Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Endometrial Abalation?

Just looked up this thread because my dr. was talking about this (NovaSure) as one of my options - my cycles are out of control more and more the older I get and the pain is like prescription pain killer bad.

My question is, anyone/everyone still happy with it?? Any down sides??

My other question is would be did it help with cramping? because that is a big issue for me, even mid cycle lately :/

oh - and, does any one have a good reason to just do a uterine hystorectomy instead??

(I really don't want to go the hormonal bc/mirena route here so those are basically my options)

Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I have Mirena but I know several people who have done ablation (usually along with either Essure or tubal ligation) and they're all super happy with it. Not sure about the cramping but maybe I can ask around.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i've actually been thinking of it too. i've got a couple friends that have done it and love it. My hubby is snipped, but I'm still thinking of doing it because of how heavy my periods are. One of my friends says she only has light spotting now when her period is due. I bet you anything it helps lessens or get rid of cramps!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I actually just had an ablation done at the end of December. My doctor said it would take 2 or 3 months to be able to tell if it "worked" or not, so the jury is still out on how happy I am with it. LOL My periods were awful before though, so I'd happily take even a partial improvement.

I've heard mixed answers on the cramping thing from medical professionals. I've been told that it DOES help with the cramping because you aren't actually having a period, but a friend of mine had it done a few years ago and says she still gets mild cramps when she was supposed to have her period (she doesn't ever actually have the period itself though).

You def want to consider another form of birth control with it though (I've had a tubal) because pregnancy after an ablation is extremely dangerous and likely can't be carried to term (that's what I've heard anyway).
Old 01-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah G has the big V, no babies in my future. I wouldn't be opposed to getting my tubes tied too, we talked a little about that.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Libby - was your recovery pretty short and sweet?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yep! The first day was super crampy, but nothing that some ibuprofen, a heating pad, and a nap didn't help. Day 2, I was still a teensy bit groggy from the anesthesia (I'm a light weight with that stuff), but by the third day, i was pretty much recovered. I spotted a little for a couple of weeks after, which the doctor said was to be expected. But overall, it was a really simple recovery.

If you'll recall, I had the surgery done at noon on a Friday, and I was still around that night to do the SSD news. LOL So, it really wasn't bad.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
If you'll recall, I had the surgery done at noon on a Friday, and I was still around that night to do the SSD news. LOL So, it really wasn't bad.
That's because you're a super star!! <3 Thanks for answering my questions!

Old 01-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My cramps are 100% better. Every so often I'll get a little twinge or very mild discomfort that doesn't last long, so barely any. I'd be in serious pain for days every cycle previously, I'd cramp like I was in labor. I also had very long and extremely heavy, gross periods.

Hormone therapy did not work for me and a hysterectomy was a last resort. I had the procedure and took it fairly easy that day and the next but I was fine, I'm not great with anesthesia so that was worse than anything having to do with the actual procedure.

I'm a year out and it's been so great. I still have some symptoms, I get a bit emo a week or so out and I have fibrocystic breasts that flare worse with my cycle. It's all good though, I've had a couple months where I've had a tiny bit of spotting but that's it. It's been one of the best things I've done for myself and really my family too, because I would be miserable and physically ill every month and they'd have to deal with me too
Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had it done last March and the procedure itself was no big deal at all. I elected to have it done in office and the only mistake I made was eating too soon afterwards (I was starving!) and the pain meds (Percocet) ended up making me sick to my stomach. But other than that I was fine by the next day. I switched to 800mg ibuprofen and had spotting for about 2.5 weeks I think. It didn't work 100% for me though, I still have a light period/spotting for maybe 2-3 days each month but it is so much better than it was before. I also don't get cramps anymore so it did help with that, did not help with my crazy mood swings though (much to my DH's disappointment lol). I would definitely have it done again if I had the choice!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just had this done on December 4th. While it is still too early to really tell if it's worked or not, I will say this is the best I have felt in MANY MANY years! I had been bleeding very heavily for just over 2 years straight (but Ive had this issue my entire adult life), every single day. I was miserable, to say the least. I had only very little spotting for 2 days after surgery and not a spot since then! Im in heaven right now, lol. My doctor has said he's confident I have had a successful ablation, but if not then we will do the hysterectomy immediately as I can't even stand the thought of going back to that everyday bleeding again. As for the surgery itself, it was done at a surgical center. I was home within a couple hours and that night I had some pretty awful pain (it was more of a bloating, heavy pressure.. not pain like a knife in me, lol), but nothing that a heavy dose of motrin didn't fix. I woke up the next day and felt 10000% percent. I remember looking at my husband and saying I haven't felt this good in years! Its nice to have that time back in my pocket to use wherever I want to use it, instead of in the bathroom a million times a day - I like having the money back in my pocket too! lol

