Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default treadmill vs. elliptical

discuss.

LOL, I just sold my treadmill and bought an elliptical machine, and am really happy with it so far. Which do you like better and why?

I like the elliptical better because it is easier on my knees, and I don't have to worry about my boobs. Yes, you read that right; my boobs. I have to wear a sports bra on my treadmill if I want to run, but I can jump on the elliptical anytime I want without having to go find one of my sports bras.

Downside, if I ever do 5K on it, it wont be the same as completing it on the treadmill. Running is so much harder on the treadmill than going fast on the elliptical. Also, right now my feet tingle for a little bit after getting off the elliptical.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've wanted to try the elliptical, but don't think I am able to yet.

My trainer actually took me off the treadmill because he said that the exercise wasn't as cardio as simply doing the WATP dvds. At first I thought he was nuts, but as I've been doing them, I have noticed more of a burn than when I did 30 minutes on the treadmill.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely the elliptical! I have a sore heel so can't run on a treadmill as the impact of each step makes it very painful so I always stick with the elliptical at the gym!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

The elliptical is my fav because I feel it more and I get blisters if I use the treadmill for too long.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I alternate. I get more miles & can better maintain a heartrate on the elliptical in the same amount of time I am on a treadmill. But I like the the incline/decline option on the treadmill & some of it's specific programs. Mostly I do 30-40 minutes on the elliptical & then move on to free weights & machines but if I am taking a body pump or body flow class I'll start with 15-20 minutes on the treadmill.

I had trouble with my feet & knees on the treadmill but switched to Vibram Five Fingers shoes and they cleared right up
Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

treadmill = boredom = quit for me. doesn't matter how Nike tries to jazz it up.

with the elliptical, you can go backwards and forwards, vary your toe point so it keeps it interesting.

think someone has an elliptical that somehow combines the two - the footbeds are mini-treadmills or something? that'd be a fun ride

Old 03-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I had to stop using the elliptical because of my feet. After about 15 minutes they started to tingle and by 20 minutes they were completely asleep.... not a good feeling! So now I just walk briskly on the treadmill at a steep incline as I am not a huge fan of running. Wish I could find a solution to my foot problem on the elliptical thought!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Sorry about the foot issues on the elliptical Terra! Mine just tingle for a little while after I get off.

Nettie, I am less board on the elliptical too! Oh, and mine has a incline ramp built in. It has 3 options, 10 degree, 15, and 20. Not a huge incline, but I can feel it.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My vote is for the treadmill, I had the exact same issue as Terra! I couldn't stand it. A lot of people tell me the treadmill is boring, but I can put my ipod on and walk forever. Of course, I may not be getting the best cardio workout. I need to bump up the incline. I like walking outside, but I have plantar fasciitis now and I can't help but feel that pounding the pavement 2-3 miles a day didn't in some way contribute. UGH!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I prefer the elliptical. I have an arthritic knee and it is much easier on my knee doing the elliptical. I do notice a slight tingling in my feet when I get off too but, it is not anything that bothers me during my workout.

I also like it because I get a much higher calorie burn on the elliptical than on the treadmill in the same amount of time. (I am not a runner so I typically just did a brisk walk on the treadmill)

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I think it's different for each person. I used to loathe running and therefore the treadmill, and would always use the elliptical. Now, I like running, so I'd rather use a treadmill, lol. Ellipticals are usually easier on the joints than treadmills or regular outdoor running since they're super low impact.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a treadmill person... I just am not coordinated to use a elliptical. LOL! But then, I'm not a runner, so I do a fast walk on the treadmill... which, if you would watch me, I'm not very coordinated either - I always feel like I'm going toward the right side.... so at the gym I only use the weightlifting machines and my cardo comes from aqua zumba or water aerobics.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like both We have a treadmill here at home and I use it at least 3 days a week. I wish we had room for an elliptical! It would be fun to vary workouts. But the treadmill works for me!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

elliptical is def not the same work out as running.. it's cross training- uses different muscles rarah. Is that a bad thing? no.. But it's def not anything like running a 5k. For that you should just you know.. go outside you can do it ^_^

ps you are aware, that i hate both
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

for muscle burn-elliptical. for distance and training-treadmill. I just plug in my ipod, my kindle, and start running. I can do miles a lot easier on the treadmill.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
elliptical is def not the same work out as running.. it's cross training- uses different muscles rarah. Is that a bad thing? no.. But it's def not anything like running a 5k. For that you should just you know.. go outside you can do it ^_^

ps you are aware, that i hate both
Me no likey outside. LOL I do walk a ton once the weather gets better (sidewalks are still too icy here) I just wanted a way to do some cardio at home.

I know I should try and stick with the running, but failing on completing couch25k was giving me a complex. I am going to try and set more obtainable fitness goals to help keep me motivated.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I walk on my treadmill every morning and it's fine, but I really regret selling my elliptical a few summers ago.

SAHM to three girls (17,12,8) and two (very) spoiled mutts!

