Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default Additional Help - Shopping for an 8 year old

A couple of weeks ago I asked for suggestions of what would be good clothing options for an 8 year old girl for the first day of school. My co-workers and I are sponsoring a child through work to provide her with a first day of school outfit, backpack, and school supplies.

We had some question regarding the size we were told the child is and just got back confirmation today that, although she's 8, she's a big child and is wearing a misses size 10 for bottoms and a misses size extra small for tops.

I don't suppose anyone would have some ideas in that size range what would be age appropriate for an 8 year old.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think you can find the same kinds of outfits, but you'll just have to be more careful that they aren't too low cut, too shaped, etc. A denim skirt like this from Old Navy would be cute, and the waist has some stretch to it. A denim skort like this from Kohls would be good, too.This one comes in colors; I like the turquoise or purple for an 8 year old.

I didn't see any good shirts on the Old Navy website, but maybe something like this shirt from Kohls.

Last edited by rach3975; 08-05-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I am another fan of Old Navy and Kohl's and that is awesome what you guys are doing!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For tops you can try Aeropostle. They have cute T-shirts. You just have to watch the cut. The ones with a deep v-neck with layer with a cami (tank top with thin straps). I was in there yesterday and they had a nice variety.

As for pants I would say jean capri's because I'm guessing she's not as tall as someone that would wear a size 10 if she's only 8.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the help.

When we checked with the shelter to doublecheck the size, they told us that she's a "big girl" for her age. I just hope we get something she likes.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My daughter is 7 and is harder to fit clothes because she has a "tummy" and is on the chubby side. If that is what they mean by "big girl" lol then I would go with a shirt that would work as a dress on her if she isn't tall enough to fill it out lengthwise and leggings for the bottom. We have a really hard time finding jeans that fit my oldest.

here are some tops at old navy that are more flattering on bigger girls, the XXL should work if she is in a misses x-small.
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=520829052
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=520592012
Old 08-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

She may be too young, but the middle school years were big Aeropostale years for my girls. They wanted nothing more than to wear t-shirts with that big Aeropostale logo splashed across it. My youngest is still in this stage and I got some really cute shirts with sequins and ombre (oh my word, it's so cute) for her.

It seems really strange that she would wear an XS shirt and that size of pants... plus those XS shirts are really small (my oldest wears an XS). I'd probably buy a S so she has some room to grow at least.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the additional help.

From what I can gather from what they've told us and the sizes, I'm guessing by big they mean that she's tall. Honestly, it doesn't surprise me too much. My cousins daughter has been wearing misses sizes since about the same age. She's now 11 and has to look down at me. *LOL*
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Rachel's BFF is going to be 8 next year and is wearing bigger clothes than that Her mom bought her school clothes at Kohl's. If you get pants, someone will probably have to hem them up for her, so skirts might be a good option.