Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Epic Appliance Fail - iCry!!

So, I had 4 shiny new stainless steel appliances delivered to my house this weekend. I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. After they were installed, however, all I could do was cry.

The fridge - perfect and beautiful - it looks like it was made for the spot in my kitchen.

Stove - also perfect.

Microwave - disaster! Apparently, they are now making them larger than they used to so although I am replacing an above the range microwave, when installed, it ended up giving me only 12 inches of clearance between the bottom of the microwave and the top of the cooktop. iCry!!

Dishwasher - also a disaster! I was so excited in picking out the appliances that it apparently slipped my mind that I had a drawer right there and we picked out a dishwasher with a handle. Now that the dishwasher is installed, I cannot open my silverware drawer. iCry - Again!

The appliance store has promised me that we will work something out (heck, I spent enough money there - they better) but they have to wait until the manager is back from vacation (who coincidentally was also the guy that sold us the appliances). So I am stuck right now with an unusable dishwasher, an unusable microwave, and ultimately and unusable cooktop. I have already picked out the dishwasher that I want to swap for and instead of the microwave above the range I am just going to put in a stainless steel hood vent/light. I loved having a microwave up off the countertop but I guess that isn't an option for me anymore unless I redo all my cabinets, which is totally not in the budget right now.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmos75 View Post
Microwave - disaster! Apparently, they are now making them larger than they used to so although I am replacing an above the range microwave, when installed, it ended up giving me only 12 inches of clearance between the bottom of the microwave and the top of the cooktop. iCry!!
That happened to use when we moved into our new house last year! I guess the cabinets weren't put up as high back then as they do now so there wasn't a lot of clearance left if we put in the microwave. I had to settle for a small stainless steel on on my counter.

Sorry the installation of half of your appliances didn't go as smoothly as you'd hoped!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

aww that really sucks. Is there a way you could redo just the cabinet above the stove so the microwave would fit?

And I totally know what you are going through. We had to replace our fridge a few years back and we got it at Best Buy. They told us we could get white or almond (I think thats what it was called...kinda a creamy off-white color) wellll I thought my stove was white LOL so I got white for the fridge come to find out my stove is actually not white but the other color. So we have a white fridge and an almond colored stove. Oh well...one day I will have my dream kitchen just not yet LOL

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
aww that really sucks. Is there a way you could redo just the cabinet above the stove so the microwave would fit?
This crossed my mind but would be more hassle and more of an expense then it would be worth at this time. Not only do I not have any room to move my cabinets up, but it is vented to the outside and the venting would have to be moved.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What a bummer! Hope they can help you make everything right!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I ordered a brand new stainless stove/microwave set when my stove died, only to find out after my old stove was out and the new one was in... the old one didn't die, it was an electrical problem - to the tune of $1200.