Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default House update - need positive thoughts

For the longest time, I've been wanting to buy a bi-generation (is that a word in English?) house - a house four our family with an attached independent unit for my mother, so that she can see her grandchildren growing up. I'm really close to my mother and we have a great relationship and know our boundaries, so I know this will work out.

So anyway, we've been visiting and visiting and did not find what we were looking for, so we were going to build, except there is not many land available around here and it's really expensive because you have to include a well and septic system.

A couple of weeks ago, we found a great house, great location, everything, but the offer fell through at the last minute because the owner decided to change his price and added 30 K. That was after a verbal agreement had been reached, so it was not exactly legal, but we decided to move on anyways.

Yesterday, we found another house that we love and would work, on 1 acre of land, just outside the city, 10km from DH's job, 25 from mine, with a bus stop at the corner of the road, two houses down - I need to take the bus to downtown Ottawa for work. We put down an offer and got an exceptional deal, so we're just hopping that the water test (needed since it's a well) and inspection are ok. We also need to sell our house and my mother's condominium within two months. Also, we need to design and order a new kitchen (and buy new appliances) since the one in the house does not work for us. We are also planning to paint and finish the ceiling in the basement, that will be a huge playroom for the kiddos.

I'm just wishing that the process goes smoothly and we can actually move by July 1st. House hunting have been wearing us thin and we are really stressed right now. Here's a link to the property, the entrance/parking space is huge, lol!

http://www.remax-quebec.com/fr/inscr...source=centris
Old 02-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

good luck!!

See I love that kitchen I <3 stainless steel..what would you get?

also is it common there to have the laundry room in the bathroom? Here it's usually a separate room on it's own, in the garage, or in a hallway...just curious

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wow... what a beautiful house - those rooms are HUGE!! I noticed last spring during the builder's showcases that houses with mother-in-law suites are becoming more popular around here... I think it's a great idea!

Good luck, sweetie!! Lots of good luck vibes coming your way for quick sales! I've got the "I want a new house" bug so bad... but the sheer thought of having to house hunt and get our house ready for sale is so daunting!!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
good luck!!

See I love that kitchen I <3 stainless steel..what would you get?

also is it common there to have the laundry room in the bathroom? Here it's usually a separate room on it's own, in the garage, or in a hallway...just curious
I know, the kitchen looks good in the pics, but it really needs work when you see it up close. We are also not modern-style people, so we are going to go with something like this... the antiquing is black, the hardware would be black, to go with the floors and the appliances would be stainless steel - here appliances are rarely included with the house.

Also, our laundry room is on the second floor in the kids' bathroom, you just don't see it. They were standing next to the laundry set when they took this pic. It's really common to have them in the bathroom around here. Usually, the garage is too cold in the winter to have the laundry appliances in them. You can also see them in the basement quite frequently.

The other bathroom with the laundry set is actually the one in my mother's unit. She is going to install doors to hide them. She also has the second kitchen pictured - the one with the holes where the appliances go. Her kitchen is brand new, the space was never used.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Super pretty house! I will be thanking about you guys.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Banned

profile gallery

That house is gorgeous, Nanie! I will keep you in my prayers and hope the deal goes through. It will be wonderful to have your mother there to spend time with her grandbabies.

I grew-up with my grandmother living in her own "apartment" within my childhood home, too. I also had several friends with similar arrangements both then and now. I'm not sure if it's our heritages - I'm Armenian and they're Italian and Mexican - but we tend to keep our aging family members within the home. I don't think it's as common throughout the US, but it's probably becoming more and more common as healthcare continues to be expensive. I know an addition had to be built onto our home back then.

It was a wonderful way to grow-up and I hope your children have the same lasting memories I have.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
I know, the kitchen looks good in the pics, but it really needs work when you see it up close. We are also not modern-style people, so we are going to go with something like this... the antiquing is black, the hardware would be black, to go with the floors and the appliances would be stainless steel - here appliances are rarely included with the house.

Also, our laundry room is on the second floor in the kids' bathroom, you just don't see it. They were standing next to the laundry set when they took this pic. It's really common to have them in the bathroom around here. Usually, the garage is too cold in the winter to have the laundry appliances in them. You can also see them in the basement quite frequently.
oh i like that kitchen too

Yah I saw the washer/dryer on another pic that's what prompted me to ask...had never seen a set in the bathroom like that before.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Gorgeous, fingers crossed Sweets! Keep us posted

Guesting for Traci Reed

•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Gorgeous!!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Love that house! P & PT coming your way, Nanie!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Wow, beautiful! We bought our house in October 2010 - very fresh in my mind - so I know how nerve-wrecking it is going through the process, waiting until the last minute to know if everything works out, trying not to be too excited, but being excited anyway. It's a roller-coaster experience but the payoff is so great. I loved dreaming up ideas for how to decorate, paint, wallpaper, etc. and when I actually got to make them happen, the stressful parts were all worth it. We love our house.

