Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default An idea for November

I was randomly looking for books and found this - Kate Long - The Bad Mother's Handbook. I definitely want to read it and I thought I'd mention it as a suggestion.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I'll add it to the suggestion thread that will go up this weekend

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cool, thanks!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Looks like an interesting read!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Reviews look nice as well, let's see if the real thing can live up to them. The book is already on its way to me. It seemed intriguing to me that it's supposed to be a non-saccharine version of "women literature" (I use quotation marks because IMHO this is a weird category, since women tend to read anything, not just romance, and there's nothing like "men literature", so there).

Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The book arrived yesterday and I longed to have some offline time, so I read about a third of it already.

I very much love it, but WHOEVER wrote the commentaries on the cover of my edition never read it.

Hilarious? A cracking read? It's more bittersweet. It's not a laughing-out-loud book, it's very real, very non-sentimental and intriguing. But hilarious? Come on. Talk about misguiding potential readers (and disappointing them, if they're looking for hilarious).

And why does every single book a No. 1 Bestseller written on it? Is it supposed to help sales? It kind of loses any point if you write it on every cover of a book nobody ever heard of.

Still I'm happy with my book, which is way better than the other way round.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

I've seen similar things with other books, where they will be written in a totally misleading way. I hate when movies do that, too. The movie trailer will show the only 4 funny parts of the movie and then you go thinking it will be hilarious and those were the only 4 funny scenes... And I totally hear ya on "bestseller" being slapped on far too many books...lol

That book does look interesting. Reading this time of year is hard for me, I tend to have my reading stats dip quite low for the last three months of the year, lol, but I'm willing to try!

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea (HappyScrapMom) View Post
I've seen similar things with other books, where they will be written in a totally misleading way. I hate when movies do that, too. The movie trailer will show the only 4 funny parts of the movie and then you go thinking it will be hilarious and those were the only 4 funny scenes... And I totally hear ya on "bestseller" being slapped on far too many books...lol

That book does look interesting. Reading this time of year is hard for me, I tend to have my reading stats dip quite low for the last three months of the year, lol, but I'm willing to try!
The bestseller bit makes me roll my eyes each time I see it. :-)

I'm already near the end and OMG this is so not hilarious. I actually cried several times over it. It's a good read, but it's definitely not a light topic. I think people looking for a light beach read might be heavily disappointed.

I've seen the trailer for the movie and it seemed to me they tried to move it over to the "funny" side. Not sure how well they succeeded or how right or wrong that move was.

Warnings for the book - there's foul language, and there's some realistic descriptions of things not so nice. Not anything I'd mind, but I know some people do.