Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Smash Journals

I have a 14 year old I need to buy a Christmas present for and was thinking about picking up one of these for her at the local craft store, since they are on sale. They have some loose journals but they also have several that are in a sealed package with some of the accessory pieces. The sealed ones look like a great deal as they are $20 but would be $10 with the half off coupon. The unsealed ones are $10 but that is the sale price, so clearly the craft store doesn't want to sell them at less than $10. Which is fine. But I would like to know is there a big difference between journals? I assume that each color is a different journal. Are some more "collectable" than others? Or does it matter at all? I have no clue! Help a mom out here! LOL!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

all of the journals have different styles, if you google kcompany smash and go to their website you can see a preview of some of the pages. I have the pink one that is really girly and sort of shabby chic style, as well as the red spined one which is doodle, I think? but if you look at the unsealed ones in the store you will also see the different styles. Also, I think the packages are a good deal and I'd go for one of those. I think they have the red, pink and blue books in the packages and so if you think one of those books is her style, I'd buy one of those.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by solagratia View Post
all of the journals have different styles, if you google kcompany smash and go to their website you can see a preview of some of the pages. I have the pink one that is really girly and sort of shabby chic style, as well as the red spined one which is doodle, I think? but if you look at the unsealed ones in the store you will also see the different styles. Also, I think the packages are a good deal and I'd go for one of those. I think they have the red, pink and blue books in the packages and so if you think one of those books is her style, I'd buy one of those.
Yes, she's not really into pink, so that is good to know. I think she might like a doodle theme, as she is quite artistic! I'll have to check to see what the other themes are.

It is not easy to buy gifts for 14 year olds!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

These are sooo cute!! This is what my mom is getting my girls for Christmas. They are going to be so excited!!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I would have loved a Smash book when I was 14, I always has a journal going. I have the pink one and ya, it is pretty girly shabby patterns in it.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I bought one for my mom for xmas, LOL!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was thinking about getting one for my 12 1/2 year old. I like the Simple (orange) and the 365 (lime green). Haven't decided which one I think she'd like more though.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I can't wait for the 365 lime one to hit stores, I am so excited!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got one for Christmas from my in-laws & can't wait to play with it!! Mine is lime green, but it is eco themed!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to say that my 14 yo loves her Smash Books. She has a medium sized one (the one in the kits) and a big one she used for camp this summer. They sell a small one at Target too.

I think the bundle is a great idea! I also recommend the stamp that changes messages and dates - heck...I'd like one for myself!

I did just get myself a Micheal's Recollection brand travel one - I like that it's a binder with three ring clips so I can add and swap around as I wish.

Hope she loves it!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I prefer the ring binders over the spirals, but I think it depends on what she plans on using it for... I like to add lots of bulky items and paint to mine and the spiral isn't large enough, but the ring binders allow me to attach bulkier things to my pages... if she's just going to doodle and not attach a lot of stuff than the spirals are perfect...
Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

They look like a lot of fun... but ugh, to go back to "traditional" scrapping! I'd have to do it all on line and then just tape it in the book... hahah
Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I ended up buying this one: http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/kandc...ack_837456.htm

With the Michael's coupon, it was ten dollars for the set!

And the stamp (which I saw yesterday and thought, that's cool, now it occurs to me that I need to go back and get some ink, LOL!)

http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/kandc..._30-614833.htm

Plus I got this from the Michael's Recollections, which is similar:

http://www.michaels.com/Creative-Cha...-creativechaos

I'll probably go back with my iPhone coupon a few more times before Christmas to add some tape and ink and maybe some archival markers.

I can see doing something similar to this, although I am pretty sure that, like Mama Bee, I'm much more inclined to do something like this digitally! I am really LOVING all the awesome art journal stuff here on SSD!

Last edited by origami; 12-19-2012 at 05:32 PM.