Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Sports -- love 'em or hate 'em?

I'm feeling chatty.

How do you feel about sports? What's your favorite?

I grew up in a not particularly sporty family. My parents must have watched football when I was a kid and they took us to a couple of Kansas City Chiefs games when I was a young teen, but I don't remember anything else. I played softball as a child but that was because that's what you did in my small town. I was awful.

I still don't like football. I mostly don't like basketball except last year the Wichita State Shockers made it to the final 4, and they went undefeated last year and my kids are going to be giving them a lot of money for about 8-10 years running, so I do sort of like to watch the Shockers play. Oh, and I don't mind watching the summer Olympics but winter Olympics does nothing for me.

Now baseball... I won't watch it on TV, but I do like to watch a good major league game in person. This is going to be our second year in a row going to see a Royals game and I'm pretty excited. We go tomorrow when it's Wichita State day at the Royals (see how I combined those two things... the basketball team is even throwing out the first pitch). Otherwise, I pretty much leave the room whenever Dan turns the channel to sports. And he will watch ESPN whenever he can. Loves sports. Probably as much as I love digital scrapbooking.

How does it work in your family?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We aren't a sports family either... even growing up, it wasn't important... My dad would watch the World Series and my Grandpa would watch for the Packers (even though a fan) to loose so that he didn't have to hear about them all the time when watching the news. The only sport I do love to watch is hockey.

My husband is the same way... he will watch a game, but not really follow it. HOWEVER - our son is OBSESSED with sports! We do not understand where it comes from. He will watch any and every sport - even golf! haha Even as a baby, one way we could him to settle down was put on extreme sports. DH has commented that he as watched more Packer games in the last two years than his whole life prior, all because of Jake. Jake is so into sports, that he has to go to the NFL websites in the fall/winter to see who is playing who, who is on the top of the bored, etc... it's nuts.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My husband lives and breathes sports. He watches them religiously on tv. And if we're in the car, he listens to games and/or sports talk on the radio. It kinda drives me nuts because I couldn't care less. I do love to watch my son play, though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gallery
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I grew up with a father and four brothers...all they did was watch some sort of game and if they weren't watching a game they were watching ESPN. Sports all.the.time. Sooooooo...I'm hate watching sports on t.v. I don't mind going to games even though I don't necessarily root for any certain teams. But, to watch on t.v., no thanks.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a big sports fan. I mean, if the opportunity presents itself I like to go to our hometown's NHL games, but I don't follow the season or the players. Our 8 year old daughter is the same.

My husband enjoys watching NHL games once they're in the playoffs, but he doesn't follow the regular season. But for major league baseball -- he'll watch all the games with the Toronto Blue Jays when possible and listen to the games on the radio when he's not at home.

Our 4 year old son likes to watch NHL with his Dad but he's still little yet to follow the game.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:34 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

My dad and brothers weren't hugely into sports, but I've always enjoyed watching, and I have fond memories of watching basketball with my dad.

Basketball is definitely my favorite, but I also enjoy football (my boys are forbidden to play football, but I absolutely love watching--especially college football), tennis, soccer, and swimming (not to mention gymnastics and figure skating--I'm obsessed).

Hubby is a HUGE sports guy. He watches everything, but grew up loving baseball in particular. I never cared about baseball at all, but he loves it so much that I've learned to enjoy it--especially live games.

We've never been big on hockey or Nascar, but my boys have started to watch Nascar and talk about it a lot, so I might have to learn to enjoy that one too. Lol.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hubby is a sports fanatic. Watches anything and everything. Me - I could care less. I don't really even like watching my kids play weekend sports (but that's mostly because I spend the whole time with my heart in my mouth feeling nervous for them).

I played hockey when I was younger, and really enjoyed that, but if I never saw another sports game on TV I'd be perfectly happy. I think part of it is because in New Zealand they only really televise Rugby or Netball. We're saturated with it. All the smaller codes get hardly any air time and it annoys me. I wouldn't mind watching beach volleyball, hockey, or skiing etc, but unless it's the olympics we just don't see it.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like baseball & football, but I could careless about anything else.

Hubby is a big sports fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Myself, I like baseball (listening to it on the radio is fun!)

