Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Can I please vent here?!?

Because I can't do it on my blog for fear that some of the management will see it. lol

I HATE our job. HATE IT. I have NEVER wanted to do it, but knew we had to take the job. My husband and I manage apartments from home. We get free rent, but the pay on top of that is NOT ENOUGH to cover all our expenses. Tenants think they can come over at all hours of the day for ridiculous things (like picking up packages at midnight or coming over at 10pm to inform me they have mosquitoes in their apt).

Our boss is a 85 yr old man who is downright mean and rude sometimes. He comes by the property EVERY SINGLE DAY to check on it and complain about everything we're not doing. He puts us down and sometimes says completely disgusting and inappropriate stuff... like suggesting I should whore myself to fill apartments (obviously joking, but I do not find it funny).

Now, he gets like 5 times worse over summer. This is the hardest time to fill apartments since we live next to the university. Tenants want to move in in August when school starts and people move out in May when the year ends.

I just want to SCREAM because I've had so many tenants come by and tell me they need to end their lease early... in May... when it's hardest for me to find new tenants. And then some of them get MAD at me when I inform them that if I can't fill their apartment that they will be responsible for the rent until the end of their lease or until someone moves in.

WHY is this surprising? How is it unfair if you signed a CONTRACT!! I've moved out of apartments early before and I very well knew of the obligation that comes from signing a contract.

Anyways, I am annoyed and stressed out. I doubt many of you will read this, but I needed to vent somewhere!!! lol

Please tell my husband to get with the program and get school over with so I don't have to work here anymore... only 4 more years.....

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via ICQ to Lukasmummy Send a message via MSN to Lukasmummy Send a message via Yahoo to Lukasmummy

I have no advice just wanted to give you some (((hugs)))
Old 04-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Well your tenants suck then. I rented apartments in college and if I didn't take summer classes, my parents paid for 2-3 months of a place that was empty because that's how contracts work!

Oy. That really sucks hon. I would DEF have your husband talk to Mr. Grumpypants and ask him to treat you with a little more respect
Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Awww, (((HUGS))) Megan! That sound soo frustrating!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you... I need hugs. This job stresses me out so much because I am not an aggressive, "lay-down-the-law" type of person... but sometimes you gotta be like that with crazy tenants.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, i could never do that! It would drive me nuts! (Plus, I hated our last apartment managers (a young couple) because they charged us way too much for cleaning after we spent hours and hours cleaning and recleaning after the initial check.) Anyway, I don't know how you do it. And yeah, I left an apartment before my contract was up once and found a tenant to take my place because I knew I'd have to pay otherwise. That's why they have contracts people! They understand how these things work and don't want to lose money--now, why don't people in your complex get that?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would defenitely say something to the boss. He should not suggest things like that and honestly it kinda borders on sexual harrassment!! My husband once said a joke to a friend of his and a girl who worked at the place he did OVERHEARD it and she complained to her boss and my husband and his friend were both written up and had to have a long lecture about sexual harrassment and they brought in a guy to do a workshop on the issue later in the month because of it. The joke was not even said TO her but since she overheard it and it made her uncomfortable it was not allowed.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Your tenants sound like idiots. If you sign a lease, you are bound by it! Plus, these idiots KNOW that you are a family and they KNOW it's inappropriate to come over at all hours of the night. They just don't give a flying fudge about it. I know, I've been there and done that. It got to the point that I refused to give them their packages until office hours. LOL
Old 04-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Well I can't understand, but just wanted to send some {{HUGS}} your way!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

How miserable for you! I can't believe people are giving you grief about enforcing their contract. Seriously - if they are smart enough to get into college, they are smart enough to understand a rental contract.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scarletsierra

((hugs))
Old 04-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Hugs Megan!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Megan, I can totally understand why you need to vent....I don't know how you can deal with these tennants or with the perverted old man/owner....I mean, I know why you have to deal with them, but I do know that I could not deal with them....

Big HUGS to you....
Old 04-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

(( hugs )) sounds frustrating
Old 04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I've been there! I used to manage a large apartment complex full of students who all had to sign at least a 1 year lease (I also made their parents co-sign in case they skipped out LOL). I was lucky enough to have night staff though (find a police officer, they make GREAT night time staff for a discount on rent). You really have to put your foot down or tenants will try just about anything.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Meeeegan, I you! I am sorry you are surrounded by horrible, wicked people. I was a landlord for 10 years so I feel your pain. If I win the lottery I promise to get you out!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Wow, that is just crazy!!! I am sorry you have to deal with ignorant tenants and a rude, nasty boss!! So uncool what he said. (((HUGS)))
Old 04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdumas View Post
Meeeegan, I you! I am sorry you are surrounded by horrible, wicked people. I was a landlord for 10 years so I feel your pain. If I win the lottery I promise to get you out!
Ooooohh.... sounds good to me! bwahahha!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

This sounds so frustrating! So sorry Megan (((hugs)))
Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

{{hugs}} I definitely would look that man right in the face and say have you EVER heard of SEXUAL HARRASSMENT? Well it applies here...do we really want to go there? ...and then walk away (let him think on that). I had a boss that thought he could put his COLD hands down the back of my shirt to warm them up...until I said that to him...he never said another "off" thing or touched me EVER again. He sure minded his P's and Q's after that point. I think you should say it though...then there is none of the male "glazing over" or anything...it comes straight from you.

As far as the rentals...they did sign a contract and that is not your fault. I have never found a 9 month rental contract in all the years I lived in an apartment! The tenants are just being mean...and they are the ones that signed the agreement...you didn't FORCE them...it was their stupidity for not reading it in the first place. Just say "Sorry...that is the agreement you DID sign."

Do you have a sign on your door about hours or do not disturb after such & such time? Maybe even have a sign that packages can only be picked up between certain hours. Good luck!

...and why would you think we wouldn't read your post or offer suggestion and support??? We love ya!