Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm
Default Printing ?? for hybrid projects...

I really love the look of the actual photos (matte finish) for my hybrid stuff.... is that what everyone else does? or are you doing on cardstock at home?

also wondering if you guys use real photos do you use the mod podge over the top of them too or just the cardstock?

did a few pages of the mini layered album....

did them quickly this morning (super easy) might do a test print here at work (much much better printer...) just checking to see what was everyone else's favorite way of printing and glueing....

are you tracing w/ the exacto knife to cut our or are you just cutting off the printed photo lines ???
Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I'm hoping to do this album this weekend! Looks awesome so far.

As for printing, I really like a matte finish as well. I found a package of HP Satin finish paper in a box from college, and I'm LOVING it for printing hybrid stuff on. I haven't done much sealing, but I have a few spray sealers I want to try. Mod podge was ok for some plaques I made for friends, but I want a different look for this album.

As for cutting, I'll probably cut it out as close as I can with scissors, and then glue it on and sand the rest of the edges off. I LOVE distressed edges.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't done any of the ones from here before, but in all my attempts at hybrid/altered stuff, I print them on a nice soft-gloss photo paper and adhere with a strong glue (I've tried just using photo mounting squares, but the texture of the photo paper back makes it not stick good enough). Some sort of liquid glue would probably be your best bet - Tombow or (if you're careful) ModPodge...I think Making Memories makes a really good liquid glue as well.

As for trimmiming, I always cut out the basic shape first with a trimmer or scissors (depending on if it's square or shaped, obviously)...and then adhere my chipboard to one side, trim with an exacto knife, punch holes with my Crop-A-Dile (though any hole punch will do - Making Memories again has a good one but it's loud...I think Karen Foster makes a good quiet one, though Crop-A-Dile is my favorite by far). Then I'll do the other side of the chipboard and repeat.

ETA: The soft-gloss photo paper gives your photos/paper a really nice POP but they're not super glossy...all my attempts at printing on matte paper, it comes out dull and if I am going to print on matte paper, I just use white cardstock that I buy from Michael's for cheap - it's about the same quality.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:54 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
As for cutting, I'll probably cut it out as close as I can with scissors, and then glue it on and sand the rest of the edges off. I LOVE distressed edges.
this is what I planned on doing too...sanding the edges....

spray sealer....that is what I'm going to try!!!
I love the modge for the gluing them down.....but worried about it being "too thick" of a sealer on top!!! But really want to do something becuase I want the kids handling the books!!! =) =)
Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I used Canon's Matte Photo Paper... look for it or something similar... it has a weight of 45 pounds. That heaviness is essential. It looked beautiful. Then like Col said, I cut on the edge with scissors. I adhered with a Xyron Cheeta 2" and sanded the edges. I was so pleased with how mine looked!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebee70 View Post
I used Canon's Matte Photo Paper... look for it or something similar... it has a weight of 45 pounds. That heaviness is essential. It looked beautiful. Then like Col said, I cut on the edge with scissors. I adhered with a Xyron Cheeta 2" and sanded the edges. I was so pleased with how mine looked!
Ditto what Julie said! Except I inked my edges.
I have a canon printer and I love the matte photo paper!

Penny
Old 03-27-2008, 01:25 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Springmann View Post
Ditto what Julie said! Except I inked my edges.
I have a canon printer and I love the matte photo paper!
I'm hoping to get to the store today to get some ink I wanted to ink mine before but ran out of time! Your wedding album looked so GORGEOUS with the inked edges!!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Depending on the type of project I have a couple of types of paper I print on at home - Staples Photo Supreme Double Sided Matte photo paper (most projects I use this), Kodak Soft Gloss photo paper, plain white cardstock and I also have some leftover Epson specialty inkjet paper that I use for treat bag toppers and stuff like that since they usually just end up in the trash at some point!

For adhesive I mostly use Mod Podge, but I also have one of the Xyron Cheetah's. I bought some Krylon spray sealer also but haven't used it on anything yet. I also cut with either scissors or a paper trimmer or circle cutter (depending on the shape of the pages) and then sand the edges with a sanding block once I have them adhered to the chipboard.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have loved my results so far, and I have been having mine printed at Costco. I setup a 12x18 blank canvas and pasted my finished pages on it. (some projects require 2 12x18 pages.) I choose thier lustre finish. I just cut out the individual pages and stick to the to the chipboard, then I use my exacto knife to get a really close cut. I have an ancient Xyron 900 (its huge!) and it does a great job basically turning my pages into stickers. Once I am done cutting and happy with the fit, I use a sanding block and sand and ink the edges. It looks great and helps hide any imperfections, and believe me, I have plenty!

~ Dani
Old 03-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Soft gloss printer paper is I think the equivalent of "lustre" paper in print shops.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

yeah love reading all the responses...

glad to hear that you like the costco lustre...that is what I normally like too...
Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the Staples Photo Supreme Double Sided Matte photo paper and I also have the single sided.

For a few other projects I have printed at Walgreen or my local Staples (color on glossy) as well
Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Question on the Modge Podge and Krylon seal...I have both at home but haven't used them on anything I've printed with my inkjet printer.

1) Do they make the ink run? I imagine Modge Podge would? No?

2) Is Krylon acid free? I don't think the one I have at home is but perhaps it's available in acid-free?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I've used modpodge over luster finish and matte paper that I printed on my inkjet printer. There was no running of inks. Let your photos dry over night if possible to let the ink set. I put the modpodge on very lightly with a small foam roller that I found at walmart and I love the texture it gives the page after sealer dries.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mod Podge shouldn't make your ink run since it's an adhesive and goes on the back of your pages...EXCEPT if you apply too much and it blobs out the side onto something, then you'll have a problem.

As for the Krylon spray, I'm not sure if it's acid free or not, but thankfully what we do is digital and replaceable. The acid free thing is mostly a concern for paper scrappers with photos that they can't just reprint. Besides that, much chipboard is not acid free.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I think she meant when using mod podge as a sealer Bree.

Like digi-gee said, if you let your stuff dry overnight, you should be good.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, hehe...yeah, I don't recommend ModPodge as sealer...I tried it once and just made a really big mess. Your paper has to be REALLY dry (like let it sit there for a week) and you have to apply just the right amount...not my thing. I'd go with a spray on sealer like Krylon.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

I also use the Staples Photo Supreme Double Sided Matte, love the look of it. I couldn't find the xyron cheetah, I have a 5" xyron which was too small for some of the albums, so I used Scrapbook Adhesives EZ Runner and it worked great.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyscrap View Post
Besides that, much chipboard is not acid free.
Haha - true. I'm originally a paper scrapper.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was too, Mikkel...though I was never any good at it! LOL!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyscrap View Post
I was too, Mikkel...though I was never any good at it! LOL!
Haha - we're always our toughest critics! I'm sure you were AMAZING at it! You just didn't know it, maybe? I love how hybrid's been a wonderful blending of the 2 for me!