Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-16-2021, 09:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default All by myself!

Cat is out of the bag, after 24+ years of being married I am getting a divorce. One of the things that always came up in our marriage was I wanted to do things, but wasn't allowed to do or go places--like visit Tammy. While my divorce isn't official, I am on my own with the kiddos and able to do my own things. A couple of weeks ago, I offered to take the children to Michigan to see their father before school started so he had some time with them. We agreed to meet in Youngtown, Ohio where we did a switch and then I proceeded to drive down to Columbus, Ohio and took a 2-day minivacation meeting up with some of my Fortnite Family. Not only did we get to meet each other for the first time, we went out to eat in an actual restaurant!! You guys, it's been pre-pandemic that I ate in public! We ate at Cracker Barrel, probably the second time (?) that I ate there and it was GOOD! I was able to get us tickets to Other World, which oh my goodness was one of the highlights of my minivacation!!! I didn't know if I would enjoy Other World, but oh my goodness, you guys....it was ah-mazing!! If you ever find yourself in Columbus Ohio, check this place out!! You can see the entire exhibit in less than an hour or stay there all evening long!! The lights, the ambiance of the place is just amazing!! When I left to come home, I was sad that I was leaving my Fortnite Family, coming home empty-handed without my children, but proud and excited that I, ME, went on a mini vacation ALL BY MYSELF and had fun doing so!! I know there will be a lot more of these mini vacations when the kids are at their father's and quite frankly, I'm excited to see what the future holds for me and the things that I will get to experience and had wanted to experience all of these years but couldn't!!

Here are a few photos from my visit, and hopefully something to entice you all to visit yourself!

Old 08-16-2021, 09:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That's awesome, Wendy! You go, girl, and do All the Things! It's so empowering to go and do things on your own. And if you're ever in the northeast Ohio/CLE area, drop me a message or something. Thanks for the museum recommendation--I'll have to check that out!

Old 08-16-2021, 09:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Good for you! Sounds like you had an amazing adventure!!

Old 08-16-2021, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How awesome! I have done 1 maybe 2 trips without my hubby and I had so much fun...I love traveling with him but something about being alone. Props to you on freeing yourself. I couldn't do it...I am too much of a princess. LOL I wish you the best.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:26 AM
Banned

profile gallery

It's a very liberating experience and I hope you enjoy every moment! You go girl!
Old 08-16-2021, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hey, I was in Columbus a few weeks ago without hubby. The girls and I had a road trip to visit the zoo and botanical gardens. We bailed on the zoo after about 45 minutes because it was, well, a zoo to get in there with all the people. It was a tiny dot scary to not have my main navigator with me, but it did feel good to just do it on our own. I wish I would have visited that museum--looks like more fun than the botanical gardens.

I hope you have many more adventures to come and enjoy them all!
Old 08-16-2021, 12:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations on your first mini vacation. May there be many more in your future!
Old 08-16-2021, 12:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That looks amazing! I'm happy you enjoyed your mini vacation and that you are finally able to do things for yourself...

Lol when I headed your title I started to sing the song hahaha!
Old 08-16-2021, 01:00 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry to hear about the divorce, but it does sound like you are on a better path to enjoying your life to the fullest. Those photos look amazing. Can't wait to see you make a layout with them!
Old 08-16-2021, 01:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The independence after a divorce is the best feeling in the world! So glad you got to experience such fun things for yourself.

Thanks for sharing about the museum, too! My boyfriend lives in Ohio, although still a couple hours away from the museum, so maybe I will talk him into going to see it soon.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm so proud of you for taking a minivacation all by yourself! And, for meeting your Fortnite family in IRL! You've taken such big growth steps over this past year, and are becoming who you were meant to be.
I can't wait til you get out here to visit me!!
Old 08-16-2021, 02:29 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The pictures are very pretty! Yay for you and the mini vacation!! Glad you had a great time! Wishing you many more trips and much happiness in the future!!!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 08-16-2021, 03:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am so proud of you! That's awesome that you did all that on your own. Divorce can be hard, but clearly, it was necessary for you. You are stronger now, continue to grow and learn, but don't be too hard on yourself when you don't feel as strong. <3
Old 08-16-2021, 03:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yay!! I'm proud of you for doing something for yourself! And that you had an amazing time with new friends and saw something cool along the way. Way to go!
Old 08-16-2021, 03:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Looks like a cool place, I'll have to add it to the bucket list. Woot woot on your first mini-vaca!!
Old 08-16-2021, 09:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yay, you! I'm glad you're feeling able to do the things that make you happy again.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

