Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Game of Thrones **spoilers

I kept meaning to start a thread after The Red Wedding this week but life has been crazy this week. Anyway...was that awesome or what. It was so funny to watch DH's reaction b/c he's not read the books. And reading all the reviews of noneaders is kind of funny too. And the ones that get me are the ones who are angry about it..seriously?? This is George R.R. Martin we're talking about..didn't killing off Ned in the first book teach you that no one is safe? lol

I thought they did a fantastic job with that scene though. And up til then I was kind of annoyed with how they changed Robb's wife the way they did. But I have to admit that having it play out the way it did was a change for the better drama wise.

I think I was more upset by Robb's death in the series than in the books b/c I think the series did a better job of making him a major character.

I can't believe there is only one episode left this season. Sure wish Martin would hurry up with the next book

Old 06-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been waiting and waiting for it. I loved it, and I have to admit, I'm loving it even more after all the reaction hoopla. I thought they did a great job. I've been on the fence with the Talisa/Jeyne thing but I like how it all panned out.

I can't believe there's only one more episode. I'm so ready for the next book. I love the tv series but I love, love the books, I get way more involved in the stories and characters on the pages. The Red Wedding bothered me in the book more, but you're right, Robb's a much more meaty character in the show.

I saw a tweet that said something along the lines of "George RR Martin's not on twitter because he killed all 140 characters" Pretty close to the truth of it.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to admit, I haven't read the books. I really wanted to, but then we had a free HBO week on cable, and I couldn't not watch the first 2 seasons on in demand... I reeeeeaaaaalllly enjoy books more, so I totally planned on reading first, then catching up with the show, but like I said, I couldn't not watch. So lol, I watched the first 2 seasons the week before this one started (at least they were short seasons!) I so was not ready for Ned to die Or the wedding. omg, I totally did not see that coming! I was shocked lol. But I wasn't mad like some are!

Now I'm just trying to decide if I should read the books while I'm watching, or finish through all the seasons they make and then read the books sometime after. I pretty much feel the books are always better than the movie, or show, but now I'm so into the show, I feel like I don't wanna spoil it with reading the books that are done so far.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm honestly glad I haven't read the books yet (tho plan to). Movies (or shows) are way less disappointing when you aren't expecting them to live up to the world you've illustrated mentally as you read the books. I'm enjoying the character development and the casting and really love the suspense and not knowing what's around the corner. It's VERY difficult for me to ever be surprised, so I really savor the experience when it happens...even if they killed off some eye candy.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't read the books so it was a complete shock to me! I just sat there with my mouth open and cried when Catelyn died, not just because of her but because of how the whole episode ended. I can't wait till tomorrow's finale!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This type of episode is exactly why I decided to STOP reading the books for now. I watched the first season and I loved how I was on the edge of my seat every week. A friend had warned me that Martin kills off a lot of his main characters but I didn't really believe Ned would be beheaded!

After the first season ended, I went back and read the book and enjoyed how it filled in the story. Then I was hooked by the cliff-hanger ending and immediately read the second book before the second season was released. But then, I found that I didn't enjoy the second season nearly as much since I had already read the book. I knew what was going to happen and I kept comparing what I imagined or knew from the book with how they did it in the show and it really pulled me out of the story.

So I forced myself to stop reading after the second book and once again I have LOVED this season. That wedding episode blew me away (just watched it tonight so I have stayed studiously away from all the discussions about the episode). When it ended, I was actually laughing at Martin's audacity.

Love this show and yes, I hope he gets crackin' on the writing, although he seems perversely to slow down the more his fans clamor for more.