can just TELL it's a copy and pasted comment. I got a comment like "How sweet and precious!" ... on a page about one of Ryan's many wounds.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 09-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
I got a comment like "How sweet and precious!" ... on a page about one of Ryan's many wounds.
Bwahahaha! Now there is NO way someone didn't copy & paste that one, lol!! Too funny!

Huge fan of:

Old 09-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah... it seems like everywhere else you go, you'll get real people leaving you genuine love. Doesn't seem to happen much at DST anymore. LOL!

I always try to leave an authentic comment and put into words what I like about the LO. It's challenging sometimes... I think I say "Love your composition" about 10 times a day... but when I do, I totally mean it!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What? You mean you guys get comments at DST?
Lately I hardly ever get comments there anymore and if I do, they're the generic ones, usually because I played the praise game. It used to be different a couple of years ago, but now that gallery is so flooded my pages don't get noticed.
I always try to leave sincere comments myself, and I love getting them as well. I agree, this is a wonderful place, I get nothing but genuine comments!

@Sula: when I browse the galleries and I see pages I love, I click on them with the mouse wheel, and then they open in another tab (in firefox). Then when I'm done browsing I can look at all my other tabs and leave comments.

@jessica: seriously? you were expected to leave 100 comments a month as a CT duty?? WOW. That's crazy!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:18 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
what bugs me when I'm in a certain snarky mood are the users who add a layout to their favorites but don't leave a comment on the layout... that doesn't happen here btw.

I love the gallery here.
I ditto this comment...there is someone at myscrapbookart that has added a ton of my layouts to her favorites (at least 20), but nary a comment on one. So odd to me....

The praise game at DST is a joke. I was baffled by how some ladies have like 80 comments on one layout until I realized that they put the same layout in the praise thread 3 and 4 days in a row! Why? Everyone knows most of those comments are purely generic. I should give them the benefit of the doubt though...maybe it is purely for the advertising of their ct work. I understand that a lot of the ladies there are foreign. I do get some genuine comments there, but most are the copy/paste style.

Personally, I just can't leave a comment without it being genuine. Often when I play the praise game over there, my comment is the longest and most meaningful of the 80 posted! The comments here are always genunie and I appreciate every one of them b/c I know they are not copy pasted!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post

I love the gallery here.
Funny you mentionned that because at one of my gallery, somebody puts about every lo I post in their favourites but has never commented on any of them. lol! I think that some people don't know that adding a layout to their favorites will up the number of messages in certain galleries, so it doesn't really bother me.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1976 View Post
I ditto this comment...there is someone at myscrapbookart that has added a ton of my layouts to her favorites (at least 20), but nary a comment on one. So odd to me....
I wonder if it's the same one that has done it to tons of my pages!?!?!?! I'll be honest....it worries me a bit because they only have one page posted in their gallery and I worry they are some kind of child stalker or worse!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I wonder if it's the same one that has done it to tons of my pages!?!?!?! I'll be honest....it worries me a bit because they only have one page posted in their gallery and I worry they are some kind of child stalker or worse!!
I stopped posting at one site because of some of the comments I was getting - from people who I really didn't think were scrappers. Not that the comments were bad, the people just creeped me out.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I just checked and yep, she has only one lo posted at MSA.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ah I have the MSA one as well, and know someone else has the same thing!!

Her user name is similar to mine, but it's certainly not me, lol!!

I have never once left a c+p comment, I'd feel so awful ha!

Last edited by Gemma; 09-10-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
Ah I have the MSA one as well, and know someone else has has the same thing!!

ME TOO!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

omg YEA Gemma her name is REALLY similar lol and she adds every page of mine to her favourties and never comments.....

when i comment at DST or anywhere i usually write what i lov about the page(photo cluster) and like give a bit of detail...

the worst comment to me is great page hahahaha lol duino why it just annoys me

suppose i should be greatful of getin a comment!

i stopped playing praise game too cause there was like some layouts there everyday and with like 10 pages of comments i thought it was a bit weird

thats my 2 cents chipped in LOL
Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i always mean what i say but sometimes i think some of my comments are generic lol. i have been trying to be more specific to avoid that .
Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to admit that I may have a few layouts in my favorites that I haven't left a comment on. BUT, in my defense, I have every intention to but I have a toddler... sometimes I have to go check on her (because I hear a crash) or she's yanking on my arm and I just can't do it right then. I always mean to go back and leave a comment, but I don't always remember.

Huge fan of:

Old 09-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Whoa... hearing about the creepy MSA stalker is freakin' me out!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade View Post
I have to admit that I may have a few layouts in my favorites that I haven't left a comment on. BUT, in my defense, I have every intention to but I have a toddler... sometimes I have to go check on her (because I hear a crash) or she's yanking on my arm and I just can't do it right then. I always mean to go back and leave a comment, but I don't always remember.
but that's different than doing it all the time... most of us are mamas and totally understand that happening
Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade View Post
Ditto what Heather said about it.
Actually, it's also different when I see that someone has added my LO into her favs and I know this person from the forums here. Then I just think that it's great that she loves my page and don't care whether there is a comment or no. It's simply different in this "Sweet Little Community" than in big galleries.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All of my comments are sincere and genuine, even if I just say "Awesome layout" or "stunning page". I am like Kellie, if I say something, it's genuine. I don't just leave comments to up counts cuz I can jabber enough in the forums for that.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 09-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

in my case I comment only when I really like,
but do not expect much
because my English is bad and I'm of few words
Always try to look at the entire gallery it does not leave many comments
I visit the gallery a couple of times every day

Kit Mayberry by KCB
Sorry for my bad english!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:46 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
Ah I have the MSA one as well, and know someone else has the same thing!!

I have never once left a c+p comment, I'd feel so awful ha!
Well...I guess we all have the same stalker. Very odd and very freaky!! Is there someone we should mention that too...like the admin there? I know it is bad to automatically think the worst, but now ya'll are freakin' me out!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenee View Post
All of my comments are sincere and genuine, even if I just say "Awesome layout" or "stunning page". I am like Kellie, if I say something, it's genuine. I don't just leave comments to up counts cuz I can jabber enough in the forums for that.
Same here!

I just wish I had more time to go through the gallery, especially DST as some of the best pages, IMO, only get 1 or 2 comments and they are the C+P ones!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1976 View Post
Well...I guess we all have the same stalker. Very odd and very freaky!! Is there someone we should mention that too...like the admin there? I know it is bad to automatically think the worst, but now ya'll are freakin' me out!
I would totally PM someone over there.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:04 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Location: Hi Ya'll:) I'm a transplant from the "states" to Interior Alaska-

LOL.... Totally true! What I hated is when I was part of the freebie group, the rule was if you downloaded you had to leave some "love"... so I'd get comments that said "Tysm" (thank you so much) or simply ty (thank you) I mean seriously!?? It was just plain sad and rude! I always try to leave some love that's personal, I mean scrap pages/kits don't make themselves! They take hard work and care....
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, good lordy--she got me this morning! LOL! But my LO was a photoless one, so maybe it's not a creepy stalker. Just an avid lifter?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by webseitler View Post
Oh, good lordy--she got me this morning! LOL! But my LO was a photoless one, so maybe it's not a creepy stalker. Just an avid lifter?
LoL! she got me too...twice! But that does make me feel better if she's putting photoless layouts in her faves.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:04 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Ohhhh... I totally agree. I hate when that happens. It's so obvious that they are just trying to meet a quota of some sort. I think it's always the really genuine ones that make your day to read. My almost always say something about my clustering. I must be the cluster queen. LOL New to this site though, so still gotta load in my gallery.