Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Angry Sort kits/templates

I'm a relatively newbie to Scrapbooking but already I have so many templates and kits. What's the best way to sort them by? (I currently do by designer) I have so many already I can never find what I'm looking for!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know what you mean, it can be a mess. I personally sort them by store because I want to use products from a particular store when I participate in their events/challenges/etc. I've always wanted to have them sorted by theme though.
--
Mama to Albert
Old 07-17-2015, 10:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've got them sorted out by designer.
And I keep a folder where I put the previews in. I use that folder when I'm searching for a particular kind of kit and can't find it.
Oh and I label my templates by the number of photo spots in it.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use Traci's method. She wrote a tutorial here: https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...o-little-time/

I love that my gazillion templates are sorted by the number of photos. It's SO much easier to find what I need now.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My photos are sorted by photo slots, and then a few additional categories(specific themed templates, etc).
Kits I don't have sorted. At all. I used to bother and would spend forever looking for them. Now they are ALL in one folder and if I am looking for something I just search the folder for that term. I find some awesome vintage treasures from my scrap files that way, from back in 2007-2008, lol.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I have a TON of kits from so many different places and so many different designers. I have my templates in their own folder (regardless of where they came from) and those are sorted by number of photos. Other than than that, I keep all of my kits in their own folders within one large compiled folder called "Kits." The only kits I segregate into a category are for holidays or very specific items (Christmas or Halloween).

Personally, I shy away from kits that I know can only be used for one or two layout because they are too theme-specific. I love having variety and functionality in the kits that I purchase so that I'm not limited when using them. I think it mostly boils down to finding the right organization system for you...and unfortunately that sometimes requires trial and error.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I have my kits sorted by themes. Right now, I have 11 different main themes I've got them sorted into and some of those themes (ie Disney) I've broken down into sub themes. It sort of works and when I scrap, I do find a kit that goes along with the pictures I'm scrapping...sometimes finding an older gem that I bought a few years ago and haven't used for a while.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I have a folder for the designer(s) that I CT for. I have another folder w/ SSD kits inside (or for whatever stores where you do challenges at). The rest are by designer.

For templates, I have folders for the number of photos in the template. Ex, 1 photo templates, NO photo templates, etc. Templates that are part of an album are kept together in a folder of their own.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I sorted my kits and photos just like Traci's tutorials but it's getting too big now, i have to re-arrange and add new themes in my kits folder.

and last week sugarbabe Vanessa wrote a post about tagging that I would really like to try. I think tagging will def make finding kits/photos easier.
I've heard many times about it but the idea of tagging everything sounds like a very daunting task but now it took me long time trying to find the kits (or photos) that i want to use so i think i'll do it to save time in the future.

and... i have a problem deleting photos and kits/templates but i need the space when i buy new kits so i started deleting older kits/templates here and there.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have so many templates it's ridiculous. I've started keeping only the TIF file and getting rid of everything else, even the previews. I've also started being more ruthless with the kits I keep. I used to keep everything, but now I do delete a kit if I'm not sure I'll use it again.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also only keep the .tiff file. I have a folder for SSD templates and a folder for all other templates. Mine are also labeled with the number of photo spots.

With alphabets there are often full sheets of alphas and the separated ones. I keep only the full sheets.

Kits are sorted by theme, or general feel. I name the folder to include the designer name. If it is a SSD kit, I add a ~ to the beginning of the folder so that it will pop it to the beginning of my list when I sort alphabetically. This way I can see at a glance which kits are from SSD designers when I am scrapping for challenges and such. If a designer leaves SSD I can just remove my little tilde and leave the kit in the same folder. I used to separate by store early on but SO many designers change stores rather quickly... stores come and go. I still have an old folder that needs to be sorted that has some super old store names, many that you guys probably wouldn't even remember. LOL Then I tried to put them in folders by designers but what do you do about collabs? I tried putting shortcuts from the kit in one designer's folder to the kit in the other designer's folder but that got to be a mess. Then there are store kits, etc. I found that I couldn't always remember exactly who made a kit (I used to but I have waaay too many now!) and I'd find myself trying to search keywords. Themes works better for me.

Talking about old kits... oh my gosh. I have some super old ones that I just need to ditch. They are nostalgic for me so it is hard to get rid of them. I'm guessing the designers who created them would be more than happy for me to ditch them though.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use ACDsee, it's a program you can organize photos, kits, etc. You can download a 30 trial of ACDsee 18 to play with it.

I tag everything by designer, category,etc. Templates I do by the number of photos you can use. I put everything in folders, and the tags help link you directly to the item you're looking for. I talk a little bit about how I tag my photos last week on the blog, but it works the same way with the kits and templates.

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/i...be-sunday-712/

You can see how the tags work here with my alphas.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

My SSD folder is a mess! It's a cluster-(you know what)

Right now it's just done alphabetically and release dates. I really should organize better lol
Old 07-17-2015, 09:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This is what my templates look like.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Talking about old kits... oh my gosh. I have some super old ones that I just need to ditch. They are nostalgic for me so it is hard to get rid of them. I'm guessing the designers who created them would be more than happy for me to ditch them though.

I have a LOT of old kits...and I have a pretty big stash from when I was on your CT. Still love them too
Old 07-17-2015, 11:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have my templates tagged in ACDSee both by size, by number of photo spots and a category for pocket templates too. LOVE ACDSee!!
Old 07-18-2015, 02:36 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Wow some really good ideas
I love the idea of having a preview folder, will definitely be doing that. I already have one for alphas and makes life much easier.
I am such a terrible hoarder so I need as much organisation as possible lol
x
Old 07-18-2015, 05:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I sort templates by designer, and made a map wich i devided in the number of photos on the templates.
and kopy a preview with the number of photos in each map.

the scrapkits i sort by theme, like sprin summer, food, disney and large maps like disney i sort further by
theme like characters, parks, attractions ect.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have too many kits and templates since I´m doing this for 10 years.
designers change often to different stores, so I sort my kits by designer.
I keep a preview folder, also sort by designer, but just for easy display. On the preview folder I have a few themes subfolder where I put copys of the previews (Christmas, Halloween, Love/Valentines, School, Sports...)

The templates I only save the tiff files and I sort them on double page, single page and grids
I started to tag them by number of pics, but since I have over 5,000 templates I ended spending more time tagging than scrapping so I quit that job.

Sometimes I just pull a number from the random generator and scrap with that kit... is like shopping on my own hard drive
Old 07-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Love this! thanks for all the tips!
Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have them by designer also, but I always struggle with kits who are done by 2 or even 3 designers. What do you do then?
Old 07-23-2015, 02:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leontine78 View Post
I have them by designer also, but I always struggle with kits who are done by 2 or even 3 designers. What do you do then?

I just pick one designer & throw it in their folder. In acdsee you could tag each designer & it would show up for each one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk