Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummyd
Default new kits

Can someone let me into their secrets on how to choose which kits to buy......lol, I am searching through the store and fallen in love with so many goodies I just can not narrow it down which ones to choose.
Even been doing eney meany miney moe, I shall get you and still can not choose on which ones to buy
Old 04-03-2016, 04:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When the kits all look good, and you have trouble choosing, it may be easier to look at your photos and decide which ones you want to scrap first. THEN look for kits that go with those photos.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

gosh I would never be able to choose a kit for the photo, I am a buy it and scrap it girl and then if I don't have a photo get the children to sit for some....lol
Old 04-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thereʻs really no way to narrow it down... just buy them all!

Old 04-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Ok, I know that wasnʻt helpful! LOL...

Look closely at the contents of the kit. What are some of your must-have basic pieces that you always use in kits? Frames? Lots of flowers? Make sure the kit has your favorite basics. Then look at the papers... does the kit have papers that you tend to like to use? For me itʻs not too many patterns that are ʻbusyʻ or lots of white/color or too many multicolored papers. I can pretty much tell by glancing at the lineup of papers (or looking at the CT layout examples) if the papers have enough variety and plain papers for my taste.

Just get very critical with the ones you are torn between. Thatʻs my only advice.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

yes I am normally a plain jane with my papers too, but do like to use a hint of patterned papers under lots of clustering, flowers, leaves and anything really for lots of clustering is a must, I do love the more real feel to elements but can work with most items and not afraid to scrap, last year I took a step back from scrapping for awhile so this year I am making a come back and trying to work with more styles of scrapping.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Donna, if you're inclined to play some of the bingo challenges they often give you a direction to go/type of kit to purchase. And you can earn a coupon worth up to 40% off for all those other kits you want! This is my third month playing and I love how the prompts challenge me to try new things I haven't before or scrap in a style not normally my own. I've found I love the pages I make for bingo challenge much more than regular pages too because they tend to be more thought provoking or more actual memory-keeping than had I just scrapped a pretty picture.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My Wish List is heck of long! Love ALL the kits!!
Old 04-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Was just looking at the bingo and trying to work it out, may have to give it a go this month
Old 04-03-2016, 05:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I started with making a wish list - and it was crazy long...then I just kept looking at the kits that I was using often, or the elements that I tended to use the most often from kits - and try to be sure that new kits have those pieces in them too. Though sometimes I just fall in love with a kit and can't help it - those are the ones if I'm not sure I'll use all of the elements/papers in it for many photos/layouts that I try and save to buy when I have a coupon code from bingo challenges.

I try to be sure that I can envision the kit being used with a couple of different types of photos too - even holiday kits with nonholiday kits

But my wish list is still super long
Old 04-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well you can't go wrong - they're all beautiful! I'd buy a few, and then see how you like them before buying more. There's also mini kit freebies by the designers i n the store, so you could try them out that way, too. I have a wish list and add to it every week. I want way more than I can buy! Welcome and happy scrapping!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I can't decide I usually go with what color palettes draw me in. Then I look at the embellishments and see what catches my eye.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

First and foremost, I'm attracted to certain colors. Beyond that, I'll look at my stash and see if I have anything similar. If I decide there's more than one kit I can't live without, and I don't have the $$ to buy them all at once, I'll usually go with which one I think I'll scrap with first (The Bingo challenges help with deciding this) and wish list the others until there's a sale. Good luck! You can't go wrong, whatever you choose!
Old 04-05-2016, 07:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Iook at the theme that i am scrapping.
Or sometimes the colors
Old 04-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I look at the elements and think, "Ok, how many of these am I doing to ACTUALLY use frequently." That helps me cut out a lot of kits that I think are pretty, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty of actually using it there are a lot of pieces that I probably won't use.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I totally use my wishlist! It's huge, but I go through the new releases every week and add the ones that jump out at me I add some as I see los in the gallery that I just have to have the kit for. Then, when it's time to shop, it's already narrowed down for me, and I'll buy based off of either what I want to scrap - like for a certain challenge, or theme, or season... or I'll just buy the prettiest one Even though my wishlist is pretty out of control, it still helps.

I'm not sure how many kits you have, but you'll start to find your favorite colors, or themes or nonthemes to scrap with and that will help.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I usually add them to my wishlist and then after a few months I decide if I really need them or not. Some get weeded from my wishlist, others get placed in my cart while some still sit in my wishlist.

I also look to see if I can scrap with the kit more than once. Will I get my money's worth from it if I buy it? Can I mix it with another kit to extend the life of the purchase?

But I do agree with Brooke---buy them all!!