Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default I buy too many kits!! (is that such a thing?)

HELP - I keep buying kits!

I buy kits to get the $10/$15/$20 FWP.... because of the sales.... because they're cute.... they'll (eventually) go with that idea I have in my head but no pics yet to match...

I find myself spending more time buying & organizing my kits than actually creating pages so I ask, what mental process do you use to buy your kits? Do you only buy if you have pictures to match? If you have an idea in your head? Or just if the colors/theme move you? Or do you just buy whatever you want and wait until it'll work with something?
Old 07-02-2019, 02:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Old 07-02-2019, 02:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep my photos & my kits super-organized so I can open up both folders & see immediately what I have.

My original photos are all stored chronologically. I have a separate folder entitled "To Make" with chronological folders. I'm caught up through 2016 so I have "2017," "2018," & "2019" in this big folder. Inside those folders are subfolders with copies of the photos I want to scrap sorted by month and event/moment e.g. "03-Dad's Birthday Party," etc.

My kits are sorted into a "00-CT" folder (and stored on my hard drive) for CT layouts I need to make and a much larger "00-To Be Used" folder on my EHD (where all my supplies, photos, & layouts are stored). I can browse through all my "To Make" photos whenever I download a new kit and see if it will work with anything. If not, it goes into the "00-To Be Used" folder.

Every 4-6 weeks, I go through my "To Be Used" folder and my "To Make" folder and match up photos with kits. A matched photo folder + kit goes into a "To Scrap" folder nested under the "To Make" folder. The "To Scrap" folder is also organized by year and within these years are "Cute Photos" and "Important Stories."

It looks something like this:
EHD
>Product
>>To Make
>>>2017 (repeat folders for other years)
>>>>01-Event, 02-Event, etc.
>>>To Scrap
>>>>Cute Photos, Important Stories
>>>>>01-Event (with kit nested inside), etc.
>>To Be Used
>>>kits
>>Kits
>>>already used kits filed by designer (real) name

I also organize (and back up) my photos on Google Photos so when I know I have a photo of something but not sure the date or place, I can search for it on there with keywords or people tags and find it relatively quickly. It's not fool-proof but a lot easier than manually tagging and a lot faster than manually searching my EHD.

I know this sounds way over-the-top organized (and it is!) but I can spend less than 5 minutes on my EHD or on Google Photos and find what I want 95% of the time and know what kind of kits to buy and/or which have similar themes that need to be used up before I purchase something new.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I also buy kits when/because I like the FWP. But mostly, I buy kits because:
- I like the theme and/or colors
- it has lots of flowers and/or themed elements
- the papers are gorgeous
- I feel like I could use them someday
- I have photos in mind where I can use them
- I might have a digital hoarding issue as well.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
- I like the theme and/or colors
- it has lots of flowers and/or themed elements
- the papers are gorgeous
- I feel like I could use them someday
- I have photos in mind where I can use them
I love the honesty of this response! Good to know I'm not the only one!
Old 07-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I keep my photos & my kits super-organized so I can open up both folders & see immediately what I have.

My original photos are all stored chronologically. I have a separate folder entitled "To Make" with chronological folders. I'm caught up through 2016 so I have "2017," "2018," & "2019" in this big folder. Inside those folders are subfolders with copies of the photos I want to scrap sorted by month and event/moment e.g. "03-Dad's Birthday Party," etc.

My kits are sorted into a "00-CT" folder (and stored on my hard drive) for CT layouts I need to make and a much larger "00-To Be Used" folder on my EHD (where all my supplies, photos, & layouts are stored). I can browse through all my "To Make" photos whenever I download a new kit and see if it will work with anything. If not, it goes into the "00-To Be Used" folder.

Every 4-6 weeks, I go through my "To Be Used" folder and my "To Make" folder and match up photos with kits. A matched photo folder + kit goes into a "To Scrap" folder nested under the "To Make" folder. The "To Scrap" folder is also organized by year and within these years are "Cute Photos" and "Important Stories."

It looks something like this:
EHD
>Product
>>To Make
>>>2017 (repeat folders for other years)
>>>>01-Event, 02-Event, etc.
>>>To Scrap
>>>>Cute Photos, Important Stories
>>>>>01-Event (with kit nested inside), etc.
>>To Be Used
>>>kits
>>Kits
>>>already used kits filed by designer (real) name

I also organize (and back up) my photos on Google Photos so when I know I have a photo of something but not sure the date or place, I can search for it on there with keywords or people tags and find it relatively quickly. It's not fool-proof but a lot easier than manually tagging and a lot faster than manually searching my EHD.

I know this sounds way over-the-top organized (and it is!) but I can spend less than 5 minutes on my EHD or on Google Photos and find what I want 95% of the time and know what kind of kits to buy and/or which have similar themes that need to be used up before I purchase something new.
This is AMAZING!! And I will probably have to take some pointers from your system and apply to mine!
Old 07-02-2019, 03:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlmurrell View Post
This is AMAZING!! And I will probably have to take some pointers from your system and apply to mine!
I will also sometimes match up templates with my multi-photo events. Either way, when I have time to scrap, I can pull out one of those folders with matched photos + kit and get right to scrapping. That's really the beauty of the system.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:44 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I will also sometimes match up templates with my multi-photo events. Either way, when I have time to scrap, I can pull out one of those folders with matched photos + kit and get right to scrapping. That's really the beauty of the system.
It's like you're channeling my organizational happy! LOL
Old 07-02-2019, 03:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Also, when Flergs and Cindy made a matching template and kit, I just can't resist
Old 07-02-2019, 03:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no solutions because I'm in the same boat. I try to buy what I know I'm going to need soon. But sometimes I just buy kits I really like. I admittedly have some I've never used. But I've used many, many, many others. New kits/templates keep me excited and motivated to scrap, which is important. I figure I can spend some money on my hobby each week. That's my story and I'm sticking with it! LOL
Old 07-02-2019, 04:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You are definitely not the only one! I have a stash of kits that I bought just because I fell in love with the look. I figure I'll use them someday!!
Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to buy a kit knowing I have photos to scrap with it. Or if it is a very unique theme and I haven't seen it very much before. I may not have photos...yet, but it's something I know I would have a hard time finding again.