wooohoooo!!!!!! minivacations are the way to go! btw. I am glad you are doing the things you want to do. My sister just got divorced after 25 years and she is finally doing things too.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:10 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, that's a lot to take in, and I hope that you find so much happiness in this new life you find yourself in. I was just listening to Mayim Bailik's interview with Glennon Doyle, and she was saying that her mom always associates longevity in marriage with happiness, but Glennon pointed out that it just as easily could have been 50 years of sadness and bitterness. I thought it was a great point.

I am so proud of you for going on your own adventure! I hope you have lots more adventures in your future!
Old 08-17-2021, 12:47 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

that looks like such a cool place! and good for you for taking time for YOU!
Old 08-17-2021, 06:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm so proud of you!!!!!

Old 08-17-2021, 10:08 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Wow, that's a lot to take in, and I hope that you find so much happiness in this new life you find yourself in. I was just listening to Mayim Bailik's interview with Glennon Doyle, and she was saying that her mom always associates longevity in marriage with happiness, but Glennon pointed out that it just as easily could have been 50 years of sadness and bitterness. I thought it was a great point.

I am so proud of you for going on your own adventure! I hope you have lots more adventures in your future!
My role models for marriage/relationships weren't the greatest. What I was living, was living through others because I could not have what I wanted. Things were kept quiet behind doors and never talked about openly, because that's not just how I was raised, and how we lived our marriage. Very few, even those very close to me, knew the pain behind the closed doors. I always told myself that I just had to outlive him so I could do things that I wasn't permitted, because well. . . that's what my parents are doing, trying to outlive one another! It wasn't until someone asked me if I was living my life or surviving my life that I realized I had it all wrong. It also helped that my children's therapists intervened and I got myself in to therapy as well. Lot of growing up took place these past two years, a lot of realization and understanding of who I am and what I want, desired to be all this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
wooohoooo!!!!!! minivacations are the way to go! btw. I am glad you are doing the things you want to do. My sister just got divorced after 25 years and she is finally doing things too.
It's hard looking back at the number of years married/together - over half of my life. But moving forward, the freedom that I have doesn't compare. Sure I'll have to work and make my own retirement, save for my own vacations which I know will take time, but I have that option now of being able to do something instead of it ending up in an argument and being shut down. I can't tell you how many years I've wanted to visit Tammy, how many times I've wanted to visit Cassie and many other people but couldn't!
Old 08-17-2021, 10:09 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
That's awesome, Wendy! You go, girl, and do All the Things! It's so empowering to go and do things on your own. And if you're ever in the northeast Ohio/CLE area, drop me a message or something. Thanks for the museum recommendation--I'll have to check that out!
yes!!! I'm sure there will be MANY trips of taking the kids (specifically the youngest) to Michigan to see his father. We'll have to meet up one of those trips and you can take me somewhere amazing near you too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I'm so proud of you for taking a minivacation all by yourself! And, for meeting your Fortnite family in IRL! You've taken such big growth steps over this past year, and are becoming who you were meant to be.
I can't wait til you get out here to visit me!!
Yes!!! Fingers crossed next summer we can make it happen!!! Just know you'll have Baleigh with me because not only does she want to go on as many vacations with me, she wants to meet you as well - her Dutch Bros sticker supplier!
Old 08-17-2021, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post

It's hard looking back at the number of years married/together - over half of my life. But moving forward, the freedom that I have doesn't compare. Sure I'll have to work and make my own retirement, save for my own vacations which I know will take time, but I have that option now of being able to do something instead of it ending up in an argument and being shut down. I can't tell you how many years I've wanted to visit Tammy, how many times I've wanted to visit Cassie and many other people but couldn't!
So are you starting all your plans to visit the gal? If you are ever around Chicago... let me know.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
So are you starting all your plans to visit the gal? If you are ever around Chicago... let me know.
My oldest wants to visit the bean . . . . .
Old 08-17-2021, 07:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh Wendy I am so happy that you have found your wings and starting to fly ❤️
It’s when a marriage ends, even when there is a lot of baggage and unhappiness-been there. I didn’t realize how much of me I had lost until I was on my own. That feeling of walking into ‘my house’ with all of ‘my stuff’ was great.

