Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69
Default HELP ME!!! Eating Healthier

ok I posted this on my FB, but I know you guys can probably help me as well. I want to start eating a little healtheir for ALL of us, but especially for Peyton and his Asperger's. BUT, I have NO IDEA how to start and I am not a big research kind of girl. My DH and I work full time and have all 4 of the kids still at home. I have 2 boys (12 and 5) that are very very picky eaters....i.e. they could live on cereal, corn dogs, nuggets, spaghetti, fish, apples, cuccumbers, steak, potatoes....we are a meat kind of family so I just found a local butcher that sells organically feed meat so I am going to start there this weekend and buy a freezer for my garage. So I have to keep in mind that I can't shop real expensive (since there are 6 of us) and I don't really like to cook so I need to do things on the weekend so that my week can be alot easier. So please please please help me girls...... also I LOVE my crockpot so I am open to things that can be done in that as well
Old 04-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to say that my friend whose daughter has Asperger's has really improved with a more "natural" diet - as in no processed foods. My friend works outside the home and is married to a state trooper with crazy hours and has 2 kids but she has somehow been able to find the time to start making more things from scratch (i.e. homemade cookies with oatmeal and less sugar as opposed to store bought cookies, etc.)

So, I think I would begin with just slowly eliminating the processed stuff. Your family will probably rebel... LOL. Try to limit foods with dyes especially. Meat and vegetables, fruits, treats that are made at home so you can control what goes in them.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Marie you have any "treat" recommendations? I am also looking for a good homemade mac n cheese recipe
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have taken small steps to eat healthier. I would go for a lot more organic stuff if it wasn't so expensive! We don't eat a lot of junk food and I cook all our meals.. I'm trying to get away from canned things and processed food--at least... minimize those things. So the little things we have done more recently are...

using whole wheat pasta. I have one child who doesn't like it (but still eats it) and none of the others even notice.

dry beans instead of canned. I am LOVING this. I cook a whole bag at once and freeze whatever we don't use. There are only a couple meals that we notice a difference and a little salt helps with that. Anyway, way less sodium and better all around.

I'd like to cut out cold cereal but I can't right now. It's soooooo convenient and with a new baby on the way, I just can't do that to myself.

I also started making our own bread for sandwiches, however, that didn't go well for the kids (crazy!)... I'm going to try again soon.

I'm trying to cut back on crackers (for snacks for the kids), but that's a hard one for me too. We don't have as many options anymore, which helps... but I need to try some other things (like homemade granola or something).

I want to switch to brown rice too---I don't know why we haven't done that.

Anyway... those are our very little changes. it's a good start for us and it hasn't been hard to ease into. Hopefully you can come up with some things that will help your family!

*ohhh, I ONLY make homemade mac and cheese and my kids LOVE it! I'll try and find my recipe!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a good mac n cheese recipe...just have to grab the cookbook. It's baked though - not a quick lunch, but a yummy meal for sure.

Have you ever done a Big Cook? There's a cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Cook-D...words=big+cook) - pretty sure there is a 2nd edition too. Anyway - it has all the shopping lists, recipes, etc for you to do a HUGE cooking/prep day and get TONS of meals into your freezer. Most of them can be cooked in the crockpot, oven, or bbq. If you have a few friends, its a great girls day and you all go home with a load of meals for the freezer and you can buy in bulk and split the costs.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My homemade Mac and cheese is really easy, and takes about the same amount of time, but you are at the stove longer.

2 T butter
2 T flour
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 1/4 c milk
1 c grated cheddar (I prefer extra sharp, but grew up on mild)

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until combined.
Add milk all at once and increase to med-high heat. Stir frequently until thickened. When it starts bubbling reduce to medium heat for a minute or two.
Add your cheese and stir into cooked pasta.

This recipe makes enough for about one box of pasta. I love using Gemelli or Campinelli. If it's a little bland, add more cheese, salt, or pepper. I don't actually measure any of those anymore though, I think I usually underguess.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry Ange - I was being good and working and just now got back here

For treats I make homemade things like cookies and bars but I use recipes that have less sugar and none of the preservative crap that is in the store-bought stuff. Even homemade chocolate chip cookies are better for you than a Chips Ahoy because those have so much crap in them when you look at the ingredient list. If you make them at home you can use oatmeal, whole wheat flour, etc.

