Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2017, 02:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Qotd: What was your first job? (10/03)

What was your first job? How did you get it? How did you do?

My first job was in a grocery store. My friend her sister worked in that store and they were looking for an extra pair of hands during the summer. I had to do a job interview and a day later, I could start.

I didn't like it much though. It was my first job and I was only 16. My co-workers weren't that nice and understanding at all. I sat at the cash register and one day some other friends from school came to the grocery store and made fun of me.
I was glad when summer vacation was over and I could go back to school.

How about you?

Old 10-03-2017, 06:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Burger King - I was 16 as well and got it by applying and interviewing per the norm. I didn't mind it; I was working just a few shifts a week during the school year and loved having the money. I was there about 9 months and then when summer came I moved on to a regular restaurant and started waitressing at 17 and loved that money even more
Old 10-03-2017, 07:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was also 16 and applied for a receptionist job at a nursing home. They only hired from within for positions like that, but they hired me as a housekeeper. I scrubbed toilets and whatnot for a year and a half. Ugh!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't start working until I was in college, and I got a job working nights at KB Toys. I LOVED the independence of earning my own money! And I loved meeting people who weren't like me. But I hated working the cash register and losing such a big chunk of my paycheck to taxes!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:33 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

McDonalds was my first job. I was 14 and actually worked there as a casual until I was 21! It saw me through high school and while studying for my teaching degree at university. I mostly worked on the registers, and in later years found my niche running the kids' birthday parties. Eventually I was training the younger staff in running parties, which was fun. The pay was good and for the most part I enjoyed my years there.

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 10-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Well I was 16 too, got to help my mom in the bar, and then her boss offered me proper salary so I started working at the evenings till late, washing dishes and waitressing, next morning had to go to school, I was extremely tired by the end of school year but very happy of having my own money. Yes it's addicting to be independent from parents)
Old 10-03-2017, 07:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I was 16 when I started working at Long John Silver's. I'd go home smelling like fish and cole slaw. Buuuut, I was one of six kids so if I wanted money to do fun things with friends I had to work.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I didn't start working until I graduated high school... I saw an add for our local cheese store/bakery... I sliced a lot of cheese, bacon and bread... A LOT... that summer. I eventually moved into the bakery... I like the bakery better in that it was quieter, didn't have to deal with the customers... but had to get up at 4:30 in the morning and couldn't leave until all the pans were washed, which was like 3/4pm. Long days.

Then in college I worked part time for the university's IT department installing new computer and fixing old computers... hated that job, but it was flexible and paid well.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I did the usual babysitting on weekends starting when I was 12 and then during summer vacation until I was 16. I would also stuff envelopes for my mom at the credit union when it was time to send out the statements. At 16 I got a summer job at a local amusement park like most kids in my high school.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I love reading about your first jobs.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I delivered newspapers and stuff like that from 11 and up but my first "real" job as at a restaurant when I was 15. I cleared the tables.. My husband was actually a dishwasher there and I had the biggest crush on him :P We didn't start dating until after high school though

I got fired because I took a trip to Norway and apparently they didn't give me the time off :P
Old 10-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I babysat a lot starting around 12 or 13, and that was my main source of spending money throughout high school. Then my first "real" summer job was at 17. I worked as a teacher's aide at a preschool's summer camp. I loved the kids and the job--I stayed there for 4 summers.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I worked packaging cookies in a cookie factory. It was not nearly as much fun as it sounds.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, I really don't want to go back and think about it!

My first job was working at Burger King. I was too embarrassed to tell my boyfriend at the time that's where I had an interview. Lol.. like he wasn't going to find out?! It turned to be an alright job and I worked there for 3 years before going off to college. Speaking of college, my boss offered me the Assistant Manager position of the store if I'd stay and not go to college. HAHAHAHA! I noped the heck out of there.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I babysat for a couple of families in my neighborhood and church before I was 16 but my first real job was working the drive through at Steak 'n' Shake.

It was a nightmare. I rarely got a break because the other (older) workers refused to take over drive through for me (even though that was illegal since I was underage) & drive through was not only doing that but also any other menial task someone else didn't want to do or taking over for people who didn't show up to work. I prepped salads, washed dishes, made shakes, and a dozen other things when we were slow. I did lose 20 pounds, though, in 6 weeks!

My second job was my favorite/the best one I've ever had -- working at a mini-golf & arcade place. We got to make our own hours with little to no supervision, everyone from school came by at least once or twice a summer, we gave out free games & tokens (shhh!) to our friends, & we were all about the same age and friends outside of work. I worked 4-5 nights a week and the other 2-3 nights I would inevitably stop by at some point & often at closing so that we'd all go out to eat at a 24/7 diner nearby afterwards. That's where I met my first love, too. The second summer I worked there was the best summer of my life.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My first paid job was during the school holidays as a casual children's day program worker that I did for about 3-4 years. My first permanent job was when I was 17 as a waitress at Pizza Hut

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 10-07-2017, 03:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My first job was in a lamp store. I was 16 years old when I got it and I worked two days a week for two horus and weekends. I happened upon an advertisement and sent in my application, interviewed and got it the same day.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:34 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My first job was a favorite in my life. When I was 18, I worked as a nurse at a big traumatology.