5 year breast cancer survivor

Words With Friends user ID: kpnv70

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Scrapper007/
Old 03-21-2011, 01:51 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
Me no likey outside. LOL I do walk a ton once the weather gets better (sidewalks are still too icy here) I just wanted a way to do some cardio at home.

I know I should try and stick with the running, but failing on completing couch25k was giving me a complex. I am going to try and set more obtainable fitness goals to help keep me motivated.
i hated c25k... i think you know this as well.. lol.. But, it's not a big deal.. you don't have to run I was just saying it's different lol.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

my reason for liking the elliptical more has nothing to do with the workout but the sound level. lol. i love that there isn't a loud motor that runs with the elliptical. the sound of the treadmill drives me crazy

I like going for walks outside and am eagerly anticipating spring to come.. last year we had problems with grizzlies in our town so i'm hoping that isn't the case this year. KINDA makes for walking outside a bit scary
Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenee View Post
I also like it because I get a much higher calorie burn on the elliptical than on the treadmill in the same amount of time. (I am not a runner so I typically just did a brisk walk on the treadmill)
This is me too. I like the smoothness of the elliptical. I get a good workout without all the extra impact from the treadmill. Plus I like how easy it is to change to speeds. I tend to push myself harder because I don't have to worry about keeping up with that one single speed like on a treadmill.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

LOL, ditto on the bear factor. We had once in our backlane last summer. I never saw it, but my DH saw it one night well out walking the dog. Hmmm....maybe I should take up running again; so I can run away from any bears I see!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:10 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
. Hmmm....maybe I should take up running again; so I can run away from any bears I see!
incentive.

though, im pretty sure if you run they'll just eat you
Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just can't get a good workout on an elliptical. I've tried, and I really prefer running. I'd rather run outside, but 99% of my runs are on a treadmill at the Y since that's where I have childcare available ...
Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

While I like the elliptical more, I find that I cannot lose the weight after a while unless i run. I hate running, although at the gym they have individual TVs in front of the treadmills and I watch HGTV (with closed captioning) and crank up my MP3 player so it is better.

For those that get tingly toes...I used to have this same issue but I usually pressed through it some. I was then wearing Nike shoes, I did some research found the Asics shoes for my type of step and ones with cushioning in the forefoot and now I can do the elliptical without getting tingly toes for quite a while. If I go 45 minutes or more I do start to feel it a bit, but nothing like before. So now I always try to get the same shoes (Asics 1140 and just got Asics 1160 which I believe are the same just newer model).
Old 03-21-2011, 02:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't use treadmills, so if I run, I go outside. For indoor exercise, I love my elliptical. I've noticed that if you loosen your shoes, the tingling is minimized significantly. The calorie counters on all machines are notoriously inaccurate (inflating calories burned), I read that only around 5% of are even close to accurate. The elliptical I have is much lower than ones I've tried at gyms and it's not because I'm doing a less vigorous workout.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I *LOVE* the elliptical at the YMCA...which is why I bought one 3 years ago....I freaking hated the one I bought!!! And it wasn't a cheap one either....it was in the $600 dollar range!!! It just was NOTHING like the ones at the Y and I'm sure it's because theirs were in like the $3000 dollar range!!! It was choppy and just didn't "flow" like the big money ones!!! It also winded me badly after only like a few minutes and I could go on the one's at the gym for at least and hour!!!

We just bought a Nordic Track treadmill and I LOVE it!!!! It was originally $899 and we got it on sale for $599. It's this one from Sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...sName=View+All

I just walk on it but my hubby (who is 6' 2" and weighs in at 259) loves to run on it and he says it's so comfy!!!! I'll never ever forsake my treadmill again!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i find that i go back and forth with what i want to do, sometimes i want to do elliptical because it does burn more calories, and also because to me it feels more effortless - so basically lazy me usually picks the eliptical LOL

BUT i love love love to run when i'm feeling it, when i do the treadmill I can actually count the distance i go (which really, the eliptical doesn't translate to actual distance... unless there is something i don't know maybe if you ski or something i guess). I also find it easier to do intervals on the treadmill, it is harder for me to gage how hard i'm pushing myself on the elliptical... which also really doesn't make sense LOL

The problem for me with the elliptical is that I find it boring a lot of the time... like it is just burning calories for the sake of calories kwim? the treadmill makes me feel like i am going somewhere, working toward a goal... like la said, i can actually use that training to run a 5k or I can chase my kids or something like that.

