Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Austin Texas Girls....

Hey there!!

I need some help!

My oldest son lives in Austin right now. Many years ago when he was young, we signed up for a penpal through the post office and he receive one from Japan. They wrote back and forth for many years and we sent them packages, and they sent us some too.

Fast forward nearly 20 years:

His younger sister (I believe she's 26 now) wants to come visit my son. My son is kind of freaked out. He just moved into this apartment...it's not very nice because he needed to save money. He has a house in Jarrell, but he's renting it out. I think that part is going to be ok though, and what I really need are some ideas on things he can take her to do.

He works graveyard and will have two of those nights off the week she's here, but he'll have afternoons and evenings the other days.

He was thinking the Riverwalk. He'll take her out with some of his friends for dinner, drinks, etc...

Any other ideas on things that would be fun to do?

She doesn't speak English. This is so brave of her!! Thankfully my son is a gentlemen! LOL
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm... He should take her to eat at the Salt Lick or one of the local BBQ restaurants.

6th street
Congress avenue bats
Rodeo will be in town in March
Zilker park
Bob Bullock History Museum (might be kinda boring though)
Movie at the Alamo Drafthouse

Here is an article of 13 things to do in Austin too that might give him some ideas-
http://365thingsaustin.com/2013/01/0...ustin-in-2013/
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Have him check out the calendar here for what's specifically going during her visit.
http://www.austinchronicle.com/calendar/

Amber had some good suggestions ( I like the Bob Bullock Museum, but I like museums :P )
And I agree The Salt Lick (the original) is a great place to take visitors.

Tour the Capitol Building
Hit South Congress, there are some good eats and funky stores etc
Mount Bonnell

I'm not sure when she'll be here but from about March to October there is always some kind of event going on and usually many. There's also always a multitude of live music happenings going on.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

She's coming January 21 and she'll only be here for one week. She wants to meet lots of people while she's here...which is going to be tough. He's already figuring he'll try to just get about 4 hours of sleep the first few days so he's up and able to take her places. He has Wednesday and Thursday off, and then she goes back Friday, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I sent him a list of a few of these places....thanks.

She was planning to come out here and stay with us, but we have 4 cats, and she's highly allergic with really bad asthma. So, Texas it is... with my son who is quite the bachelor! He's freaking out about now!

Thanks for this list though! We'll try to get it all together!

If you ladies know of some gals in their 20's that would love to take her around and do some girl things, that would be fabulous!! From her fb page, it looks like she loves shopping with friends....she's super duper cute...and I'd love for her to have a really fun time!