Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-06-2022, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Neighbors?

Are your neighbors wonderful? Get along great? Throw block parties? Some of your best friends? Or are they more like mine? The ones across the street have lived here before we did, they are wonderful! They are the eyes and ears of the neighborhood (it's great, I always see them looking out their window). The neighbors to our North are great! They will get packages or return packages (our mailman switches constantly and doesn't always get our address right) for and to us. The rest of the neighbors pretty much keep to themselves, we have nicknames for some (cat house, pretty yard, loud kids, bus stop house etc). But the neighbors to the South....they are the problem children!

They moved in back in Nov, we have no idea HOW many people actually live there (there can be up to 10 teens, 8 kids, 1 toddler and sometimes...sometimes a "mom") Half the time the people aren't the same. The police have been called numerous times, the kids do not respect what they own and their front and back yards show it (thankfully our backyards are divided by a privacy fence). I have called the police on them before (but the last one was back around 4th of July when they were throwing fireworks into people's yards, towards their cars). But the police have been showing up more and more. Which means other neighbors are the ones calling, sick of all that's going on with them!

Today, 7 police cars, 1 unmarked all came sirens on racing to their house! They were there for a good 30 min trying to talk one of the teen girls down (the mom pulled by with her blinker on, and kept on going). The only good thing about this....we overheard that they may be moving! They threw a TON of furniture out to the curb this weekend. As much as we try to be good neighbors, they have made it very hard from the very first week they have lived here! Praying our next neighbors are 110% better!
Old 09-06-2022, 05:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

For the most part, our neighbors are pretty great. We do have a teenager that lives a couple of houses down that deals drugs out of his house. Sometimes he will do it right across from our house. He has been in and out of juvenile detention. His parents adopted him when he was young and they've always let him do whatever he wants. I can remember him walking the neighborhood alone as a child/toddler. It's really sad how he has been failed. We try to be understanding, however, when he is dealing in front of our house it's kind of difficult.

Hopefully they move and you'll get some better neighbors!

Old 09-06-2022, 06:15 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

For the most part the people in my neighborhood are decent. This neighborhood is actually an area that is highly desirable, very family oriented. There is one house that is a rental and the owners have rented it to several auto mechanic students at a local tech school. They do like to drive their loud vehicles up and down the streets to check out their work. That can be annoying. But for the most part, my neighbors are pretty good. Friendly but not in your face all the time.

When I walk the dog, everyone is very friendly. My neighbor across the street is very helpful towards me. He does a lot of yard work for me (I do pay him) and some handyman type of stuff. He also does the same for my cousin that lives around the corner. She and I are both older and single so do appreciate the help. Just today he mowed the lawn and planted grass after moving some rocks from an area that used to have a small tree. It died and he took it down in May.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We love, love our neighborhood. We live in a small gated community and our street in the best one. Directly next door is a couple with kids but they are super busy and we rarely see them but they keep an eye on things if we need help or out of town. On the other side is an older couple that also help keep an eye on things. Two houses up we have a newish family (moved in 2 years ago). They have a little boy in 1st grade. Across the street is a house with an 8th grade girl and 3 grade boy. We have another house at the bottom of the hill that has a boy and a girl, then across from them is a family with 4 kids. In between we have older couples that are super nice, we even ran into one of them while in Denver airport. They were flying back to Texas, we were going to VA. Our neighborhood has a swim team which has promoted friendships and getting to know each other. When the weather is cooler we will have 9 or more kids running the street. We live in a double cul-de-sacthe main street curves up to our cul-de-sac. The kids LOVE playing out there. We have some families from neighboring streets come over...it is one big block party. We have made friends with families all through the neighborhood and will exchange clothes as kids grow out of them, share desserts or just hang out and have some drinks. Yesterday we got a text for cake so the kids took off to celebrate a birthday...The ladies on the street have a group text going if we need anything...The boys got jealous and one of them started a guys chat too. LOL
Halloween is usually a group of 15 or more going door to door. It is awesome to live in a neighborhood where you know most of the people and can ask for help if needed.

This layout is one of the tribes of mamas that rallied around a family that was going through breast cancer. She and her family decided to move closer to family so we had a see ya later party.