Good luck - positive thoughts sent your way!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Gorgeous! And I am surprised that housing prices are cheaper in Ottawa than Kelowna. Crazy sunshine tax! And that is my dream kitchen, from the photos anyway I hope it works out for you guys.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That area is beautiful Stéphanie! I had friends that lived around you and it was so great feeling like they lived in the country but were only 10-15 minutes to Les Promenades! I really hope it works out for you. If I can help with advertising the selling of your home and your mom's condo, let me know. We have an electronic bulletin board at my work where you can post homes for sale. It would be accessible to about 5000 persons.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That's gorgeous Stephanie... fingers crossed for you!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Gorgeous house Nanie! Can you ship the appliances to me lol. But I do love the countertops you want! Good luck with everything!!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow! Congrats! It's really gorgeous. I personally love that kitchen too.
And I'm surprised you get such a big, luxureous house for that price over there. Houses are far more expensive here!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

that is gorgeous and I love the current kitchen and the kitchen you are thinking about putting in...keping my fingers crossed for you guys!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

It's beautiful! I'll be sending good vibes that all goes smoothly. Buying/selling a house (houses!) is so stressful. ♥
Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I grew-up with my grandmother living in her own "apartment" within my childhood home, too. I also had several friends with similar arrangements both then and now. I'm not sure if it's our heritages - I'm Armenian and they're Italian and Mexican - but we tend to keep our aging family members within the home. I don't think it's as common throughout the US, but it's probably becoming more and more common as healthcare continues to be expensive. I know an addition had to be built onto our home back then.
Yep, it might be a cultural thing, we see these kinds of extended-family living arrangements more and more. DH grew up with his grandmother living in the basement apartment of their house. I really think it's going to be beneficial for the kiddos.

Quote:
Gorgeous! And I am surprised that housing prices are cheaper in Ottawa than Kelowna. Crazy sunshine tax! And that is my dream kitchen, from the photos anyway I hope it works out for you guys.
That's because we are on the Quebec side of the river. Pretty sure a similar house in Ottawa would sell for 650-700 k.

Quote:
That area is beautiful Stéphanie! I had friends that lived around you and it was so great feeling like they lived in the country but were only 10-15 minutes to Les Promenades! I really hope it works out for you. If I can help with advertising the selling of your home and your mom's condo, let me know. We have an electronic bulletin board at my work where you can post homes for sale. It would be accessible to about 5000 persons.
Thank you Kiki! I'll definetely keep your offer in mind. Right now, we both have interested buyers, but if the deals don't work, I'll pm you! Do you work downtown Ottawa?

Quote:
Wow! Congrats! It's really gorgeous. I personally love that kitchen too.
And I'm surprised you get such a big, luxureous house for that price over there. Houses are far more expensive here!
Yes, it is a great deal. It's actually worth more than the selling price, so we are getting a great deal. Add that to the fact that it's on an acre of land, and we couldn't ask for a more perfect home.

Thank you everybody, I'll keep you posted as soon as I get fresh news, going to sign some contracts tonight!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Gorgeous house, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

wow it looks gorgeous!! good luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow - what a gorgeous house!! Sending you lots of postitive thoughts today!!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Beautiful! Good luck, Stephanie.

As a fellow Northern (though northern US), our washer/dryers are also in bathrooms or basements, never garages, way too cold. Meg is in that warm Georgia weather though where you won't freeze your butt off doing the laundry in January.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Stephanie, what a gorgeous home! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that everything goes smoothly and that everything happens in a timely fashion for you, your family & your Mom....
Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

That is a beautiful home! Best of luck to you!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So nice! I hope you get it!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE the stone on the outside.

I'm from the midwest where our washers and dryers are usually in the laundry room--its own separate room that is either in the basement or the main floor if you are lucky. I have never in my sheltered little life heard of a laundry room in the garage. I really need to get out more! I need to go see some of my SSD friends living in various locations and get a more worldly view!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Oh - good luck, Stephanie! The house is beautiful! We just bought our first house back in November.. it was relatively painless, but I remember how nerve-wracking it was waiting to be sure everything went through like it should..
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's beautiful!!! Sending positive thoughts!

Penny
Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Stephanie its Beautiful!!!! Wishing you all the best with getting everything locked down, sold, fixed up and the whole lot!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So pretty! Those rooms are huge!!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yay! Great update! The real estate agent actually already sold my mom's condominium, the offer we made was accepted so all that's left is the inspection and selling our house. I'm kinda getting a little excited, but still cautious.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Banned

profile gallery

So happy for you, Nanie! Still keeping those fingers crossed for you!