Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you let your kids have their own instagram account?

If so , how old are they?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My kids are 7 and 9 and neither have any sort of accounts (thankfully they haven't asked either, lol). My neice, who is also 9, has FB and some other things.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

No... mine are 7&4. They have no access to social media of any kind and I think I will keep it that way for a loooong time.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My daughter is 15 and has one.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have a 8 year old daughter and she doesn't know what Instagram is. However she did ask me for a facebook account and youtub account. Facebook is a definite no, but her dad allowed her to have youtub account. She mainly watches kids shows and music videos.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine are 6 & 4 and no.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

My 14 yr old step daughter has an instagram and twitter no fb. My 12 yr old step daughter has none. And Kennedy of course has nothing lol
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

As I don't even have one, and we don't own any smart phones or iPads, there isn't really any point in any of us having one. As for FB and all that jazz, nope, not until they're old enough by the site's TOS. We've even disabled internet communication for chatting and such on their Playstation accounts.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Technically the Instagram TOU requires users to be at least 13. http://instagram.com/about/legal/terms/

The answer is that it's probably up to you but if all they're really interested in is the photos/filters aspect of Instagram, there's a lot of other apps that'll give you those options without requiring them to be shared by default to Instagram. 13 seems like a good age limit for sharing to me.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

LOL, I figured most of the answers would be no, that was my gut feeling too. I did see the TOU......, Ashley's only 10 1/2 , but most of her friends her age have it already, and she wants to be able to share her photos with her friends. It's so frustrating with social media and kids these days, especially when they have ipods. I hate having her feeling left out, and don't want to be the "mean" mom LOL....I've already given a firm NO to facebook (and yes, some of her friends have a facebook account too even though they are below the age stated in the TOU), Parenting sucks sometimes.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

7 and 9 and yes, but they're on lockdown.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Mine are 10 and 5 and neither of them have access to any sort of social media. My 5 year old does like to pick out his own filters though whenever I use Instagram to take a photo of him. LOL!

Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindys732003 View Post
LOL, I figured most of the answers would be no, that was my gut feeling too. I did see the TOU......, Ashley's only 10 1/2 , but most of her friends her age have it already, and she wants to be able to share her photos with her friends. It's so frustrating with social media and kids these days, especially when they have ipods. I hate having her feeling left out, and don't want to be the "mean" mom LOL....I've already given a firm NO to facebook (and yes, some of her friends have a facebook account too even though they are below the age stated in the TOU), Parenting sucks sometimes.
My 9 year old does, but I said no to facebook and youtube. We're in the same situation where all his friends have it...
Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Lily is 10 but hasn't had an interest in social media yet thank goodness. She is pretty quiet/keeps to herself and doesn't have many girlfriends yet so we haven't had to deal with this new chapter but I'm sure we will soon.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

mine are 12 and 15 and they one, yes
Old 08-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cheyanne just turned 13 and does have Instagram now. She hardly ever uses it but that will probably change in the near future. She has been using it this week to send pics back and forth to her brother and his wife and her niece because she's been bored. She is sooo ready to go back to school!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My 14 yo starting using Instagram last year and it's seriously almost a full time hobby for her. She loves photography and posting unique photos.