But truthfully....I like sports because it keeps the guy-people in the house busy!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i don't really care for watching sports unless it's volleyball. I played volleyball in HS and loved every second of it. i get really really into vball games, haha! I don't normally watch them unless they're on the olympics though, it's not normal for sports to be on in our house.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

DH is a big sports fan. His favorite is football, but he also loves baseball and basketball. He listens to sports talk, reads sports coverage, knows obscure historical sports facts, etc. Sometimes I'm not sure how he ended up with me, LOL. I could care less about any of it. A friend of ours from college set a goal to see a baseball game in every stadium in the country, and he recently published a book about his experiences. I haven't read it yet, but he told me he mentioned me, sitting with them in the stadium with my head buried in a book while they watched the game.

I grew up in a house of baseball fans, but they didn't take it as seriously as DH does. Once or twice a year we'd go to Boston so my father and siblings could go to a Red Sox game; my mother and I would go for lunch and shop instead.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No big sports fans here either - except for motor racing. My hubby works in the industry, does it for fun and watches it on TV (mainly Formula 1). I've taken a passing interest in Formula 1 since I met him but otherwise don't follow anything anymore (I used to be a big cricket fan in my teens and 20s). I played hockey when I was younger too.

My 8 y.o. son on the otherhand loves all sports - but his favourites are motor sport (naturally!), soccer and rugby.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up with parents who loved to watch sports but I was not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination. My parents still religiously watch the Patriots (football) and the Red Sox (baseball) - as in every single game they can get.

Even though I didn't play sports I LOVED to watch sports and still do. I don't rearrange my schedule or make a point to be home for a certain game but if I'm home and there's something on I'll watch it. There are exceptions - I hate watching golf - it's like watching paint dry. I'm not a fan of professional basketball but I love college bball. I love hockey and football. DH was a sports fanatic and was very athletic and our kids inherited his athletic ability.

I also love to watch my kids play - DS was into football, boxing, and baseball (he hated basketball). Cheyanne used to play soccer but stopped last year because it wasn't her favorite. She also used to swim competitively but it was the same season as basketball and her love of the court won out over the pool. So now she plays baketball and softball pretty much year round and in fact starts both again for the summer next week with 2 games in each sport every week until August - I can't wait to watch the games
Old 06-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I grew up with a dad who watched sports, mainly football and baseball. And wrestling, but that's more acting than real sports IMO. Mom didn't really care. And hubby doesn't watch sports, period.

I used to be a huge baseball fan, and went to a lot of games. I don't watch it now (no ML team here), but we usually go to a AAA game every year. No big deal though.

And I enjoy watching the Thunder play...can't really afford to go to a game though, and I don't watch them much on TV. We would like to go to a game...so maybe in the future.

Not into hockey at all, but we do have a team in town and have both wanted to go watch a game. We also have a soccer team now (they are actually playing in our HS monster stadium)...but it doesn't appeal so I doubt we'd go even if we had free tickets.

I DO watch the Olympics...Rachel will watch some with me, and even hubby will watch curling. LOL. That's about it.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Growing up my family wasn't into sports. My ex husband was a huge baseball/wrestling fan so I got into baseball a little bit. Now my 5 year old daughter loves baseball so I know that sports will be apart of my life. I'm okay with it.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am not a sports person. I watch the olympics with an obsession. I get soccer because I played for a lot of years. I don't mind high school and college level football, or pro/semi baseball. I'll go to games but I am not a big watcher.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Grew up with a bunch of football and baseball fans. Married to a football, baseball, basketball fan. My daughter's a cheerleader so I watch a lot of high school sports. I get really nervous/anxious and watching sports just makes me feel bad/exhausted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I'm a sports girl Mainly Fball and baseball but I'll admit I've jumped on the World Cup bandwagon and have been watching it too...NOT a basketball fan really but I'd watch it if people I'm with are watching.

My faves are DEF NFL and College fball

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I love sports, playing and going live. I don't watch a lot of TV though, just a few. Hockey is my favorite.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I am a total sports fan! I love it all, but especially college and NFL football. Love seeing it live and watching my kids play. I have always been a little sad when their sports seasons come to an end. And I have withdrawal after the Superbowl!