Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-02-2023, 02:54 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default Organizing Your Stash?

The PGAD helped me restart my digi-scrapping hobby (yay!)
But my stash hasn't been organized in YEARS.
I used to use Photoshop Elements Organizer (like 14 years ago!) -and yes, I spent hours tagging each element and paper etc.
It was AWESOME to be able to search up say a pink bow by any SSD designer and ta-da it would return all the items in my stash that matched the criteria.

I'm sure there are newer products now.
What is everyone using?
Pros/cons?
Old 03-02-2023, 04:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hi, Heather! Funny you should mention organizing your digi-stash ... I'm in the midst of organizing my new kits and templates right now.

My organization scheme has evolved over the years. I started off trying to keyword each and every item, and quickly got overwhelmed. What I've been doing the last five or so years is a good balance between time invested and usability.

I rely on metadata keywords. I import my new supplies into Lightroom (because I like its interface to keywording the best and it allows a hierarchical keyword structure). I add these keywords to every file in the kit: (and for an example, I'll show you what I've done with KCB's new release, "Enjoy Today")
  • designer's name (Kristin Cronin-Barrow)
  • product code (kcroninbarrow-enjoytoday)
  • kit name (kit - Enjoy Today)
  • store (SSD)

Then I take the product preview image(s) and add a keyword for "Preview" and add detailed keywords on only that one image. They include:
  • Colors (white, cream, light blue, medium blue, coral, light pink, gold)
  • Theme (beauty, everyday, joy, affirmations)
  • Textures (wood, velvet)
  • Unique items (rainbow, florals, butterfly, dragonfly, embroidery hoop)

And that's it. I have Lightroom set to save the metadata to the files, and once that's processed, I remove everything except the preview image from Lightroom. I keep all the elements for all the kits in one designer folder - so I have a folder /Sweet Shoppe/Kristin Cronin-Barrow that currently contains 55,492 items.

When I want to search for a kit, I use Windows Explorer and search for keywords - like "preview everyday coral" - and it pulls up just the preview images for every kit I own that I've tagged as "everyday" and that has the color coral in it. Once I choose which kit I want to work with, it's as easy as grabbing its product code and searching kcroninbarrow-enjoytoday and it pulls up every file in the kit.

I like having all my digi-supplies in a single designer folder because it makes it quick for me to find supplies in the same style if I need something that isn't in the kit I'm working with. For instance, say I'm creating a page using "Enjoy Today" but I want to include more flowers in my element clusters. I just go into my Kristin Cronin-Barrow folder and search "preview coral" and it gives me 28 preview images. Then I can grab "Choose Kindness" and I've got more supplies in the same design style.

(Did that make any sense?)

As for finding individual products, I have found the designers do a pretty good job of identifying what each item is in its file name. So if I want a ribbon, I can go into KCB's folder on my drive and search "ribbon" - and I've got 1,000 to choose from. Sometimes I have to search a couple times - like foliage, branch, and leaf are used interchangeably, as are flower, blossom, and bloom - but the time I save not trying to keyword each and every item is magnitudes greater than the time it takes to search two or three times.

So, that's my organization strategy! I'm happy to share my list of keywords if you're interested - just let me know.

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 03-02-2023, 05:15 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

One thing I forgot to mention - since PNG files cannot store metadata keywords (a failing of the file type itself) I opt to convert all my PNG supplies to TIFF. TIF files can embed metadata keywords (as can JPGs, so I don't have to do anything with those).

Some programs make it look like they've added your keywords to a PNG, but what they're really doing is saving them in either a sidecar XMP file or their own native database. I made the decision long ago that I wanted to be "software agnostic" when it came to my supplies, meaning if Lightroom was ever discontinued, I can easily start using another program because my keywords are all saved within the files themselves.

I use Adobe Bridge to quickly filter down to the PNGs and then run a batch export to TIF. It's an extra step, but it's not a big addition of effort and it's worth it (to me).

Hope this helps!

Old 03-02-2023, 07:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Okay well Angie wins the super-organizer award today from me!!!!!!!

I tried the tag everything in Adobe Bridge method. It was more work for me. I don't have the time nor energy to do that.

Since the 2 stores I have majority of my products from have great designers who name their pieces pretty well, I just use my Windows Explorer in whatever folder I want to search in ..and I search "ribbon" or "flower" like Angie stated, sometimes I might have to use "foliage" or another moniker but it's gets me where I'm going.