any way, yeah, depends on my mood. Oh, also, i wanted to mention, my knees have issues too, but doing the couch to 5k program really worked me up to running at a pace that my knee could keep up with - the more you run the stronger your muscles that hold your knee in place can get. Now i almost never have knee pain.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

dude, how could i take like 5 paragraphs to say the same thing LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
for muscle burn-elliptical. for distance and training-treadmill. I just plug in my ipod, my kindle, and start running. I can do miles a lot easier on the treadmill.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

at the gym I stick to the treadmill because I don't really know how to use an elliptical. I do like that the treadmill is just punch in your speed and then do it. The set speed keeps me moving. I tune out that I'm on a treadmill and just watch the tv. I did hop on a elliptical twice and couldn't figure out if it had a way to set the speed. If I have to be in control of the speed, then I'll be drifting faster and slower and not getting the workout that I want. Do they have a speed control? (sure I could ask a gym rat, but all those super bods act like I'm an idiot for not knowing these things)
Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't think there is a speed control. Mine has different programs you can punch in so that it tells you to go certain speeds throughout the workout and tells you when you are going too fast or too slow.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna Clingerman View Post
dude, how could i take like 5 paragraphs to say the same thing LOL
*giggle* but you said it so eloquently!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
at the gym I stick to the treadmill because I don't really know how to use an elliptical. I do like that the treadmill is just punch in your speed and then do it. The set speed keeps me moving. I tune out that I'm on a treadmill and just watch the tv. I did hop on a elliptical twice and couldn't figure out if it had a way to set the speed. If I have to be in control of the speed, then I'll be drifting faster and slower and not getting the workout that I want. Do they have a speed control? (sure I could ask a gym rat, but all those super bods act like I'm an idiot for not knowing these things)
Ellipticals are typically resistence based, although mine also has a mechanism for target heartate (if you heart rate is too low, the resistence goes up until you're at the target heart rate you chose).
Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

The ellipitcal is way, way easier, but it doesn't burn the same. I go on the eliptical when I want an easier work out.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like both, but I get a better cardio work-out on a treadmill. The elliptical is much easier on my knees but I also hate the tingly foot thing. Plus, my gym closed and I was using the elliptical at our work gym which doesn't have the arm levers that you pull on, so it was lame.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

If you are having foot issues with running or the elliptical I highly recommend looking into the Vibram Five Fingers. I have plantar fasciitis & would get terrible foot cramps doing anything aerobic for too long but switching to the Vibrams has totally eliminated the problem.

Seriously. They are ugly as hell but they work.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
Do they have a speed control? (sure I could ask a gym rat, but all those super bods act like I'm an idiot for not knowing these things)
Usually I pick an Interval or Fat Burn program and then it changes resistance for me so I don't have to think about it.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My personal trainer has me use both...but I only use the treadmill at the beginning of my workout for 5-10 minutes to get my heart rate up, and then the elliptical for 20 minutes at the end (by then I'm completely exhausted, and she makes me do this routine 4 times: 2 minutes forward as fast as I can, 1 minute backwards, 1 minute forward on my left leg only, 1 minute forward on my right leg only). But she said that if I'd prefer to use the elliptical or rowing machine or bike instead of the treadmill that I could, as it's just a warmup/cardio thing.

When I go in to do cardio only though, I do the treadmill...I find it easier, even if I'm running. When I'm doing cardio I tend to do walking 5 minutes/running up to 5 minutes (if I can do that much), alternating them for 30 minutes.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had abdominal surgery about 2 years ago, and I still find the elliptical difficult. It requires alot of core strength (which can be a plus!). So if you are in great shape in general I would really recommend an elliptical. If you are in recovery or just starting an exercise program, I would stick with a treadmill or even a stationary bike!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I hate the treadmil. When I get off my brain still thinks I am running or something and I end up with that weird dizzy I am falling help me stand feeling. Doesn't seem to matter where I look while on it either or whether I am walking or running on the damn thing. Ugh all around hate treadmils, I would much rather run outside.

As for the elliptical I love them but I also get the tingeling feet thing that everyone is talking about but I ignore that and keep going.

It's almost time for me to buck up and get my Bum back at the gym working out with the trainers. Been on injury vacation for too long!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't use either one if I can help it.

I'm not sure I'm buying that the elliptical burns more calories than a treadmill, unless you're talking about walking.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post
I don't use either one if I can help it.

I'm not sure I'm buying that the elliptical burns more calories than a treadmill, unless you're talking about walking.
Yes, I just walk briskly on the treadmill. I can work out harder it seems on the elliptical so I burn more calories in the same amount of time. This is all according to my Bodybugg's count.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I vote Arc Traner! Think Elliptical meets Stair Master = kicks my ass!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Elliptical for me because it is easier on the joints. I think I get a better cardio work out since I can set the resistance high when I want to. I do like walking, and since I have two big dogs, walking is part of our daily routine. I don't run anymore, my knees can't take it.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I like the elliptical better because it is easier on my knees, and I don't have to worry about my boobs. Yes, you read that right; my boobs. I have to wear a sports bra on my treadmill if I want to run, but I can jump on the elliptical anytime I want without having to go find one of my sports bras.
Word.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Stacey, thanks for the tip about the Vibrim Five Fingers. I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis for a year and I'm not looking forward to another summer of not being able to walk, hike etc. without causing myself pain. I'll try anything, I don't care if they are ugly!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenee View Post
Yes, I just walk briskly on the treadmill. I can work out harder it seems on the elliptical so I burn more calories in the same amount of time. This is all according to my Bodybugg's count.
Ditto, except I do run on the treadmill. But I up the resistance on the elliptical like crazy to try and burn as much as I can. I don't trust the silly machine's count, I just go with my bodybugg.