Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM
Default PSA of sorts on flash

Twas an interesting yet beautiful weekend for me. So much so that I had to write this up. Ever wonder why photographers are so strict about flash and other cameras? Here you go. And please for the love of all things scrappy turn that daggone flash off at weddings.

facebook
Old 11-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i have never thought about how other people's flash would interfere with yours. hmmm.....thanks for this. not that i ever do that, but its good to know!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Just posted this on my FB, I hope my friends will get out of the way
Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I totally understand! I was at my cousin's wedding last May and OMG everyone was flashing away. I took photos of the rehearsal but decided to leave my camera in the bag for the ceremony and bridal party portraits. One of the cousins of the groom was taking photos and after the wedding posted them to a flicker account with prices! I was totally shocked at his nerve!

So question...if a person has their flash turned off, is manually focusing and is taking photos, will this set off the professional's flashes or are they triggered by the flash signal? I was just wondering this out of curiosity.

I think it plain comes down to people's rudeness and the fact that so many people have cameras/SLRs and there "seems" to be no true skill anymore. But I personally know how HARD it is to get a good shot with a large group or event and that your explanation is very thorough. I think that both parties parents should be in charge of letting their guests know that YOU are the paid photographer and should not take any photos unless directed to by you (give them a few to make them happy). At the wedding I went to it seemed like the grooms parents were the main culprits in the taking of the flashy photos during the entire shoot.

Sorry Amy! I wish people were a little more thoughtful before they start!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I knew about the flash messing with the exposure, so I never take flash photos during events like that. But it hadn't occured to me that the photographers flash might be triggered by my camera, that's interesting. Is that something that you've run into a lot? I don't think a manual focus/no-flash shot would set it off though right? Because it's not sending out the infrared?

I lugged my camera stuff to a friends wedding to snap some shots in the beginning of October. Besides having the craziest day ever and running around like a nut to help out the bridal party, I got into the church and it was SO DARK. I was super disappointed, but I knew that I couldn't take any shots. My flash was not only most likely not allowed in the church, but would also mess with the paid photog. I literally have 1 picture that a random stranger snapped of hubby and I, and that's it. Disappointing, but those are the breaks.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm the official photographer for our exchange student events for my mom's company. When they were bulliding, everyone was snapping shots with flash, and it was killing all of my shots by changing the lighting right when I was taking a photograph. I finally had to ask one particularly snap-happy lady to either turn her flash off, or stop taking photos, and I'd email her mine.

Thank you for the PSA!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

Hey Colleen! I sat here yesterday and tested it off and on, was going to turn the lights off and make a video of it so you could see it happen. Of course from the living room, the 2nd camera flash never set off my flash. Who knows why. Sometimes speedlights behave sometimes they don't. Guess I need to be more clear about the camera part....flash not being on shouldn't bother it a bit. The trick is not to accidentally hit a button that does turn flash back on. That is so easy to do, I've done it myself quite a few times!

I really hope I was nice and didn't sound snippy or anything. Always afraid of how I come across to folks online.

facebook
Old 11-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Oh no, I believe you. It just hadn't occured to me is all.

You were totally nice, and I even learned something. Win win!