I have 1 big folder for DIGISCRAP > then each SHOP folder > then DESIGNER > then KIT/COLLECTION
I'm pretty much a 1 kit scrapper and can remember what I've bought, but when I am just perusing my stash. I've done one step here in the last 2 years that I like for me.

As soon as I unzip and put files into the KIT folder I take the product preview and I rename it (underscore) folder so _folder
This makes sure it's at the beginning of the items when I open that kit, AND I can go to Bridge and I will go to the designer or shop folder and I just search _folder - then I can see the previews of the kits and choose from there. I do this in Bridge because I can automatically navigate to that product folder and then I pull from Bridge into Photoshop CC for my layout. (hope that makes sense)

Old 03-02-2023, 09:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use ACDsee to tag everything. I love how I can see all my categories. I’ve been using this method probably for 15 years. I do need to periodically upgrade the software, but I feel like it’s no different that getting a new computer. I've probably had to retag my entire collection maybe 5 times in that amount of time, due to computer upgrades.

I wrote a blog post about it like 8 years ago. https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/i...be-sunday-712/

Looks like my old screenshots are dead, but here's the nice thing about ACDSEE, I really just have a Digital Scrapbook Supply Folder (then Designer, or a big retired designer folder and then the designer) and a Family Photos Folder (those are broken into year and then month). From there I just have to tag the image, it stays in the original folder, but if I click on the category, I can see everything. So I could tag the same kit, photo, etc 20 times if I want, but it'll never leave it's home.

Here are a few screenshots to give you an idea of how I'm setting everything up.

I considered and tried different methods last year when I switched to a Mac and I still ended up going back to ACDsee, even though Mac's version doesn't do as much as the PC version, but I've adapted now.

You can add keywords too, if that's your jam, there is a lot of things you can do with this software that I haven't scratched the surface on. What I love is once I have my basic categories established, I just can unzip my kit, put it in the folder it needs to be in and tag it accordingly. So if I wanted to tag every single piece of that kit, I could, but I tend to be a kit scrap with the exception of alphas, I have those tagged by color as well as some additional greenery and flowers. It's just a click and drag system and I love that.

Last edited by nesser1981; 03-02-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

These are great methods. My stash is not organized at all!
Old 03-02-2023, 10:25 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
I have 1 big folder for DIGISCRAP > then each SHOP folder > then DESIGNER > then KIT/COLLECTION
I'm pretty much a 1 kit scrapper and can remember what I've bought, but when I am just perusing my stash. I've done one step here in the last 2 years that I like for me.
I also store my kits using this type of structure. Where it really comes in handy is if a designer leaves a store and goes to a different one all I have to do is move the designer folder to a folder for the new store. And, yes, I have had to do that when a store completely shut down the end of 2015 and designers went multiple places.

I also am a one kit scrapper for the most part so this works for me. I never tagged individual items. Something I have started doing though is to copy the previews to a specific folder just for previews. Same basic structure with a store folder for each one. But I don't have designer folders there. Instead I rename each preview with a designer code I use for each designer then the kit name, i.e. KCB_A Blue Christmas, KBC_50 States Ohio, SF_STEM etc. Then I tag the preview for the type of kit it is i.e. Christmas, travel, school kit, dog kit etc. I also go one step farther and use the color labels to mark each preview when I have used a kit.

Then when I'm doing a layout for a store that requires 100% of their product I can do a search in the store folder with the keywords I desire. I have 2 designers that I have GB's of templates for. They each have their own folder under the store folder. And, I also color label their previews when I've used the template set. I had set a goal to use all the kits I have ever bought and having the color coding has helped me to get the number of unused kits lowered tremendously! Now I try not to go to those "favorites" that I was always drawn to and I'm trying to think more outside the box on how to use theme kits for other types of layouts.

My last step after unzipping a purchase is to copy the preview to the Previews folder, it is just a part of the process now.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I downloaded a program Bianka had at one time called DigiScrap Catalog, it may be still available on Facebook. I organize my stash by theme and tag them with designers and unique items. The tagging takes a lot of time but I like being able to search for a rabbit or a french fry and find all the kits with them in it.

Oh and don't pay attention to the number of items...I have a kit addiction...LOL I have quite a few in my download folder that need to be added to my stash but I am unzipping.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love seeing all the different ways y'all are organizing your scrap stash! It gives me all sorts of ideas to tweak and refine my process.

Old 03-04-2023, 12:17 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I’m a kit scrapper 99% of the time.
I have an SSD folder and within that, a folder for each designer. Then each kit gets a folder in the designer’s folder.

