Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Wallpaper will be the death of me...

The house that we bought in February has wallpaper everywhere!! I decided l 2 weeks ago that I was going to start removing some of it. I started in the bathroom because it looked like it had the oldest wallpaper as it was yellowing and peeling up in the corners. Much to my dismay, it appears that the wallpaper was put on the wall right when it was built in 1968 with no paint, primer, texture, nothing underneath. That's right - right on the drywall!! I have been literally scraping the paper and glue off of the wall trying not to ruin the drywall underneath but it is VERY slow going.

Has anyone ever had to do this before and found a method that works well? I am afraid that if I use any of the water/vinegar or water/fabric softener solutions that it will get the drywall too wet underneath and then I will have more problems. I did use a wallpaper remover spray with the scoring tool to start out but that was only getting the actual paper off. Then I am left with a thick layer of glue to scrape off.

Any help would be appreciated. I feel like this bathroom is going to be the death of me!!

Oh and did I mention - they even wallpapered the ceiling!!

Last edited by melmos75; 08-03-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

OMG! It sounds like you have a long road ahead of you! I feel your pain! When we removed wallpaper we used a product called DIF that was like a spray-gel. There was a round tool that had "teeth" that we scraped all over the wallpaper and then after the gel penetrated into the paper, it was easier to scrape off. There's the steaming method, but I've never heard of people having good luck with that. I have more wallpaper to remove in my house, too, so I'll look forward to others' suggestions.

Good luck with your ginormous project! The ceiling, too???!!!

Photoshop CS4
My SSD Gallery
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMGoodness - what a nightmare! I know what I'D do, but my DH is a drywaller/painter, lol. I'd skip ripping it out and drywall right on over top, lol! Probably not an option though. I'll ask DH if he knows any good tips and post back later!

Huge fan of:

Old 08-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I removed a lot of wall paper in our first house. Hot water and vinegar work the best - don't worry about getting the wall too wet, it has to be wet for the paper and backing to peel off!

I used a garden sprayer to spray the mixture on to a sheet of wall paper at a time. Let it soak a few minutes (while you are spraying the next sheet) and then peel off the paper. Then I had to apply again to get the backing paper off. I used a kitchen spatcula to scrape so that I wouldn't get holes in the dry wall. Put a fan in the room at the end of the day to dry out the walls.

If you don't have a garden sprayer (Home Depot, Lowe's) then use a sponge mop to apply your mixture. Even plain water will work fine, but you have to really put it on there. Protect your floors!!!!

Good luck! I wouldn't want to do it again!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I've been where you are! I HATE wallpaper. We are down to only 1 room left with it, after days and days spent removing the stuff. Yes, it's just slow and painstaking. We used a paint roller to apply the water or whatever (I tried Dif and never found it helped much).
Old 08-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No advice- just sending hugs and DIY magic dust your way! That is quite a project...

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had the same situation!!! Our home was one of the first in our track to be built and was one of the model homes. It was built in 1980--at the height of Laura Ashley craze... so plaid on one wall and floral in another in the same room. Wallpaper all the way up to vaulted ceilings and yes, in the master bath, on the ceilings too...

We rented a wallpaper remover steamer. It was the only way to do it efficiently. Really. you can get whole pieces off. Good luck. I know your pain!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

Steamer... We lived in a 100 year old home that we removed wallpaper from everywhere (and yes, gasp, the ceiling too). We bought a steamer from Home Depot and it worked. no vinegar/water, not chemicals, just hot steam. This even got the dry icky glue off too. We found that the wallpaper pealed off easier this way....

http://www.catchingmemories.com
Old 08-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

We had a steamer too and it worked as a charm!

my blog