This was neighbors directly beside us. He would pay the kids a quarter if they would find beetles to feed the hedgehog. He would bring it out and tell them all about hedgehogs. It was a fun learning experience. This year they paid my youngest(with my supervision) to feed their cats while they were away on vacation

The kids got creative during C0V1D and found ways to play with each other. They were together so much they started to bicker like siblings. LOL

I am sorry yours has given you trouble. Hopefully they are on the way out and you get some nice quiet neighbors.
I see people on the neighborhood chats getting angry over things like the ice cream truck parks in front of their house and people are all over their yard. Ummm...go out and enjoy the company. Get to know the people around you and make friends. We esp after C0v1d have become a hermit society. My kids were dragging the new kid (who was 4 at the time) out into the streets on day one and this was the peak covid. It helps the parents are pretty chill! Our rules were at first were stay arms length away and don't share toys...after a couple of months it became...yes go outside and play! LOL
Old 09-06-2022, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dawn, I'm sorry your neighbors are like that. At least you have some nice ones. We only have one close neighbor (we are surrounded by cornfields mostly!) and they are not very friendly. They are pretty young, in their early 20s, are recently married, and have two little ones in diapers. They are just so snotty and just annoying. We share a driveway and they (and their family that comes to visit) will park right in the middle so you can't even get around them. They give us the rudest looks whenever we are outside. She will literally be walking up the sidewalk as I'm walking down and won't even say anything. I'm always like "HI!" and barely responds. Just so darn RUDE. And then, she does really annoying things like texts our landlord and tells him she just NEEDS to use our hose and he texts me about it rather than her just asking me, only to use it for 5 minutes to fill a teeny tiny pool that she let her kid sit in for a few minutes when she could have just filled a bucket in her house and dumped it in! They never even bring their two little boys outside for more than 5 minutes. We used to share the huge yard with the family that lived there before, but she has a fit if my kids go in 'her side' of the yard. She actually spray-painted a line in our front yard and told my son, not to mow past the line! I really can't stand them. My husband recently found one of their white trash bags full of diapers in our trash can (we don't use white bags.) He isn't so bad, but he very rarely comes out of the house except to walk to his truck. It's a shame because my kids are old enough that they could babysit or mow for her, but they are just jerks. It would be nice to have someone friendly living there again! I guess I should be glad they aren't doing anything illegal, but would it kill them to not be such jerks?!
Old 09-06-2022, 11:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry you are having problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed they move and you get better neighbors. Everyone around here is pretty chill. Friendly and/or keeps to themselves. I don't hear sirens, so I'm assuming everything is good.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:00 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We live in apartment, so the immediate neighbour to us is just the family living the opposite door to us. Here, we mostly keep to ourselves, so there's been very little interactions with them. They are nice and keep the noise level bearable.

Our neighbour upstairs, though, can be pretty annoying. We can hear them stomping loudly at night... *sigh*
Old 09-07-2022, 07:45 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I live in a neighborhood that is friendly for the most part. There is a family that are jerks and were causing issues a lot before the police visited them with a friendly warning.

When I walk the dog, I say hello to everyone and they say hello back, we wave from the cars, etc., but that is it for me.

To be honest, that is about as friendly as I want to get with the neighbors. Having come from a small community of tightly packed in homes, when I moved here and didn't have a neighbor up in my business, I loved it and decided to keep it that way.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry some of you have such difficult neighbors! Ours are all fine. We rarely see them and probably wouldn't even recognize them, but none of them are problematic. When my kids were young and played outside a lot, they had neighborhood friends whose families we got to know somewhat. Most of those families have left, and the families who moved in had younger kids or no kids so we never got to know them. There are also a few couples who have been here longer than we have (17 years) and whose kids are all grown and moved out. Those 3 households are always friendly on the rare occasion that we run into them outside.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:17 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ugh... thats stinks... so sorry you have to deal with that.

At our old house, we had a few crappy neighbors... including a couple brothers that dealt drugs and had crazy parties with people fighting in the street in the middle of the night.

Then we moved here... we love our neighborhood. Most are friendly, lots to say hello to when I walk. When we moved here, the first few years we had block parties. Most of our immediate neighbors are older with kids grown n long moved out. When we moved her 18 years ago, there were lots of kids the same age as our older girls. My third daughter has complained about not having anyone her age. My son has 4 boys his age. It was fun to watch them all grown up together.