That first vacation I took Braeden on was monumental, we flew to Florida, he had never been on a plane before. We went again a couple of years later.

I did my first ever solo trip four years ago, to Ireland and I drove. It’s amazing the boost you give yourself with these things.

I am so proud of you!! Keep going and looking out for you and your happiness.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

so happy for you Wendy, that you are able to grow, learn and reach your potential on YOUR terms. I'm sure it was hard as hell, and there will still be days when you want to throw it all in, but then you'll look around yourself and go 'I did this' and you can be so proud of you.
So sorry you had a rough time but SO glad you got the opportunity, and support, to get out and live your best life.

YOU GO GIRL!
xx
Old 08-18-2021, 11:00 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
The independence after a divorce is the best feeling in the world! So glad you got to experience such fun things for yourself.

Thanks for sharing about the museum, too! My boyfriend lives in Ohio, although still a couple hours away from the museum, so maybe I will talk him into going to see it soon.
You are at boyfriend status? You go girl! LOL
Old 08-18-2021, 11:04 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
If you all have a meet up in Chicago, let me know. I am less than two hours away from that big scary city. I'm afraid of it, but I would put on my big girl panties to meet you all. LOL
Old 08-18-2021, 11:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
You are at boyfriend status? You go girl! LOL

Ha! Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2021, 11:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
If you all have a meet up in Chicago, let me know. I am less than two hours away from that big scary city. I'm afraid of it, but I would put on my big girl panties to meet you all. LOL
yes!!!! That would be awesome if we could meet up as well!!! So many of us live "close" to Chicago!!!
Old 08-18-2021, 11:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am so proud of you for doing what is best for you Wendy! Cheers to a bright new future! <3
Old 08-18-2021, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Feel proud and positive about your life changes. I too went thru a major upheaval to my life. At 38 I became single and although it was scary, I became stronger and more confident in myself and then at 40 married again, this time to my best friend and someone who complimented me, not hindered me. Enjoy yourself and be excited about moving forward in your life.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm 4 or 5 hours. . . . .need the border to open first though. Have driven there before for a hockey tournament.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yay!!! I am so so happy for you Wendy! That is so awesome to read, you must feel like a huge weight is lifted and how exciting this new life and the many adventures ahead of you. xo
Old 08-18-2021, 08:24 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Good luck and you go girl! I left a lifeless marriage and it was the best thing I ever did. You got this!
Old 08-18-2021, 09:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Good for you - I'm glad you enjoyed your mini vacation!

Old 08-18-2021, 10:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We should definitely plan a meet up for next summer when Wendy takes her kids to Michigan! But we have to wait until next summer because I won't be in the US until then. It would be so much fun!!
Old 08-21-2021, 12:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah for new experiences! Can't wait to hear what other adventures you take!
Old 08-21-2021, 07:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
We should definitely plan a meet up for next summer when Wendy takes her kids to Michigan! But we have to wait until next summer because I won't be in the US until then. It would be so much fun!!
Yes!!!!! I SO want to meet you!!!!!!!!
If he gets his way, he'll have the kids all summer long . As long as I can get time off of work, I would be willing to make it happen to meet up with as many of you as possible!!!
Old 08-21-2021, 07:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Let me know if you ladies are meeting in Ohio. That would be fun!
Old 08-22-2021, 04:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yes!!!!! I SO want to meet you!!!!!!!!
If he gets his way, he'll have the kids all summer long . As long as I can get time off of work, I would be willing to make it happen to meet up with as many of you as possible!!!
I want to join you!!!
Old 08-22-2021, 06:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I want to join you!!!
you can bunk with me in a hotel room!
Gosh we could get two more people to bunk with us!!!
Old 08-22-2021, 10:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
you can bunk with me in a hotel room!
Gosh we could get two more people to bunk with us!!!
Yes!! I think this would be so fun!!
Old 09-01-2021, 06:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It's good that therapy has helped you see what is best for you and your children. Best wishes on the change and always remember your thoughts/feelings/emotions are very important and no one should tell you differently.

I am near Cincinnati if you are ever in this area.