Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default scrapbooking horror stories

What is the worst thing that has happened to you involving your scrapbooking OR something that happened because of your scrapbooking?

Losing an amazing layout because the power went out.. perhaps burning dinner because you were working on a layout and forgot about it?

Share your troubles
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One time, I spent all my money at the awesome shop called Sweet Shoppe Designs. I went completely broke, had to sell my house and one kidney, and ended up buying more stuff the next Saturday.

Just kidding!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I lose several hours everytime I scrap, and my house gets messier the moment my back is turned. I'm thinkin' I'm not the only one this happens to though ;D
Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I lose several hours everytime I scrap, and my house gets messier the moment my back is turned. I'm thinkin' I'm not the only one this happens to though ;D
^
|
|
|
|

This!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You know, I spent two hours tonight doing a layout, finally get to the journaling part and the font just looks so weird... I look and I realize it was 5 inches wide!!! The papers came in just fine, that should have tipped me off that something was up if they didn't. No matter what I did with the template it still has sizing issues. So, I got out another template and redid it.

I guess it definitely could have been worse.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This one time (or maybe even several times), this silly soul (I don't want to embarass her, so we'll just call her Clara) didn't save her layered files and was a devout template user. Clara spent hours on this layout and was so proud of herself, flattened, saved, uploaded to Flickr only to notice...SHE HADN'T JOURNALED. Yes, the generic journaling was still there.

Clara was not very happy about that mistake.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Forgetting that I had put my wedding album in the oven for safekeeping during a tornado event....and turning on the oven the next day.

Thankfully, only melted a little of the outside plastic....
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Forgetting that I had put my wedding album in the oven for safekeeping during a tornado event....and turning on the oven the next day.

Thankfully, only melted a little of the outside plastic....
OMGsh. I think I just had a little heart attack reading this... What a relief!

Mine was my awesome dining room table incident that I shared a few days ago... the one where the bookplate on my WRMK album shredded the top of my brand new table. Gaah!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm ashamed to say this....
I scrapped instead of helping my daughter study for finals
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I have, more than once, closed my almost finished layout instead of closing whatever element I had open
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had about 30 minutes to kill before I tried my hand at a speed scrap (this was a few years ago - I was new to digi challenges and the digi community as a whole). I decided to use my nervous energy to clean up my desk. Finished that up quick and decided to dust while I was at it. While dusting, I knocked my EHD over and broke it. Lost all my scrap kits & supplies, and lost about three months of photos (including my baby boys first hair cut and first birthday). Moral of the story - back up your stuff!!!! And an additional moral - don't be a klutz and break your EHD like I did (especially if you're brave [erm - stupid? lol] and don't back anything up).
Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we just moved a few months ago from USA to Australia and in the rush to get everything ready, my husband did all the 'back up' on the computer. well when we got here and i went to get my scrapbook stuff literally EVERYTHING was gone. every single kit, action, and page i'd made in the last 3 years was gone!! i was pretty upset, but i have to say that my husband took it harder than i did. he cried. felt so bad...but i still had all my pictures, so now it's just a matter of re-scrapping and re-building my stash!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My entire first scrapbook is a horror story...decorative scissor edges on everything, poorly cropped and cut photos and an apparent fascination with Mrs. Grossman stickers.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

greatest horror story - trying my hand starting a business scrapping for others! People are down right rude!!

Second runner up... is thinking of all the times I have spent days scrapping memories, only to realize that I'm missing out on spending time with my kiddo, creating memories... now I try to get a bit more of a balance, downside, I don't scrap as much as I did few years ago...
Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Right after I started with digital scrapbooking in October 2012, the unspeakable happened: the hard drive of my laptop malfunctioned, and all my material and layouts were LOST. Thankfully, I mostly had free stuff on my computer at that time because I hadn't dared to spend serious money yet, but the loss of the layouts almost made me give up... I was SO devastated!
But I learned my lesson: I IMMEDIATELY bought an external hard drive as back up, and save everything I do more than once a day!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

awww gosh some of these are awful!!!