My back yard neighbor is now one of our best friends. Their son was mine from the time he was 5 months old and now he's 10. Our families have become so close, we even vacation and party together, we just hop the fence. (I'm gonna need a gate soon!! Getting too old for climbing fences...lol)

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-07-2022, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
For the most part, our neighbors are pretty great. We do have a teenager that lives a couple of houses down that deals drugs out of his house. Sometimes he will do it right across from our house. He has been in and out of juvenile detention. His parents adopted him when he was young and they've always let him do whatever he wants. I can remember him walking the neighborhood alone as a child/toddler. It's really sad how he has been failed. We try to be understanding, however, when he is dealing in front of our house it's kind of difficult.

Hopefully they move and you'll get some better neighbors!
What a sad situation. I grew up in a small town, and the whole drug dealing next door is new-ish to me! But we believe it may be happening with them! Praying they move and we get better neighbors!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
For the most part the people in my neighborhood are decent. This neighborhood is actually an area that is highly desirable, very family oriented. There is one house that is a rental and the owners have rented it to several auto mechanic students at a local tech school. They do like to drive their loud vehicles up and down the streets to check out their work. That can be annoying. But for the most part, my neighbors are pretty good. Friendly but not in your face all the time.

When I walk the dog, everyone is very friendly. My neighbor across the street is very helpful towards me. He does a lot of yard work for me (I do pay him) and some handyman type of stuff. He also does the same for my cousin that lives around the corner. She and I are both older and single so do appreciate the help. Just today he mowed the lawn and planted grass after moving some rocks from an area that used to have a small tree. It died and he took it down in May.
That's so neat that he helps you out with yard work or handyman stuff! My dad is an 85 year old widow still living in the house I grew up in (with 12 acres of land) and his neighbor is wonderful- checking on him, helping him out, snowblowing the driveway etc. We've always tried to be nice to those around us, even helping elderly who have lived in the area but since moved away.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
We love, love our neighborhood. We live in a small gated community and our street in the best one. Directly next door is a couple with kids but they are super busy and we rarely see them but they keep an eye on things if we need help or out of town. On the other side is an older couple that also help keep an eye on things. Two houses up we have a newish family (moved in 2 years ago). They have a little boy in 1st grade. Across the street is a house with an 8th grade girl and 3 grade boy. We have another house at the bottom of the hill that has a boy and a girl, then across from them is a family with 4 kids. In between we have older couples that are super nice, we even ran into one of them while in Denver airport. They were flying back to Texas, we were going to VA. Our neighborhood has a swim team which has promoted friendships and getting to know each other. When the weather is cooler we will have 9 or more kids running the street. We live in a double cul-de-sacthe main street curves up to our cul-de-sac. The kids LOVE playing out there. We have some families from neighboring streets come over...it is one big block party. We have made friends with families all through the neighborhood and will exchange clothes as kids grow out of them, share desserts or just hang out and have some drinks. Yesterday we got a text for cake so the kids took off to celebrate a birthday...The ladies on the street have a group text going if we need anything...The boys got jealous and one of them started a guys chat too. LOL
Halloween is usually a group of 15 or more going door to door. It is awesome to live in a neighborhood where you know most of the people and can ask for help if needed.

This layout is one of the tribes of mamas that rallied around a family that was going through breast cancer. She and her family decided to move closer to family so we had a see ya later party.

This was neighbors directly beside us. He would pay the kids a quarter if they would find beetles to feed the hedgehog. He would bring it out and tell them all about hedgehogs. It was a fun learning experience. This year they paid my youngest(with my supervision) to feed their cats while they were away on vacation

The kids got creative during C0V1D and found ways to play with each other. They were together so much they started to bicker like siblings. LOL