My 11 yo has shown no interest so for now, no Instagram. She does have FB but it's only to play games and only mom, dad and the grandparents are her friends. Plus she can only use it when she sits next to me. I think that will change now that she started middle school. We've talked a lot about what you put online and say in writing or typing is easy to pass around and will never be erased. So, hopefully she'll be using it responsibly under my watchful eye (oh, and once she does go live I make her friend all her aunts and uncles and our close friends so I'm not the only adult watching. I did this with my oldest and it worked great.)
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 9 year old girls have asked for Instagram and were told no. I don't use it so I'm not really sure what all is involved other than posting and sharing pictures. They have asked when they could have a FB account but didn't really care when my answer was never!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Elsye (13) has an instragram. The rules are that I have the password and that I'm her friend. At first she wouldn't add me.....so I took the liberty to start adding all her friends. hehe!! Now I'm friends with her AND her friends. LOL!!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
Elsye (13) has an instragram. The rules are that I have the password and that I'm her friend. At first she wouldn't add me.....so I took the liberty to start adding all her friends. hehe!! Now I'm friends with her AND her friends. LOL!!
LOL - I'm friends with all of Cheyanne's friends too and the same on FB - and all her friends parents are friends with her too - that's the rule in our group - all the kids have all the parents as friends (And I have her PW for both accounts and can check them at any time; no ifs, ands, or buts!)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No to instagram pretty much because I never use mine either. My kids (7 and 11) both have facebook accounts. They are basically my accounts. I manage passwords, friend requests, check their private messages, etc. They (very rarely these days after discovering minecraft) log in to play games. I use their facebook pages for those 'like this page and get a coupon' offers so I can use the other computers for extra coupons. LOL
Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 11 year old niece doesn't have Facebook but my sister let her have an Instagram. She is using it like Facebook and does some things that I find irresponsible (like writing her phone number on a chalkboard, taking a picture and saying "text me"). I had to quit following her because it was driving me crazy that my sister wasn't putting a stop to it. I have always been a 13-before-you-can-use-social-media kind of parent. That's been a good guideline for my children. They're mature enough to understand the dangers of what they're putting online.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine are 8 and 5 and have no access to social media.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Mine are 9 and 7.. the 9 yr old has FB but I'm her friend.. some of my friends are her friends as well as the parents of the other friends she has.. other than that it's all family. She plays games and talks to a very small approved chat list. Instagram.. she's never asked.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest is almost 10, but he hasn't shown any interest in social media yet. If his friends have accounts, I don't know about it. I'm glad it hasn't come up, because I'd say no. I also won't let him play video games that allow other gamers to connect with him, and he's probably going to protest that rule before the social media one. He isn't ready to think through how he comes off to others online, and I'm not on any of the sites often enough to feel like I'd be monitoring him adequately.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Jeffrey is 12, and my family DID break TOU on Instagram and Facebook. The compromise was that the email he registered with is connected to an email account my mom monitors carefully... and he has to agree to random spot-checks. Even if he deletes something on facebook (messages, etc), mom can view them through the emails sent to her (he does not have access to the email account).

We figured it was a fair compromise, considering most of his friends got social media far younger than he did, and with him being homeschooled, it's a better way for him to connect with his friends. Also, my mom doesn't use Instagram, but she said it was mandatory he keep his account private AND that he allow me to follow him-- so I can check up on what he's sharing.

Snapchat is the thing that scares me-- there's no real way to monitor that one.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Nikita is 14 now, and has had a FB, Instagram and Twitter account since her 13th birthday. I refused to violate the TOS which frustrated her endlessly
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Don't ask me I'm totally "that mean mom", my girls (the oldest of my kids) are 15 and 11 and they have no FB, no instagram, no nothing!!! I *just* let my 15 year old get an email account and that's only because she needed it for school!! I figure if they need to contact someone or someone needs to contact them...pick up a phone and call!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 11 year old daughter has 2, one personal for people she knows, and one for minecraft pics. I must say though, that she is more mature than some kids her age and understands to keep things private. I'm not sure I'd let my 7 year old do what my 11 year old is doing when she gets that age.

Last edited by Jennilyn; 08-21-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Mine are 9 & 10 and only have You Tube accounts I control. They watch Minecraft videos on it. DS1 wants a cell phone but only so he can play Minecraft on it & had I not botched my old phone by resetting (And now it want's a phone number to load) it I'd let him have it for that.

They don't have any tools to use Instagram. Some of their friends have iPads & various older phones that may or may not have cell service adn a few of them have Instagram or Facebook but most don't. Minecraft & You Tube seem to be the only things that most use.

We'll get the older one a phone next year when he starts middle school.

It'll be a dumb phone, not a smart phone.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My boys (8 and 10) don't have accounts, but my older son's friends have started following me which is really weird. I'm following some of them and am surprised at some of the content - while it's not totally inappropriate, if my boys put it up, it would be DELETED.

Penny
Old 08-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 13 y.o. DD has an account. She is only allowed to "friend" her actual IRL friends and her account has to remain viewable only by her friends.

As far as I can tell, 90% of her posts (and those of her friends) are of Starbucks drinks. Not sure what the fascination is with that? I find it weird how many pictures she takes of herself on a regular basis.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

My son is only 8 and has nothing, but the 2 daughters of one of our friends have IG accounts and follow me and I follow them. They are around my son's age (one younger, one older) and it is really very weird in my opinion. Girls are definitely different than boys.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My kids are still too young. I do know you have to be very involved if you let your kids into all of that. The one I heard to stay away from is snapchat.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids are 11, 10, 8, 6, and 5, and none have it. I am not against it at all, but they don't have their own tablets or smartphones, so obviously there is no way for them to use them. If Jennah or Gavin had a way to use instagram, I'd let them. Same with FB. I know that when they do have these things, I will have their passwords and be friends with them so there won't be anything I won't be monitoring. But for the foreseeable future, that probably won't happen as my kids have no reason to have smartphones at this point I told Jennah she can get a smartphone when she's 14, has a job, and pays her bill. Till then its just a luxury item that she doesn't need and I can't afford.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Ahhh what a post to introduce myself on....but here goes.

