Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Geocaching - Best and Worst

A spinoff of KCB's Geocaching thread...

Since so many of us seem to be into Geocaching (we found our first one the day before yesterday and in 2 days found 9!) I want to know...

What is the best and/or worst caches you've found? Why were they in your mind the best/worst?

Also share: the easiest, hardest, cutest, cheesiest, cleverest, favourite cache you've found so far?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The worst ones we found in my opinion were because they were just too easy. One would have been fine, but to have 3 in a couple block radius all in the same style of location? What was the hiding place? Guard rails. All 3 were tucked into metal guard rails, 2 were even on opposite ends of a bridge.

Best? Well... I think the best so far was yesterday's super hard one... it was the size of a small bolt/screw, covered in duck tape to make it silver and magnetically stuck onto a metal beam UNDER a bridge! That was hard, yet satisfying once found!
Old 05-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

My favorite difficult one was at a roadside park. Someone had gone under a wooden picnic table, & found a hole in the wood, glued a tiny magnet in it and then put a tiny metal container in the hole, with just the smallest bit of a metal curve barely visible. You had to get pretty much under the cobwebbed table and run your fingers over it to tell that it moved and then I had to get DH's multi tool to pull it out.

We found another one done like it in an old wooden sign with a small piece of wood, protruding ever so slightly to let you know something might be there.

My favorite clever ones locally are the ones disguised to look like solid metal outlet plates or random bits of plumbing/electrical work that don't really belong. There are two cache teams in our area that are really good at disguising things that way and you have sit there and ask yourself 'what is wrong with this picture' when you know you are at ground zero. My kids have taken to just pulling & pushing on anything that doesn't look like an actual electrical outlet when it's one of these guys' hides.

I really suck at the puzzle ones that give you coordinates to the first part of the puzzle but then you have to figure new coordinates out from there.

Last edited by Stacey42; 05-20-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind when they're easy lol. After having so many DNFs, sometimes it's nice to just walk up and see it without too much looking lol. That - and I'm out in the desert, so I've usually hiked a half mile just to get to the spot, so I don't want them to be TOO hard lol.

That said - I love a good challenge too. My fave one was one that was disguised as a post in the ground (there were other posts, so it didn't look out of place). but the post was cut in half and you could twist it to reveal a hole in the middle and a cache down in the hole. SO tricky. I only found it cuz I was frustrated and I kicked the post lol.

I also love the big ones with tradeables in them - so fun. I've hiked for a couple miles just to get to one titled Hugh Jass Cache

My least favorite are ones hidden in piles of rocks. I rarely try those - and when I do, I don't look very long because I swear I NEVER find them! And multi-part cache's & I don't get along too well either. I can never seen to find the first leg (let alone the rest) lol.

I don't mind puzzle ones too much - so long as they have a coordinate checker so that I know I got the right coords.