Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2015, 09:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Photo editing for layouts - curious

What is your process for editing photos for your layouts?

Do you edit the photos first and then create the page?

Do you edit your photo in the middle of creating your page?

Or do you have a different kind of process all together?

I just realized I do it differently depending on if I picked my photo first or my kit first and it made me wonder how other people go about photo editing for layouts.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually do it as soon as I know for sure what photos I'm using, whether that's at first, middle or end.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Since I start a layout by choosing the photos first about 99% of the time, I edit my photos first before I do anything else
Old 03-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It kind of depends. My normal process of scrapping is to start with the kit, put in the papers, and then go searching for photos. Then I fill in with ellies, title, journaling etc. Somewhere in there once I have some ellies down and have a feel for whether or not the photo fits in well, I will start editing. Sometimes if it is a softer, lighter kit, I will do a levels adjustment and soften it up a bit. If it is a bright and flashy kit, sometimes I will pump the vibrance up and do an S curve adjustment layer. It really just depends, but it normally happens in the middle of making my page. The only time this isn't the case if it was a portrait shoot and I have previously edited the photos - then obviously that is done unless there is some reason the pics don't match.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to edit all my pictures at least weekly. Then, when it's time to scrap them, they are all ready.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Jen - I think my process is identical to yours.

If I pick the photo first, I edit it first. If I start the layout first, I edit second!! I need a better process too.

I've started keeping a pad of paper in my purse just to jot down photos/events I want to scrap and kits that would go nicely with them.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post

If I pick the photo first, I edit it first. If I start the layout first, I edit second!! I need a better process too.
Same here!
Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I always place the photo last (am I the only one?). Then, I'll edit and crop it. Then place it on my page.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I almost always start with the photo and edit it first.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I edit the photos as I go. I like to edit them to 'match' the vibe of the kit, so I usually don't edit my photos before I start to scrap.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I've started keeping a pad of paper in my purse just to jot down photos/events I want to scrap and kits that would go nicely with them.

oh my gosh, I do the same thing. I use Evernote and I have a notebook set up for scrapping ideas. I have a note for the bingo challenges, and one for just general ideas. I have photos, paired with the preview of the kit I want to use and any notes for the particular idea. It's a little overkill, but it works... and the best part is I have it sync'd with my ipad so I can get to it where ever I am and when ever an idea hits me
Old 03-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

it depends on if I am doing CT work or not. Usually I am scrapping a page for a CT so I pick my kit out and then find a photo and edit it and get it ready. If I am doing a challenge or just find a photo I really really want to scrap, I find a kit to match my photo instead of the other way around
Old 03-12-2015, 12:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
oh my gosh, I do the same thing. I use Evernote and I have a notebook set up for scrapping ideas. I have a note for the bingo challenges, and one for just general ideas. I have photos, paired with the preview of the kit I want to use and any notes for the particular idea. It's a little overkill, but it works... and the best part is I have it sync'd with my ipad so I can get to it where ever I am and when ever an idea hits me
Oh my goodness! I printed off some previews yesterday and then started going through images on my phone, flickr, and Instagram so I could match them up!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I always place the photo last (am I the only one?). Then, I'll edit and crop it. Then place it on my page.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I always pick my kit first and then edit my photos because I'm super picky about the photo working with the colors of a kit. And I add photos midway/toward the end a lot too.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

I always start with choosing what photos I want to use and then I choose a kit to use with them. I may edit them first and sometimes I will edit them last. It depends on how anxious I am; sometimes I want to get right to working on my page and other times I want to clean up my photo while still thinking about what direction I want to go in for my page.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually edit my photos as I load them onto my computer, so that's before they get scrapped. But sometimes a photo needs a different "look" for a layout, so I'll re-edit it when I scrap.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I almost always make my page with a photo placeholder and then search out an image after I've constructed my page (but usually before I've done the title work). I typically go into LR, make some basic edits and transfer to PS for finishing touches before adding the photo(s) to my finished page. I'm pretty sure my process is pretty counterintuitive for most scrappers
Old 03-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I pick the photos I want to scrap and then pick a template or figure out a layout that will work with how I want my photos arranged. Then I edit the photos and pull in bits & pieces of kits and things.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This is me too.

My iPhone thinks it's smarter than I am. Please forgive typos and other nonsense.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
Since I start a layout by choosing the photos first about 99% of the time, I edit my photos first before I do anything else
Yes, this.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Editing photos? What is that? LOL

Seriously, when it comes to scrapping, I very, very rarely edit photos. I went through a phase where I felt like they all needed to be edited. Now the most I ever do is lighten/brighten cell phone photos or anything that turns out a little dark. Actually, I take that back... if I have a really crappy picture from my old camera I might do a teensy bit more to it. I also did change my daughter's shirt color to match a kit not too long ago. Really though 90% of the photos in my layouts are SOOC.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
I edit the photos as I go. I like to edit them to 'match' the vibe of the kit, so I usually don't edit my photos before I start to scrap.

Totally me, too!
I can use most any kit for pictures, just changing the treatment a little will work. Kind of a mid-process thing when I get to it... or an end kind of thing if I didn't get to it earlier, lol! I usually pick photos before title work and journaling.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Editing photos? What is that? LOL

Seriously, when it comes to scrapping, I very, very rarely edit photos. I went through a phase where I felt like they all needed to be edited. Now the most I ever do is lighten/brighten cell phone photos or anything that turns out a little dark. Actually, I take that back... if I have a really crappy picture from my old camera I might do a teensy bit more to it. I also did change my daughter's shirt color to match a kit not too long ago. Really though 90% of the photos in my layouts are SOOC.
This would be me, too. I only do the barest minimum of editing when absolutely necessary...and if I think about. The most I'll do is fix white balance on some phones - mainly those from sci fi cons since the lightening for that is usually horrid.

I figure life isn't perfect so I guess photos can't be either and I hate when the look overly processed.