My son is four so this is a moot point, however I worked for 10 years in the internet industy, desinging websites, communities, working on PC games and my knowledge of online programs is, well it's horrific.

Honesetly the amount of people pretending to be minors to get at your childen is truly sickening, and I know a lot of MMO Games these days have moderators specifically to try and safegurd minors on their games regardless of the ratings.

My Tips would be...

Don't allow anyone under the age of consent near a social media application unless you are checking EVERY single PM or private chat they have. Anything that is public is moderated so that is usually safe.

If they play an MMO same deal, if it can't be locked down with controls provided, make sure you play with them and monitor them at all times.

Forums are okay, providing they have no access to PM's and are not in "private" forums.

The sad fact is that it's not your kids who are the worry, it's the people who are specifically on these programs targetting them, pretending to be the same age, sending PM's and the private chatting that it allows that you can't see.

Sometimes I love the internet for how small it's made the world, and othertimes I despair because of how easy it is for predators to gain access to our precious ones even in our own home (

Sarah
Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls are 13 and 11 1/2...they both have one. Their accts are set to private and I check often to make sure whoever is following them is either family or friends/school mates. If I don't know them or find them in their yearbooks, I delete them. lol Same with FB. Neither of them are allowed to have a Twitter acct. I don't see the point since they have IG and FB...not to mention I've never used Twitter, so I don't completely understand it and can't really watch them well enough to make it comfortable for me.

Now, I'm not sure how to combat accts I don't know about should my girls try to get sneaky and do that. That's the stuff that freaks me out.

Last edited by Laura_A; 08-28-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes. My almost 16 yr old (special needs son) has instagram, and only this summer, it was quite helpful for making sure the kids didn't forget about him over the summer, and he's loved it. It's his only social media he has, and it will prolly stay that way.

My 11 yr old son asked for an instagram account in May, I was not on, so I told him I would try it for a week and let him know if I would let him do it or not. Turns out, I loved it and I'm totally into instagram now, and I let him sign up for his a week later. We all have our accounts set to private, so we see who is following all of us. (I can't believe the freaky requests I've had and my boys have had a few, too - eek!)

My kids don't have their own phones. My older boy just uses my iphone or ipad when he asks for instagram, and my 11 yr old saved his money and sold a few things to buy a refurbished ipad mini for his birthday, but he doesn't know the wifi password, and only has internet when we are supervising him.

They are not on it every second, which I'm glad. There are definitely kids that like any pictures we post (no matter what time of day or night) in a matter of seconds after it goes up, everytime. That sorta freaks me out that it appears they are on ::every:: second.

I do make my kids show me everything they want to post, and I have to approve it before they do. I'm not a control freak, just trying to protect my kids and making sure they represent themselves well in this one social media outlet they have. I don't plan to let my kids have facebook. I think it's dying out with the teens, at least around here it is. They all instagram, and ignore their fb accounts.

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)

Last edited by Andrea G; 08-29-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

p.s. My youngest son just turned 8 a month ago, and he has several friends on instagram. He has asked me if he could be on, and it was an absolute no. I just don't think my 3rd grader needs to instagram. All the photos the kids his age are posting are dorky and it just feels entirely unnecessary. With my other boys, they are in 10th and 6th, a little older - I'm okay with that.

I do think snapchat is evil, and I will never let my kids have that, but it scares me mostly for girls to have that after some bad stories I've heard. I hate the whole premise that it's all a timed thing and is not permanent. Nope. Anything posted anywhere online can be permanent if people know how to take screen shots, etc. I think snapchat is way freaky!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
I actually like being on instagram for this reason. It's very cool that all my kids friends have friended me on there. I like keeping an eye on them and seeing if they are up to good things or not...

I don't think my boys have ever thought of unfriending me on instagram, but if they did, I would tell them their account would be closed if I was not their friend on there. I like having them be friends with their aunts and uncles, too. So far, not many of their aunts and uncles are on IG, but their grandma is, and they follow her and she follows them. One can never have too many adults watching, IMO.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just read an article the other day on how kids are mostly on Instagram rather than FB. I need to go find it.

Here are a bunch:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarze...ck-of-facebook

http://business.time.com/2013/03/08/...eens-think-so/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2899732.html