Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Camping...

I am dying to go camping this summer, we haven't been able to in the last 3 yrs because of 2 deployments and 1 move didn't leave us with time to go. But this year so far it looks like hubby will be around and we've tentatively booked several long weekends off this summer.

What are your best/fave/ingenious tips, tricks, recipes and stories about camping?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We love camping, but I've had to do it solo with the older kids the last 2 summers because we can't take our youngest with us due to medical issues and one of us has to stay home with him. Even so, we've had a ton of fun!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we love camping too but haven't gone since my oldest was born (7 years ago! ugh!). we're going this summer with some friends and I really have no advice, but there are tons of meal ideas on pinterest! try searching camping hacks or something and you'll see some cool ones.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well camping for us is with a 26-foot motor home so that probably doesn't count! LOL - we did a month-long trip last summer through several national parks that was an unforgettable trip. We're staying home this summer since I just bought a new home and we're moving at the end of this month. Might try to get a few weekenders in though.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are the 'go to a beautiful place in nature, car camp, and hike' type. I love national parks. I'm not so much for the find a big reservoir with motor boats and lots of people drinking beer.

In a few weeks we are going to the Calavaras Big Tree State Park here in California with monstrous sequoias. I am so excited. We are taking all of my son's small class at his school (6 boys & their parents). Then we'll stay an extra night and do some more hiking.

I usually cook dinner on the coleman propane stove (I like instant gratification and don't want to wait for coals to heat up to eat.) But, on my list though, to try this year are some of these desserts! 10 Campfire Desserts I especially want to try the banana one!

One of the things on my bucket list for when my son is older: take a road trip and car camp through the southwest. And another trip up to see Mount Rushmore! OH...and if possible I really really want to backpack someday and really get out in the woods.

Last edited by kristijoy; 05-13-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Camping for us is a rented cabin. It's only one step up from camping in a tent though -- but a working bathroom is a must for me!

Here are a few faves:

- We have a campfire most every night. We love sitting around under the stars and chatting while the fire crackles. Roasting marshmallows is a fave. (Just make sure to find your roasting sticks before it gets dark out!)
- My hubby put a star map app on his phone so that we can identify constellations. The kids loved it.
- Those little individual boxes of cereal are a Special Treat around here -- and the kiddos only get them at the cabin in the summer! It's a huge deal for them and a super easy breakfast for me.
- Everybody has their own flashlight/lantern. It makes the night so fun. Another fun one is those glow stick bracelets. Kids love to wear them and run around the beach at night. Bonus is that we can easily see them glowing so we know where they are.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a small Pinterest board with some ideas for camping.
http://www.pinterest.com/julifish/camping/

I have a bin system I use for storing all our cooking supplies and food when we camp that I love. I am a list person and I make lists of every single thing we might need for each meal, each event, etc. It's the only way to pack everything we need. Then we still end up needing something at Wal-Mart (it never fails).

We bought double high airbeds and a vacuum/blower that goes on a 5 gallon bucket. It made camping so much nicer! I love that we can quickly inflate the beds and clean the tent of all the sand (Florida is so sandy) and the bucket can be used as a night stand or garbage can, plus I pack things in it to save room in the car.

Jiffy pop is fun when camping. We use glow sticks too.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hobo packets are really fun and easy: http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com/food...re-hobo-packs/ We always chop up an assortment of veggies and then everyone makes their own and adds their own seasoning.

We've made chili on our camp stove too which is great if you're somewhere it gets chilly at night.

We also like to use the Ghiradelli chocolate squares for s'mores. They're the perfect size, melt great (unlike Hershey bars) and you can even get flavored ones to mix it up. The mint one is my fave.

Last edited by Nettio; 05-13-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
We are the 'go to a beautiful place in nature, car camp, and hike' type. I love national parks. I'm not so much for the find a big reservoir with motor boats and lots of people drinking beer.

In a few weeks we are going to the Calavaras Big Tree State Park here in California with monstrous sequoias. I am so excited. We are taking all of my son's small class at his school (6 boys & their parents). Then we'll stay an extra night and do some more hiking.

I usually cook dinner on the coleman propane stove (I like instant gratification and don't want to wait for coals to heat up to eat.) But, on my list though, to try this year are some of these desserts! 10 Campfire Desserts I especially want to try the banana one!

One of the things on my bucket list for when my son is older: take a road trip and car camp through the southwest. And another trip up to see Mount Rushmore! OH...and if possible I really really want to backpack someday and really get out in the woods.
I've tried the banana dessert. I get a bunch of stuff to put in them...marshmallow, choc chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips...sooo yummy!!

Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm soooo not the camping type. The outdoors scares me. :s But those treats look yummy! I wonder if you can make them on a gas stove??

Old 05-14-2014, 12:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthia122 View Post
I'm soooo not the camping type. The outdoors scares me. :s But those treats look yummy! I wonder if you can make them on a gas stove??
It's worth a shot!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
It's worth a shot!
How about a Barbeque?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have one of these.

We've put 2 slices of bread in it with either pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni or bread with pie filling, we call them mountain pies, a little butter on the bread before you put them in the iron.

I agree with everything above. We used to camp a lot before the kids were born, we've only taken them once.

We always do baked potatoes in the fire too.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have gone camping the last two summers with the boys and are planning on this summer as well. I prefer to go to a campground with flushing toilets...that is my "limit" for roughing it.

I have a dish now that we've dubbed camping chicken because I came up with it when I was trying to figure out what to make for dinners (besides tacos and hot dogs).

Chicken tenderloins
Butter
Salt
Garlic
Pepper

Cook on a fry pan on a camp stove until chicken is done through. While cooking that, cook chopped up peppers and onions and vegetables on the campfire in aluminum foil.

Make some spaghetti noodles and when done melt in some butter and some Italian seasoning.

Deliciousness!!! Everyone eats it up and its not hard to make at all!