Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question What brand of laptop?

So we're thinking about getting a new laptop (under $400) and I don't want to get a Dell again, which is what we've always gotten. Which brand do you have and why do you like it?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I bought a Toshiba when I was pregnant with my last kid (July 2009), it's bare bottoms and it was a steal at $279 bucks but it is still going strong and I LOVE IT!!! I'm going to be in the market for one sometime this year (my battery on this one is shot because I always kept it plugged in) and I will most definitely be getting another Toshiba!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I've always been an HP girl, but they're usually more expensive than that. This one is about 4 years old now I think, and I'll likely be replacing it with a desktop this year, just because I rarely move it from my desk, lol.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This one is going to my hubby's home recording studio because he'd always keep it plugged in which is fine because the battery charger is shot. If the power cord slips out just a few millimeters it shuts down.

Does anyone have an Asus? That's what hubby has for work and it seems like an okay laptop.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My hubby has one of the Asus netbooks and it's going strong. The battery doesn't like not being charged all the time though. He might get one hour tops without it plugged in.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have 3 Toshiba laptops in our house, I loved mine so much I bought one for my Dad, he loved his so much that he bought one for my Mum. I have a Dell laptop at work but I really don't like it and our IT man is starting to change all of our Dell laptops to Toshiba's which is a good recomendation to me
Old 01-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had a Toshiba that was great until my memory-sucking programs outgrew it. The battery in it didn't last long though. I have an Asus now and I love it.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have only ever owned HP. Their customer service however leaves a lot to be desired. I had to deal with them one week after buying the computer when the charger went out. It took almost an hour to go through their tests to get a new one. My battery went out almost exactly one year after I bought it and HP support was not helpful at all.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a HP and a Acer laptop. We like them both. Before the Acer we had a Sony. (I spilt o.j. on that laptop...not a good day!) Never had any issues with any of them.

good luck deciding!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Gateway NV series and the thing is being awesome. We bought it in a rush to have any way to connect to the internet right after we moved. I guess it's a new brand. Pretty fast, I have to say.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My last couple of laptops have been HPs, and I've been very happy with them. I don't know how their lower cost laptops are, or what price they start at, though.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Toshiba my last one was almost 5 yrs old and my new one my dh bought for me @ Best Buy for super cheap. My dd also has a Toshiba.
I really like them b/c they are so good and never had issues with em, hope I don't have to bite my tongue :/
Windows 7 Home Premium
Satellite C655D
1.30ghz
4.0 gb
64bit

Old 01-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh just wanted to add I just bought my daughter an HP 17 inch laptop. I think hers was 2.2 gigahertz, 6 gigabytes RAM, 750 gigabyte hard drive, 64 bit with a DVD-R or DVD-RW drive. It was 404 dollars plus change. It was right before Christmas I bought it online on Best Buy. Mine was basically identical to hers except hers has a smooth finish and mine does not. I am happy with the quality of my HP laptops and desktops except for the quality of their customer service
Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a toshiba and my last 2 laptops have been that too - this is by far my best one for digi scrapping

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have an HP and I do not like it. There were a bunch very similar to ours that were recalled because of battery fires but, of course, ours was not. Nevertheless, the battery gets really hot and often the computer just over heats and shuts itself off. I had to go out and buy one of those lapdesks that has a fan in it to pull heat away from the laptop. It's also extremely slow came loaded up with a bunch of cr*p that we never needed in the first place. I won't be getting another HP.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am no help...I have a Dell Studio 17...it's a few years old and was over $800!! Yikes! I am shipping around for a new computer but haven't decided if I want another laptop or get a desktop so I can get a 24 inch monitor!!

I will be watching this thread...

Last edited by kim21673; 01-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Another Asus girl here! They are not a well-known brand commercially, but Asus has been making motherboards for other computers for decades. All the large corporations and/or government I have worked for has always used Asus or Lenovo.

Funny thing, contrary to the other stories I see here, my Asus battery runs FOR.EV.ER. I can keep my lappy unplugged for seriously like 4-6 hours. I think it can depend on the number of cells in your battery, though. My Asus is fast and lightweight, too.

Before my Asus I did have 3 Toshibas that I was pleased with for the most part.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Oh and I worked for HP and I'd never buy one.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just inherited the hubs' HP laptop, and this one he got back in 2007 and it's still pretty good
Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaGardner View Post
All the large corporations and/or government I have worked for has always used Asus or Lenovo.
I was wondering about Lenovo...I think Future Shop carries those but wasn't sure if they were a good brand or not since I've never heard of them. I thought it was a cheapy Future Shop brand like their Insignia stuff.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm149 View Post
I had a Toshiba that was great until my memory-sucking programs outgrew it. The battery in it didn't last long though. I have an Asus now and I love it.
Same here, except I have a Mac now and love it. My sister had the same Toshiba laptop I did though and her's lasted a lot longer (like 5 years?) so I think I was just extra hard on it because mine was dead after 2.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a Dell XPS laptop and it's going strong after 4-5 years. I don't have Windows installed on it. I use a Linux operating system called Ubuntu 10.04 which runs more efficiently. Windows would've bogged it down so much.

I wouldn't get an HP or Compaq. I have an HP laptop at work and I hate it. It has Windows XP and runs so slow at times. My mom has a Compaq and she complains about it often enough that I don't even want it.

I'm a Dell person so I'm of no help lol

Acer is another brand that I would stay away from. I've heard Sony is good but that depends on who you talk to about it. Some said it runs well and others said it was crap.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennilyn View Post
I was wondering about Lenovo...I think Future Shop carries those but wasn't sure if they were a good brand or not since I've never heard of them. I thought it was a cheapy Future Shop brand like their Insignia stuff.
Lenovo bought out IBM. I've never had one of their laptops but have only heard good things about them.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1526, and I love it, but last the battery has stopped charging. However, it's 4 yrs old and probably needs to be replaced I'd definitely get a Dell again...after our family's experiences with HP, we'd never buy one of their computers again.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

another Toshiba girl here. I had three HP ones before that. My desktop is a HP and i've always been a HP lover, till I got that toshiba on QVC and fell in love. it's 4 years old and going strong. My 20 year old has the same one and he drags it EVERYWHERE. Been dropped, spilled on, you name it and you just can't kill it. OUrs are 17inch and have full keyboard with numbers and everything, love it!!

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 01-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd love to get another Dell as we've bought 3 of them in the past, but just can't afford their laptops right now unless they have a really good deal on.