I am sorry yours has given you trouble. Hopefully they are on the way out and you get some nice quiet neighbors.
I see people on the neighborhood chats getting angry over things like the ice cream truck parks in front of their house and people are all over their yard. Ummm...go out and enjoy the company. Get to know the people around you and make friends. We esp after C0v1d have become a hermit society. My kids were dragging the new kid (who was 4 at the time) out into the streets on day one and this was the peak covid. It helps the parents are pretty chill! Our rules were at first were stay arms length away and don't share toys...after a couple of months it became...yes go outside and play! LOL
I LOVE all the fun neighborhood memories you have scrapped! That's so great that you all have so much fun together! Our neighborhood is a huge age gap all over. Single people, no kids, grown kids, little kids. My girls had a couple friends a few streets over, and one they hung out with in High School some. I'm thankful for that!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabi View Post
Dawn, I'm sorry your neighbors are like that. At least you have some nice ones. We only have one close neighbor (we are surrounded by cornfields mostly!) and they are not very friendly. They are pretty young, in their early 20s, are recently married, and have two little ones in diapers. They are just so snotty and just annoying. We share a driveway and they (and their family that comes to visit) will park right in the middle so you can't even get around them. They give us the rudest looks whenever we are outside. She will literally be walking up the sidewalk as I'm walking down and won't even say anything. I'm always like "HI!" and barely responds. Just so darn RUDE. And then, she does really annoying things like texts our landlord and tells him she just NEEDS to use our hose and he texts me about it rather than her just asking me, only to use it for 5 minutes to fill a teeny tiny pool that she let her kid sit in for a few minutes when she could have just filled a bucket in her house and dumped it in! They never even bring their two little boys outside for more than 5 minutes. We used to share the huge yard with the family that lived there before, but she has a fit if my kids go in 'her side' of the yard. She actually spray-painted a line in our front yard and told my son, not to mow past the line! I really can't stand them. My husband recently found one of their white trash bags full of diapers in our trash can (we don't use white bags.) He isn't so bad, but he very rarely comes out of the house except to walk to his truck. It's a shame because my kids are old enough that they could babysit or mow for her, but they are just jerks. It would be nice to have someone friendly living there again! I guess I should be glad they aren't doing anything illegal, but would it kill them to not be such jerks?!
I'm sorry they aren't nicer! Especially since you have to have such close contact with them almost daily! Who knows with people, some just stay to themselves. I agree an occassional HI isn't going to hurt anything though! Praying they open up more and become more friendly towards you!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I'm sorry you are having problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed they move and you get better neighbors. Everyone around here is pretty chill. Friendly and/or keeps to themselves. I don't hear sirens, so I'm assuming everything is good.
LOL! You're cute! The police have shown up with no sirens too, so you never know!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
We live in apartment, so the immediate neighbour to us is just the family living the opposite door to us. Here, we mostly keep to ourselves, so there's been very little interactions with them. They are nice and keep the noise level bearable.

Our neighbour upstairs, though, can be pretty annoying. We can hear them stomping loudly at night... *sigh*
Apartment living is another thing entirely! When we were 1st married we had a drummer who lived upstairs. He apparently thought the best time to practice was when we were trying to sleep! You should buy the upstairs neighbors a nice thick rug for Christmas!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I live in a neighborhood that is friendly for the most part. There is a family that are jerks and were causing issues a lot before the police visited them with a friendly warning.

When I walk the dog, I say hello to everyone and they say hello back, we wave from the cars, etc., but that is it for me.

To be honest, that is about as friendly as I want to get with the neighbors. Having come from a small community of tightly packed in homes, when I moved here and didn't have a neighbor up in my business, I loved it and decided to keep it that way.
My experience was the opposite. I grew up with 1 neighbor, and I lived on 12 acres of land. We got zero trick or treaters because we were out in the Country. Now we live with a driveway seperating us and our next door neighbors on both sides. I still remember when my daughter was a baby, a nice little grandma lady came by asking if she could help me out because she could hear her crying...she lived 2 houses down! I felt so badly and tried to keep the "noise" down more after that!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I'm sorry some of you have such difficult neighbors! Ours are all fine. We rarely see them and probably wouldn't even recognize them, but none of them are problematic. When my kids were young and played outside a lot, they had neighborhood friends whose families we got to know somewhat. Most of those families have left, and the families who moved in had younger kids or no kids so we never got to know them. There are also a few couples who have been here longer than we have (17 years) and whose kids are all grown and moved out. Those 3 households are always friendly on the rare occasion that we run into them outside.
Thank you! I just want a peaceful, quiet-ish neighborhood! Maybe someday!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
Ugh... thats stinks... so sorry you have to deal with that.

At our old house, we had a few crappy neighbors... including a couple brothers that dealt drugs and had crazy parties with people fighting in the street in the middle of the night.

Then we moved here... we love our neighborhood. Most are friendly, lots to say hello to when I walk. When we moved here, the first few years we had block parties. Most of our immediate neighbors are older with kids grown n long moved out. When we moved her 18 years ago, there were lots of kids the same age as our older girls. My third daughter has complained about not having anyone her age. My son has 4 boys his age. It was fun to watch them all grown up together.