I copy and paste the preview (I looooove it when designers name a preview file instead of just the folder, makes it easier for me!) in a Kit Previews folder, with sub-folders for Everyday Life, Seasons, Places (sub folders- nature & camping/travel destinations), one for each of my kids, etc.
It’s usually pretty easy to find what I’m looking for.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:31 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
One thing I forgot to mention - since PNG files cannot store metadata keywords (a failing of the file type itself) I opt to convert all my PNG supplies to TIFF. ...
Hope this helps!
WOW Thank you!! Both posts were SUPER helpful. Sounds like we have very similar organizational tendencies.
Such a great idea to tag the Preview with the keywords! I hadn't thought to do that.
Like many others, I do have a file just for Preview jpgs so I can scroll through looking for a kit/look/theme.
I appreciate everyone's feedback and ideas!
Old 03-06-2023, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use nothing but my EHD and folders.

All of my Disney or park kits are by theme in their own 1 folder for Disney (princesses, Adventureland, Space, Harry Potter etc).

Everything else is by theme of kit- birthday, awards, childhood, Easter, Christmas. Some are broken down more, like Travel- desert, hiking, camping, USA, overseas, cruise.

I do have some folders that are divided by designers. Templates- Ponytails Designs, Cindy Schnieder, other, etc. And I have a couple folders for different stores. I just needed something simplified so I know what to find based on theme since I am mostly a 1 kit scrapper (aside from Disney layouts). If I am looking for something specific, I just search that one item in the search bar.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine are saved as store > designer > kit > zipped file and then unzip in that folder, so everything is stored in one folder. Then I copy the preview file and paste into the kit folder so that it will be visible when I preview kits in acdsee or, like Kiana, I put an underscore symbol in front of the preview name so that it will at the top and therefore visible in acdsee when I look at all my folders under a designer category.

I haven't done any tagging in acdsee, if I did it would have to be minimal b/c who has time for that??? I might have to look into it, as Vanessa seems to have a good system. I tried tagging years ago and really messed it up so haven't tried it again for a long time.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
Mine are saved as store > designer > kit > zipped file and then unzip in that folder, so everything is stored in one folder. Then I copy the preview file and paste into the kit folder so that it will be visible when I preview kits in acdsee or, like Kiana, I put an underscore symbol in front of the preview name so that it will at the top and therefore visible in acdsee when I look at all my folders under a designer category.

I haven't done any tagging in acdsee, if I did it would have to be minimal b/c who has time for that??? I might have to look into it, as Vanessa seems to have a good system. I tried tagging years ago and really messed it up so haven't tried it again for a long time.
I keep it very simple. I'm not tagging each paper or element. I completely agree. I tried that system years ago when mix and match everything was the trend and I never could make it work for me.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would rather spend my time scrapping than tagging, so I have a VERY basic tagging scheme that works for me. I'm a kit scrapper most of the time - I rarely venture out of the kit unless there's really just one thing I need or whatever.

My system is to change the folder image to the kit preview. Then tag the folder with the year I got it, the store, and I do tag cards/alphas I can see myself using outside the kit. I label it KIT NAME - DESIGNER NAME.

I then file by theme, not by designer. With my mac I can pull up any of the tags within a theme, so I can find things if I need to for challenges, etc. and know where I got them. I find I use things better this way, and I don't lost things.

Template - I only keep the TIFF tiles, and I rename them to be NAME - DESIGNER 01 (02,03,04 etc). I then tag them with store/year, and file them by photo spot.

All this takes less than 1 minute - between unzipping, renaming, putting the preview as the folder image, and tagging those couple of things. It works for me to keep me organized but I can spend more time scrapping then instead of organizing.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
One thing I forgot to mention - since PNG files cannot store metadata keywords (a failing of the file type itself) I opt to convert all my PNG supplies to TIFF. TIF files can embed metadata keywords (as can JPGs, so I don't have to do anything with those).

Some programs make it look like they've added your keywords to a PNG, but what they're really doing is saving them in either a sidecar XMP file or their own native database. I made the decision long ago that I wanted to be "software agnostic" when it came to my supplies, meaning if Lightroom was ever discontinued, I can easily start using another program because my keywords are all saved within the files themselves.

I use Adobe Bridge to quickly filter down to the PNGs and then run a batch export to TIF. It's an extra step, but it's not a big addition of effort and it's worth it (to me).

Hope this helps!
Hey Angie, I'm really curious about converting PNG to TIF. I stopped tagging because I lost my tags in ACDSee and PSE Organizer. It was so frustrating to have done all that work and because of some glitch, losing my tags.

Any chance you could give a walk-through of how you convert the files?

Thanks!