Glad some of you gave some humor to this thread too <3

Darcy - seriously so glad you realized in time!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexy View Post
we just moved a few months ago from USA to Australia and in the rush to get everything ready, my husband did all the 'back up' on the computer. well when we got here and i went to get my scrapbook stuff literally EVERYTHING was gone. every single kit, action, and page i'd made in the last 3 years was gone!! i was pretty upset, but i have to say that my husband took it harder than i did. he cried. felt so bad...but i still had all my pictures, so now it's just a matter of re-scrapping and re-building my stash!
Oh, Bexy!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalhartley View Post
My entire first scrapbook is a horror story...decorative scissor edges on everything, poorly cropped and cut photos and an apparent fascination with Mrs. Grossman stickers.
I'm actually going to have to deal with my first scrapbook today. I'm taking the day off work to organize DS2's albums since he is graduating high school this year. I shudder to look at his first one that I've already re-done twice. I know I cut the crap out of those photos. Blech.

Also, when I was a paper scrapper, I left out a layout and my twins, who were probably about 3 years old, painted on it. Instead of fixing it, I left it - that was a story to tell too.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have lost countless layouts. Either my program would randomly shut down for no apparent reason or the computer shuts off. Not fun

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Mine happened this week too. I have an iPhoto library just for templates, and it is pretty well key-worded. I was creating a new key word category for some projects I want to start, and somehow wiped out the whole "8 photos or more" category. I sobbed. It took a L-O-N-G couple of hours to re-tag them.

Oh and one of my granddaughters painted on a lo too, but ITA, that was its own story and into the album it went!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dropped my EHD and after that, it quit working. ALL my scrapping stuff...pictures, LOs, supplies, etc were inaccessible. I lost a year's worth of pages & photos. In that year we took a trip to Washington DC and multiple trips in Europe...and I lost all those photos.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:43 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Ive been lucky so far but now I have this fear that something is going to happen to my EHD and my online backup. Now I'm gonna have to double check.

One thing that I almost always do is make a mistake in my journaling. I never proofread it as I am so used to it being done automatically. And inevitably there is always a mistake. Also I dislike journaling and this doesn't make it any better.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had several... Losing layouts, a dead HD, a dead EHD... But the worst thing is what is happening right now: getting a fulltime job and having to juggle to find time to scrap! I used to scrap daily and I miss it. But it's the weekend now and I'm determined to get my fix this time!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

My biggest goof was getting WAY too busy with work to take pictures and scrap only sporadically for almost 2 years. I have barely any pictures of my kids, and even less of my memories scrapped. I finally smartened up a couple of weeks ago and left my good paying job as an assistant manager and took a lesser paying job with my company (because I love it there) as an office manager. I took a pay cut, but the hours aren't as long, and I work Mon-Fri! So I have time to scrap, and time to go running...time to be me!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Not sure I have really had any horror stories that I didn't get resolved. The one I can think of is when my EHD that holds my scrap stuff started to die. It's one that doesn't have a power switch and stays on all the time with my computer. I lost entire folders of stuff and when I realized my favorite stitches were gone, I almost wanted to cry. I emailed the shop owner and they let me download again. Shortly after, I downloaded recovery software and got back the things I was missing and now I make sure to unplug the drive whenever my computer is off ...so far so good but I keep backups either way now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Second runner up... is thinking of all the times I have spent days scrapping memories, only to realize that I'm missing out on spending time with my kiddo, creating memories... now I try to get a bit more of a balance, downside, I don't scrap as much as I did few years ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
I had several... Losing layouts, a dead HD, a dead EHD... But the worst thing is what is happening right now: getting a fulltime job and having to juggle to find time to scrap! I used to scrap daily and I miss it. But it's the weekend now and I'm determined to get my fix this time!
I have felt like this ^^^

When I was working, I would get home in the evening and get Aida settled in, start dinner and whatever else I had to do just so I could sit down to scrap. She was right next to me sitting at her little table watching cartoons or coloring but it wasn't the same as interacting with her. So now...balance is what I am working on now.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

*backing up now* sounds horrible. and i haven't backed up since december... bad girl.