Here is a website that I love, and she has a facebook page too: 100 Days of Real Food

I also cook all my beans from dry at home instead of buying canned. They are so much cheaper at the natural food store in bulk. And here's a time saver: COOK THEM IN YOUR CROCK POT!!! No overnight soaking and no watching them like a hawk on the stovetop to make sure they don't overflow or worse run dry and burn to the pot and almost burn your house down (don't ask me how I know this!) Put the dried beans in your crock pot, cover with water 2 inches or so above the beans and put that sucker on high for about 4 hours. Beans done easy peasy. Like Sarah said freeze them in big ziplock bags and use when you need them. I keep black beans for Mexican dishes, chickpeas (garbanzos) for my hummus, and dark red kidney beans for chili and bean salad in the freezer at all times.

Cheese for homemade mac and cheese: Meunster is a great creamy mild cheese. And check the deli at your supermarket to see if they sell the "ends". I get all of my cheese from the ends basket. Sometimes it's not even the ends but a mistake or the customer changed their mind so they toss it in the basket and sell it for 1/2 price - same for meats.

Some of our favorite things to snack on but aren't sweet are:
Homemade salsa and corn chips
Homemade hummus with Kashi crackers or Ak-Mak crackers (check your natural foods aisle at the market)
Popcorn popped in coconut oil with various spices instead of butter
Homemade Granola

SALSA
14-ounce can diced tomatoes (nothing added to the can, just tomatoes - you'd be surprised at what some brands put in with the tomatoes!)
10-ounce can Rotel with Chiles
2 Tbs. onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 jalapeno (take the seeds out if you like it milder, leave the seeds in if you like it hotter)
1/8 tsp. evaporated cane juice (or sugar)
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1 Tbs. parsley or cilantro (whichever you like - I personally HATE cilantro!)
juice from 1/2 a lime.

Put all in a food processor and process until consistency you want.

**This is not a chunky salsa but more like the kind they serve at Chili's Restaurant.

ROASTED GARLIC HUMMUS
2 cups cooked chickpeas (canned or cooked from dry)
2 Tbs. Tahini paste
4 Tbs. Olive oil
1/4 cup warm water
1 large head garlic
Juice from 1 lemon
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Heat oven to 350. Cut just the top off a whole head of garlic. Place on piece of aluminum foil and drizzle just a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Wrap up foil and roast in oven for about an hour.

Once garlic is cooked let cool so you can handle it and squeeze out the garlic cloves. (This is kinda messy and sticky but so yummy!) In food processor add all the ingredients and process until smooth.

**This freezes really well! I make a batch and freeze it in 2 or 3 smaller containers so it stays fresh longer. We go through a cream cheese sized container every couple days and I just pull one out of the freezer when it starts to get low.

GRANOLA
I love this granola because it doesn't use oil to hold everything together but egg whites, which make it nice and crunchy and also adds protein

Heat oven to 275.

2 egg whites
1/3 cup honey or pure maple syrup (or a mix)
1 Tbs. Sucanat (brown sugar if you don't have sucanat)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
pinch salt
cinnamon to taste
2 cups oats (not quick oats)
1/4 cup pecan pieces
1/4 slivered almonds
1/4 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds (not roasted)
1 Tbs. ground flaxseed
1 Tbs. sesame seeds (raw)

2 Tbs. unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup dried blueberries**

In large bowl whisk egg whites, honey/syrup, sucanat, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon until well blended. Add everything else EXCEPT the dried fruit and coconut.
Spread in single layer on large pan and bake 60 to 70 minutes (until slightly browned). Remove from oven and sprinkle with coconut and dried fruit. Cool and store in air tight container.

**I use blueberries because blueberries are big business in Maine but you can use any dried fruit - cranberries, cherries, apricots (chopped up into small pieces), raisins.

