Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Star Struck...

Oh my! I went to my very first author meet n greet yesterday! It was for Kate DiCamillo! It was so much fun! I'm completely star stuck! Her books are wonderfully written! Even though they are children's lit, this grown up loves them!

I loved listening to her talk about her newest book, and answering all the questions. She is soooo nice!!!

I took my The Tale of Despereaux to be signed. (And for those of you that don't know my last name is Camillo) My old book has my last name written in the front cover, the ladies working and Kate thought it was so neat that our last names were only off by two letters.

(Photos of geeky me on my instagram!)hehehehehe

Has anyone else gone to a Meet n Greet for an author???

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-30-2019, 09:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hey now you can't tell us about it and then say "photos are on IG" I want to see said photos!! Hook us up!!

I've never met anyone that I really care about, or care to meet. I've met a few Red Wings players back in the day and saw Samuel L Jackson a few years ago, but wasn't star struck--although I don't know who would make me star struck as I'm not quite sure who most people are until after Ive already met them.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:28 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Hey now you can't tell us about it and then say "photos are on IG" I want to see said photos!! Hook us up!!

I've never met anyone that I really care about, or care to meet. I've met a few Red Wings players back in the day and saw Samuel L Jackson a few years ago, but wasn't star struck--although I don't know who would make me star struck as I'm not quite sure who most people are until after Ive already met them.

hahaha... okay... gotta get them off my phone!!!

Old 09-30-2019, 09:35 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I should have taken my real camera, but didn't... so here are a few pics from my phone.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
I should have taken my real camera, but didn't... so here are a few pics from my phone.

That's awesome!! She looks so down to earth too!! I love that you were able to meet her, talk to her and get photos with her!! What an amazing person to give a fan some of her time during a signing!!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I guess I was so surprised about how nice she really was! She was great with all the children there as well! And I had all these questions to ask and could only remember one when the time came. My brain went blank.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:46 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

How exciting!! There are so many authors I'd love to hear speak, I'd greatly enjoy hearing firsthand about their creative processes.

Last fall I took my 10 year old son to a Meet & Greet with author Max Brallier [The Last Kids on Earth series] and it was amazing! It was so inspiring to hear him discuss his writing process and the fascinating ways he uses storyboards and illustrations to stimulate his creativity while developing plotlines and characters. My son was thrilled to hear the author read an excerpt - he couldn't get over the idea of how cool it would be to get to read a story that YOU wrote to other people

It was such a wonderful experience for my son. It truly inspired him to spend more time on his independent creative writing and as a result, he started keeping a writing journal shortly thereafter. Currently, he's writing and illustrating a comic book with several of his friends.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
How exciting!! There are so many authors I'd love to hear speak, I'd greatly enjoy hearing firsthand about their creative processes.

Last fall I took my 10 year old son to a Meet & Greet with author Max Brallier [The Last Kids on Earth series] and it was amazing! It was so inspiring to hear him discuss his writing process and the fascinating ways he uses storyboards and illustrations to stimulate his creativity while developing plotlines and characters. My son was thrilled to hear the author read an excerpt - he couldn't get over the idea of how cool it would be to get to read a story that YOU wrote to other people

It was such a wonderful experience for my son. It truly inspired him to spend more time on his independent creative writing and as a result, he started keeping a writing journal shortly thereafter. Currently, he's writing and illustrating a comic book with several of his friends.

Oh my gosh!! That sounds awesome!!! I can't even begin to think how I'd feel as a kid meeting an author I admired!

Old 09-30-2019, 10:36 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I've met Anthony Doer (author of All the Light We Cannot See) a few times. Of course, he lives about 30 minutes away from where I live.... But the first time I heard him speak was way back in 2006/2007 when my college picked his book of short stories as their first-year read (they make all incoming freshmen read the same book). I was not a freshman, but I still read the book and loved listening to him speak. An incredibly brilliant man, yet very approachable and down to earth.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I went to a Meet & Greet a couple of months ago. It was Anne Hillerman, daughter of the late Tony Hillerman. She continued her father's Jim Chee series. She signed my book and I'm sad I didn't think to bring Tony Hillerman's books because she said she can sign those as well. But it was nice to meet her and chat for a couple of minutes.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieShatto View Post
I've met Anthony Doer (author of All the Light We Cannot See) a few times. Of course, he lives about 30 minutes away from where I live.... But the first time I heard him speak was way back in 2006/2007 when my college picked his book of short stories as their first-year read (they make all incoming freshmen read the same book). I was not a freshman, but I still read the book and loved listening to him speak. An incredibly brilliant man, yet very approachable and down to earth.
Oh nice!!

Old 10-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaja77 View Post
I went to a Meet & Greet a couple of months ago. It was Anne Hillerman, daughter of the late Tony Hillerman. She continued her father's Jim Chee series. She signed my book and I'm sad I didn't think to bring Tony Hillerman's books because she said she can sign those as well. But it was nice to meet her and chat for a couple of minutes.
That's great she was able to continue the books!!!

Old 10-02-2019, 09:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
Oh my! I went to my very first author meet n greet yesterday! It was for Kate DiCamillo! It was so much fun! I'm completely star stuck! Her books are wonderfully written! Even though they are children's lit, this grown up loves them!

Has anyone else gone to a Meet n Greet for an author???
omg!! We love Kate DiCamillo! I wish we would visit our place too!!

I have met Nicholas Sparks this year and I too, got star strucked, I giggled all the time and I feel like my photos looked like I was constipated or in pain or something because I don't want my whole teeth to cover my face if I smile with open lips, and when he finally stood up on the table, I squealed like a highschool girl seeing her crush close up. Embarrassing but worth the wait.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:42 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
omg!! We love Kate DiCamillo! I wish we would visit our place too!!

I have met Nicholas Sparks this year and I too, got star strucked, I giggled all the time and I feel like my photos looked like I was constipated or in pain or something because I don't want my whole teeth to cover my face if I smile with open lips, and when he finally stood up on the table, I squealed like a highschool girl seeing her crush close up. Embarrassing but worth the wait.
Oh my! Nicholas Spark would be so cool to meet too!!!
I couldn't believe how nervous and excited I was!!!!

Old 10-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Fun!! I read The Tale of Desperaux to my 3rd grade class about 14 years ago & will NEVER forget the day a little mouse came in our classroom while I was reading!!

I met Jan Brett when I was a first grade teacher - her daughter was stationed in the same place we were and she came each year for a visit.

And our whole family met Eric Litwin (the original Pete the Cat books) at a library event at few years ago.

My most starstruck moment, though, was probably meeting Alex Trebek during a USO tour when we were stationed in Japan.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

OMG! That's so exciting!! I'm so happy for you. Thanks for sharing your photos.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
Fun!! I read The Tale of Desperaux to my 3rd grade class about 14 years ago & will NEVER forget the day a little mouse came in our classroom while I was reading!!

I met Jan Brett when I was a first grade teacher - her daughter was stationed in the same place we were and she came each year for a visit.

And our whole family met Eric Litwin (the original Pete the Cat books) at a library event at few years ago.

My most starstruck moment, though, was probably meeting Alex Trebek during a USO tour when we were stationed in Japan.
Some of the teachers sitting in from of me said they had met Jan Brett and said she was awesome as well! So now I hope she comes back around again!!