Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default If someone posted this on your layout...

If one of your family members posted something critical on your layout on facebook and then one of their in-laws posted something that could be construed as rude (really actually was rude IMO) would you think it childish to block that persons in-law and to tell your family member their comment hurt your feelings? The layout in question I did like but after looking at it I notice the editing on the photo was a little overdone trying to get the shadows off the faces from one of them wearing a baseball hat and it being taken in bright light. So I failed...I realize this. But wouldnt it have been better to privately say something or just not say anything for that matter? is it just me that it is not ok to openly criticize someones layout or photo? Even if it is a family member who said it? Saying eww to a layout along with a comment about the photo edit....rude yes or no? (oh it wasnt here but on facebook and the layout was already deleted). Im probably just going to re-do it and I guess just not try so hard to get rid of the shadows on the persons face. And btw it did not appear to be that bad when I made the layout. I did not notice it until I uploaded it on facebook.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Seriously?? Someone said EWW to one of your layouts & said the photo-edit was ugly??

HECK YES I would block them! I would probably send along a message about how most people know the rule about not saying anything if they can't say something nice!

I'm sorry that happened to you Jessica! I'm sure it wasn't even bad. Some people just have to make others miserable to feel good about themselves!!

Huge fan of:

Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Being rude is being rude period. People post bad pictures on facebook all the time. Calling them out is ridiculous.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade View Post
Seriously?? Someone said EWW to one of your layouts & said the photo-edit was ugly??

HECK YES I would block them! I would probably send along a message about how most people know the rule about not saying anything if they can't say something nice!

I'm sorry that happened to you Jessica! I'm sure it wasn't even bad. Some people just have to make others miserable to feel good about themselves!!
Exactly what she said! That is totally uncalled for and rude of them to make a comment. BLOCK em for sure.

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I agree that it was rude. If they had a problem with your photo editing to the point where they felt they needed to say something to you about it (which...I don't really understand WHY someone would feel that way) they could have been a) much more tactful and b) much more private. I am sorry that you were treated that way, Jessica. I'm sure the layout is beautiful!

But I don't think you're wrong to want to block them as they obviously aren't looking for positives (as they could have found a billion positives in your pages, they are beautiful, Jessica!)

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I always tell my kids... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all! Sad that adults don't always monitor themselves as they should! The quality of the photo, layout, etc. is irrelevant - it's plain rude to make such a comment... esp. if you weren't asking for constructive criticism. If you are comfortable letting your family member know it hurt your feelings, I would go ahead. I wouldn't think twice about blocking someone either.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I totally would of done the same thing (blocking them that is). I think rude is just rude. And like it was mentioned before..that person could of - no - should of politely said something privately.. or better yet - nothing at all and definitely not for all to see/comment on. Sorry you had to deal with that but you did the right thing by blocking them...you don't need their "misery loves company" attitude on you page anyways.

http://kristibigelow.blogspot.com
Guesting in 2013 for Lynne-Marie, Traci Reed & Victoria Feemster
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

totally rude!!!

Block whoever you want. You can also restrict them so they don't get your posts in their news feed if you don't want to block them.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

and another thing... I think you do good work, I've commented on your pages in the gallery before so keep up the good work!

http://kristibigelow.blogspot.com
Guesting in 2013 for Lynne-Marie, Traci Reed & Victoria Feemster
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

That's crazy. I can't even believe someone would get on your case for photo editing. Really?!! I have a friend on Facebook who posts pictures all the time which she has processed in a way that I don't like (at all) but I can't imagine ever mentioning it. Because, duh. She obviously thinks it looks nice. And they're her pictures. And if that's how she wants them it's no one else's business.

I absolutely do not think a family member should be criticizing you on Facebook for your layouts (which are good) or your photo editing which I haven't seen on the picture you may have realized you could do better on. You can edit your pictures any way you want because it's your hobby and anyone who doesn't like it can open Photoshop and make their own layout.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well. I don't think that what they did was OK. Why on Facebook, i.e. publicly? And why at all? You didn't ask for an opinion, so why give it to you in such a nasty way?

It would be different if it was someone you tend to talk about your layouts and ask for their opinion. Me and Zora both do scrapbooking / photo editing, and we are honest to each other about it. If one doesn't like something, she says so (mostly if the other asks for an honest opinion), but explains WHY. And both of us always point out that this is only a subjective view and very often, after having discussed it, we come to the point where we accept that the original concept was, after all, for the better (these thing are SO subjective, aren't they - and there is no real truth in them, just a point of view). But this is something between friends and it doesn't take place publicly!

I'm actually used to people saying the truth about what I do rather than saying only nice things, but it totally depends on WHO says it and under which circumstances. And in front of who!