When I have more time this weekend I'll hook you up with some meals that are take about 20 minutes to make and are super yummy - no crock pot needed (however, I use mine a lot too! And I'll hook you up with some of those recipes too)

Last edited by mariewilcox; 04-05-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I know you are super busy, so your crockpot will your best friend. Reading lots on nutrition and healthy eating is great...but there are so many conflicting views on healthy eating (paleo, grain free, dairy free, clean eating etc) that it can get overwhelming and confusing.

I added you to my group on Facebook, there is about 100 of us that are all fumbling and learning together.

I think the main thing to start with is whole foods; cutting out processed foods. It does take more work, but you can do a bunch of prep one day a week to make the rest of the week a lot easier.

Cut up a bunch of veggies for meals and snacks, make some homemade snacks (like homemade granola bars, hardboiled eggs, muffins, etc) and maybe a big batch of quinoa or brown rice to serve with meals.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I posted my baked mac n cheese on my blog for you - http://greenpixel.blogspot.ca/2013/0...-n-cheese.html

It might not be the healthiest (theres butter and cheese!) but use whole wheat (or "smart" pasta) and low fat milk, and toss in a few veggies, you're good. At the very least, there's nothing processed!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k23m View Post
I posted my baked mac n cheese on my blog for you - http://greenpixel.blogspot.ca/2013/0...-n-cheese.html

It might not be the healthiest (theres butter and cheese!) but use whole wheat (or "smart" pasta) and low fat milk, and toss in a few veggies, you're good. At the very least, there's nothing processed!
yum yum....may just have to try this tonight!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just to say, butter and cheese and even white sugar are a huge step up from all of the fake foods that you get in processed foods. It's a great place to start. Even making your fave cookie recipe for snacks is a huge step up from buying them.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Keep it simple and everything in moderation ( aside from veggies and fruit). I hate to cook but honestly even doing a few things homemade ends up being way tastier, healthier and budget friendly. We don't eat a lot of mea, we eat a lot of produce and as little processed stuff as we can. That being said, I don't cut anything out (as far as whole grains, dairy etc) entirely.

Jenn what's your group for?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

ok what is this "quiona" stuff you talk about? I have seen it more than once!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL Angie - here is a good article on quinoa

We eat it a lot instead of rice because it's a complete protein and is really versatile like rice. Don't eat it plain whatever you do! It's very bland but takes on flavors from spices and the things you cook it with well.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
I added you to my group on Facebook, there is about 100 of us that are all fumbling and learning together.

I think the main thing to start with is whole foods; cutting out processed foods. It does take more work, but you can do a bunch of prep one day a week to make the rest of the week a lot easier.
I'm glad you added her, because I was about to. LOL!

I am sooooo on the whole foods kick. It takes work and discipline, but it's so worth it.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

p.s. I just gave my kids cereal for a snack and they just got so angry and fighty just while eating it that I had to take it away. I'm not a huge fan of it myself, and every time I give it to them I realize just how bad it is.

We are all so much happier having something like eggs and toast or oatmeal for breakfast, and they aren't hungry an hour later either. If we get fancy and make pancakes I make sure that they eat at least one egg too, because pancakes are almost as bad as cereal.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with trying to reduce the amount of processed foods. IMHO, that's more important than going organic if the cost is a concern (which it is for most of us!). Limit white grains (flour, rice) and sugar. Which is, of course, easier said than done.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
ok what is this "quiona" stuff you talk about? I have seen it more than once!!!
I love quiona - we have it as a side dish just cooked in chicken (or veggie) broth, instead of rice. My 3 yr old GOBBLES it up! I've also got tons of recipes for it on pinterest (burgers, mac n cheese, etc). I have also "popped" it (just toss it in a dry pan for a couple minutes to toast it) and toss it on a salad..sort of instead of bacon bits or nuts, for a crunch!

Old 04-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree, take baby steps because if you change all of your food habits at once, you'll never keep up with it. For me this has been: drinking lots of water and nothing else (except for one cup of coffee in the morning, I NEED that), eating 2-3 fruits a day and making sure to eat vegetables every day. We also both work fulltime and there are times we don't feel like cooking in the evening, but if we decide on something quick, we always make sure to add at least some vegetables. Even frozen or canned veggies are better than none at all.
For example, we always eat broccoli with our macaroni and cheese. Not at lot of work to prepare, just cut and boil!
Good luck!