Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-31-2019, 09:51 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default Where to get photos printed in Canada?

Hi everyone, hoping my fellow Canadians might have some recommendations on where to print 12x12 in Canada? I just redeemed my deals with Persnickety Prints (the ones they put on sale a couple of times a year for $1.49) and I was shocked to get dinged with $35 duty on an order of 50 prints

So I definitely won't be doing that again, hoping there's another good quality option with Canada?
Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh man.. I don't know I have used persnickety but I haven't printed in a really long time. I think I remember somewhere about costco offering bigger prints and you could cut down to 12x12.. I'm not sure of the price though

There is the option of printing a book instead and that tends to be cheaper than getting individual prints.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:19 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Kristin! I didn't realize Costco did larger prints, I'll have to check that out next time I'm there. I've ordered from Persnickety in the past too (it's been about 2 years though) and never got hit with duties before. Darnit ... I just don't want to take that chance of all the extra cost again
Old 03-31-2019, 11:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think Costco does a pretty good job of printing and you can get a large size for a single or create a shoot of multiple prints and cut them up yourself. I've done both. I haven't had any printed for awhile so not sure if this is an option still or not, but you could specify that they not do any color correction if you prefer. You can even download the Costco color profile if you are super picky about it but I never bothered and my prints always turned out great. Here in Vancouver, Kerrisdale Camera does a great job too but is a little more expensive but I think in general, most camera shops do a pretty decent job.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Rae, I'm going to have to look around locally and see what is offered with camera shops - that's a great idea. I ended up making an account on Costco Photo to see the pricing, and their 12x12 prices are $5.99/print! They'll do 8x12 for $1.49, so that's quite a jump on the 12x12's. Sheesh. At that price, it's probably still worth it to print through Persnickety when they do their deals and suck up the duties.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I was going to say Costco too. Though I find that their prints are often darker than how it looked on the screen. What about WHCC? I know it's in the US but their shipping cost of 10% is fair. I don't know how much the 12x12 is though or if they even have that size. The quality is always good though. And they are really fast.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I meant to also mention that Costco does have frequent sales.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen104 View Post
Thanks Rae, I'm going to have to look around locally and see what is offered with camera shops - that's a great idea. I ended up making an account on Costco Photo to see the pricing, and their 12x12 prices are $5.99/print! They'll do 8x12 for $1.49, so that's quite a jump on the 12x12's. Sheesh. At that price, it's probably still worth it to print through Persnickety when they do their deals and suck up the duties.
YIKES!! That is a lot.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I know, right? Here I am complaining about extra cost and even with the duties I had to pay, it still seems to be a decent deal. Costco has great prices on 4x6's, only 11 cents if you order 50 or more. The large ones though are pretty pricey.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Even with Duties Persnickety is still the cheapest option for "odd" shapes and enlargement printing that I've found. I use it for gift prints, I just make sure to do a large order and wait for a good sale to make it worth it.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

True enough, I've called around even locally and it's so expensive. I guess I was just a little shocked because I've ordered from Persnickety numerous times and this was the first time I got slammed with duties. Oh well, I'm just going to have to wait for a sale!
Old 04-08-2019, 05:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think duties is one of those things that sometimes they will ding you for and sometimes they won't..
Old 04-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yup. When I order makeup, depending on where it crosses the border makes a huge difference on if I get charged duties or not. I have had multiple boxes from the same company (with approx the same value of stuff inside) and 6 came to me no issue, 1 I got slammed with duties almost double the amount of what I paid for the box..... It's really hit or miss.