That said, I still think saying "eeeeew" at Facebook is absolutely rude and I'd be just as angry about it as you are. And if you block them, it only serves them right! You are not obliged to listen to other people's venom.

Last edited by adrianka; 10-05-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

thanks guys...it isnt the first time someone else has said something extremely rude to me simply because someone I tagged was on their friends list. I guess its kinda like people think they can say whatever they want because it is online and they do not think that it might hurt someone else. One of digi-scrapping friends has suggested changes on things Ive done as have family members but not made it seem like what I did was horrible.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There is definitely a difference between constructive criticism and plain venomous remarks that will hurt the person that they are addressed to. But constructive criticism should only come from people who understand what they're talking about and - most importantly - from people who know that YOU are interested in such opinions from them. Unasked-for, offensive views shouldn't come from anyone and shouldn't be uttered publicly (not even privately, of course)! I mean, such people obviously have a problem of sorts and try to vent it on you, so avoiding them is the best strategy for you.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Sorry that happened, Jessica! Suggestion... don't tag people. Or, keep your pages off your personal Facebook page... just upload them to the galleries where people understand.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
it isnt the first time someone else has said something extremely rude to me simply because someone I tagged was on their friends list
That's terrible. I don't know why people have to be like that.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'd have to see the exact comment and context.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think in the future I will just make the photos and layouts I post on facebook visible to MY family and friends without tagging anyone. That way nobody can comment who is not in my friends list and it wont be an issue anymore. You would think being an adult that you could control yourself in making a rude/mean comment on something someone posted but I guess not everyone is capable of that.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Sorry Jessica that is a pretty rude thing to do to anyone. I always try to keep my photos marked for "friends" only not "friends of friends" That way other people that I am not friends with can't see what I don't want them to see.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Sorry to hear this happened to you. This is the reason why some of the pages and photos I post are only visible to my friend list. Some people think they are being helpful when they are not.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Some people are just bullies. Plain and simple. Funny enough, many of those same people would never have the guts to say "ewwwwwwwww" to your face, they can only feel 'tough enough' to say such rude things when they can hide behind a screen! They feel even tougher when they think they have an audience to be a jerk in front of. Don't even give any second thought to jerks like this, block them and move forward.

One thing I always have to remind MYSELF of is that scrapbooking is for ME.. for MY family.. and so long as *I* like my pages that is all *I* care about! Quite honestly, Im not even sure I care if my FAMILY likes my pages.... I scrap for ME... I enjoy doing it for me and for them, and when Im dead and gone, it will be nice if they do enjoy the pages (which they do already so far... ) but if not, then oh well, at least I left behind stories and photos. I had to get over the hurdle long ago about worrying if others here online like my pages or not or if they are "good enough".. if they "measure up", etc.... eventually, I had to ask myself if I am scrapping for you all or if I am scrapping for me.... and I know my answer. So Jessica, if this person isn't even family, let a lone a friend of yours, don't worry about their jerky comments.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is just not nice. You should be able to log onto FB and not get negativity heaped on you, kwim? Block them! I think there is a setting when you share that only Friends can comment, not friends of friends. I may be wrong as FB changes things all the time. ((hugs)) I hate mean people. They just need to grow up and learn some manners!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I had someone on my friends list pretty much trash digi scrapbooking on my scrapping album. I was tempted to delete the comment, but she just looks foolish so I kept it up there.... that was more satisfying then anything else. Instead of saying "nice job, not for me though" I got a "you DIGITAL scrapbook? That's a big no-no for me" and on the actual album "sorry, peeked NO interested" It wasn't what she said as much as the tone I read into it. I had a few friends comment to me about it privately but I just left it up. I'm all about constructive criticism - I'm in a facebook group when I can totally count on one member to tell me exactly how she feels about my layouts, but I'm a better scrapper for it and she does it constructively... that I can deal with, but rude gets to me too. I've had mostly positive repsonses from friends... a few don't care for digital scrapbooking in general, but are fans of any sort of crafting so although its not what they'd choose for themselves they still appreciate the craft - but I've digressed big time in this post
Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am pretty much over it. I decided I would not tag anyone but my husband or my son because they both are basically friends with everyone I am. My son never uses facebook and my husband rarely does. So the rest of my friends and family will see my layouts if they happen to show on their wall or in the galleries and thats it. I liked tagging everyone who was in the layout or who would be interested in seeing the layouts but if it means that I will have to deal with rude people it just is not worth it.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

yeah I've stopped tagging people in layouts with the exception of a few people because many don't really care and although that doesn't bug me, I'm always slightly disappointed when I've worked hard on a layout, posted it and nobody comments... its an ego thing more than anything else. If I don't tag it that I can just tell myself that nobody saw it.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know if I'd block them, but I would definitely delete their comment and probably let them know what they said was a bit harsh. Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this. Hugs!!