I also only buy when it's really in the budget to do so. My wishlist is HUGE, but I slowly chip away at it purchasing items here and there!

Right now, I'm not really scrapping for the summer (this is the first time I've been on the computer in over a week's time). But I like to think once school starts back up...I'll have many kits to scrap with (not necessarily more photos as we aren't doing much this summer!)
Old 07-02-2019, 06:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Old 07-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to buy 'all the kits' that I thought looked cute, but problem was I'd end up not using most of them (and to be honest, things I think are so cute' are never things I'd realistically be able to use).... to keep myself in check I try not to buy anything I don't already have photos for..... that way I know I can use them when I purchase them and it keeps my budget in check. For the kits that I love but don't have photos for, I throw them in my wishlist to remember for later. The next thing I do is I really plan out my purchases.... with the exchange rate being what it is (causing prices to be approx 35% higher), I can't go purchasing everything I want unfortunately..... believe me I really wish I could! So I really only make big purchases during sales, and if I get a discount from completing challenges.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:13 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My system seems to work fairly well but it gets complicated at times. (Sarcastic tone implied)

I am motivated by sales and color. I usually spend more time shopping then scrapping. I never have a plan in mind, fly by my pants, impulse buy & throw it in a folder (designer, kit name) . 75% get used. The unused 25% kits didn't work the way i thought or i got distracted by a different kit and forgot about it.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

If I weren't a babe, I would have your exact same problem.
Our designers are so fantastic at doing their job! *happy sigh*
Old 07-03-2019, 09:37 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I find myself adding everything I like to my wishlist, and once I have a use for it (or there is a sale) I purchase. I have also just purchased something I love and have no idea how/when I will use it, I just can't say no to the colors!
Old 07-03-2019, 09:40 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I try to be intentional and mindful about what I purchase. I have to absolutely love it, enough to pay full price, though I usually wait for sales or coupons. I also try to only buy kits I have an immediate need for, but this doesn't always work. Sometimes I will buy something just because I love it, but I don't always use these purchases right away. I am more of a template addict, and I buy lots of those all the time. I have a loose budget in mind for each month, so that helps.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm also very influenced by the FWPs!
I go in waves of being super discerning vs. super impulsive. New releases used to "get me" every time, but now I find myself wish-listing more and shopping smarter with coupons & sales. I do project life, so I'm more likely to buy a project life-able kit just because "I'll use it in the future", other more theme-y kits, I usually wish list until I'm ready to scrap those photos or wait for a sale.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:38 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I buy what I want, when I want - I don’t keep track of what I’ve used. I only have boys to scrap for, but I can’t resist Kristin or Flergs, so tend to buy a lot of their designs. I also love Cindy’s and Lorie’s templates.

I used to sort by store then designer, but I shop pretty much exclusively here these days, so I just sort by designer and then kit name.

Except for templates, they all go into one large “template” folder and then the empty folder with preview goes into that designers folder so that I can keep track of them.

I buy collections/bundles, and everything gets put in the one folder, except for alphas which go into a sub folder. I also put coordinating templates in the kit folder.

Photos are sorted by year and event, which makes it pretty easy for me to find what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm like Rebecca....I splurge and buy lots for awhile (I'm a sucker for a sale LOL) and then I slow right down and really look at the kit to see what's in it that piques my interest and think about how I would use it. I tend to buy less in the summer (once I buy a few new summer themed kits) and then start buying more as we get into the fall/winter kits which are my favorite. I'm also a sucker for home/all about me types of kits.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think shopping and organizing is part of the fun for me, so I don't feel bad about buying kits I'll never use. I've learned not to feel guilt.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My scrapping budget is limited, so I try to be very intentional with it. I only buy kits for photos that I know I'll be scrapping soon. I also shoot for kits that I think I'll make multiple pages with. I tend to buy a lot during sales and buy new releases if they're something I'll use right away.

Templates are my weakness. If I like a template and it has a photo configuration I'll use, I buy it. No need to know exactly what pictures I'll use it for--I always find a use for templates.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 07:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I buy too many. I don't scrap nearly enough. However, these products will be good basically forever. Someday, I will have time to use them.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have absolutely nothing in my scrapstash since it's been YEARS since I scrapped! So I've been on a buying bender...and my wishlist is out of control. I feel you!
Old 07-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_hart View Post
I have absolutely nothing in my scrapstash since it's been YEARS since I scrapped! So I've been on a buying bender...and my wishlist is out of control. I feel you!
It reminds me some years earlier I was like you but since my stash is not empty anymore.:P

I'm in the same boat, I totally admit I must have some problem with digital hoarding, I can't control it, all kit seems usefull, super cute or any reasons thats seems logic to me… I try to think and not take all but with the sales I always finish by buying it! Sight!
Old 07-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only buy one designers kits these days and those I buy at release. Then I have another designer that I purchase at release if the kit is a must have and wish list the rest until a challenge discount or a sale. All others I only buy if I need it for a special layout. Used to buy every single kit I liked, but had to restrain myself.