My back yard neighbor is now one of our best friends. Their son was mine from the time he was 5 months old and now he's 10. Our families have become so close, we even vacation and party together, we just hop the fence. (I'm gonna need a gate soon!! Getting too old for climbing fences...lol)
Thanks! We had a couple neighbors who the girls "grew up with", and that was fun. But they have since moved away! How fun that your backyard neighbor is one of your best friends! I agree, you need a gate! Climbing fences is never fun (unless you are like a 10 year old boy!)
Old 09-07-2022, 12:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Our old neighborhood was questionable (potential drug house, shootings, police patrols, etc.) but when I bought our house last summer, we moved to a better part of town. We live on a relatively quiet section (as it deadends at the river just south of us) of a busy road with a subdivision across the street from us.

We have a huge 1.1 acre lot (technically two lots)with the road to our west and a parking lot for a business to our east. Our neighbor to the north is a single woman who works odd hours and rarely has anyone over. Our neighbor to the south is also a single woman, although older, who rarely leaves the house but frequently has one particular person visit during the week. I feel like she may have an elderly/housebound relative living with her, and the person who visits is a nurse but I don't know for sure.

We do have neighbors a couple houses over who like to play music at night but we don't have any ongoing issues. As someone who works from home, I spend all but a couple hours a day at the house so I am very appreciative of where we live.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:52 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh! Some of you have such crazy stories! I'm so sorry about the craziness next to you Dawn. It sounds like a TV show! I sure hope for your sake they are indeed moving out!

I am going to count myself lucky. We moved into our house 19+ years ago and have mostly the same neighbors that whole time. The couple right next door to us were the last to move in and that was over 10 years ago and we like all of our neighbors. I think the worst thing we've ever had happen was the old guy that lives next to our bedrooms used to do his snowblowing last at night after my little kiddos were in bed and it freaked them out. We had to ask him to do it before 8:00pm if possible. He was really nice about it.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Um, your neighbours sound like a lot of work!!!!

Our neighbours are so great when we needed to upgrade the house we only moved 9 houses away lol We live in one of those rare areas where the kids all go outside to play with each other and take care of each other (and there's a ton of them), and you say hi when people walk past. Driveway beers often turns into driveway drunk (oops) 6 hours later, with whoever seems to turn up. We are blessed with truly great neighbours!

Old 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have to say too, our best friends live across the road from our old house - we are even guardians to their kids if something happens to them (despite them having 7 siblings between the 2 of them).

Old 09-09-2022, 09:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We love our neighbors. A group of us regularly get together and have potlucks and bonfires and book club meetings. If someone needs to borrow something or help with the kids or watch a pet while on vacation, it's never a big deal, someone will step up. Neither my husband nor I are from here so having neighbors that are like family is perfect. We are very lucky. The couple of families that have moved out of the area in the nearly decade I have lived here are still friends and still help out often.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So Thankful many of you have wonderful neighborhood relationships! We are really hoping they move out. If they don't move out by the end of this month, we are considering putting our house up for Sale. Not something we really were planning to do yet, but they are making it really hard.

Last week Thurs, my husband got up to go to work (he goes in around 1-2am). I wake up to lock the door behind him. He got into the van, then got out leaving the door open and was looking at the car. (we had 2 tire issues earlier in the week- 1 had a leak and one had a cut. Lots of construction going on in our State, so we chalked it up to that). He came back to the house to tell me the car had been egged. There were 2 or 3 spots. He ended up cleaning it up at work.

Came home the next morning around 10-11am. My youngest was doing her schooling in the Living Room (it looks out on the front yard and the driveway). I was downstairs and my husband was in the Living Room. I hear the front door burst open and yelling. I go upstairs and find out the neighbor boy threw 2 eggs at our van, in the daylight, with my husband and daughter hearing and seeing him as well as our good neighbors across the street seeing him do it! My husband went out to yell at him and tell him to clean it up. (why they weren't in school- no clue). My husband also said he wanted to talk to their "mom". The girl called the mom on her phone and she barely said 2 words to my husband, just wanted to talk to her kids again. The boy did come out for a little bit and wiped off the egg. It didn't last long before he was off riding his bike around the neighborhood.

They seem to have no respect for themselves or others- property or selves!