For now, Im glad I made this choice instead of hysterectomy. I'd do it again in a heart beat!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

By the way... as a side note, my doc put me on Mirena to see if it would help slow down the bleeding while I was doing labs, insurance approval, etc etc etc... both of my docs knew how desperate I was, it was effecting my emotional state, lol :-) The mirena, within about 4 days of it being put in, caused me to itch all over my body (mostly upper body) realllllly bad, every evening. I was scratching all over like I was a dang cat or something! It was the oddest thing ever. I read many reviews online of others who experienced this same issue. Needless to say, I am sooo happy that was removed during my eblation surgery! The itching stopped within about 3 days of surgery/removal.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been wondering about this too. My periods are awful, I've been thinking about going back on the pill just to help with the cramps and heaviness.

And I just want remind everyone about my wonderful, perfect 15 month old son that I got pregnant with 4 years after having my tubes tied.

Hubby got the snip this time.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My best friend had an ablation about 4 years ago and has been SO happy since then, no real issues at all. My dr put me on bc pills about two years ago to deal with that heavy bleeding and they have worked for me. I think the ablation is the next thing on the list if it stops helping.

This is no fair... men don't have any of this stuff.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You guys pretty much have me sold, I'm waiting on a biopsy (did you ladies have one of those before hand too?) But when she gives me those results I'm going to schedule it. Thank gods for modern medicine!

Old 01-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I just had a regular pap and an ultrasound before mine. Then the nurse called to schedule the ablation.

My doctor prefers to do them right after your period ends, and he only does them on Fridays. So, it was kind of tricky, with Christmas, trying to guess when I might be finished with my period (since my weird cycle was the reason for this whole thing). I was very fortunate though that the date we scheduled (like 2 months out) ended up being about 2 days after my period.

I forgot to mention that my doctor had suggested, at first, that I should go back on the pill to try to fix my cycle. Unfortunately, since I have a blood clotting disorder (that he'd forgotten about), that wasn't an option for me. I didn't want to consider a hysterectomy cause that's a pretty major ordeal, and my problem wasn't THAT bad... I'd rather live with it for now than have a hysterectomy. So, for me, the ablation seemed like a logical choice.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I had the ablation done in March 2012. The procedure itself and healing after wasn't bad at all. I was up walking the boys to school the next day. My procedure didn't work though. I still bled pretty much 24/7....I might have had one or two days out of the month that I wasn't spotting or full out bleeding. It sucked.

I had a hysterectomy in August 2012 and couldn't be happier!!!!! I am SO thankful I don't have to deal with any of that crap anymore!!!!! No hormonal side effects (they kept my ovaries). I am extremely happy!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I am so glad you started this thread. I have an appt tues am to talk to my dr about my extremely heavy periods... and i think i may ask her about this. I'm convinced after reading this thread.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I'm old - lol - last year at 51 had an ablation done for horrible bleeding. I had it done in October and it was no big deal - but had worse cramping continually and bleeding. I am a nurse and the doctor said the procedure was perfect - but did not work for me . I ended up having a hysterectomy in December. I am so happy i did. Now i have a lot of friends that have had great results with the ablation _ so i would still recommend it first before a hysterectomy! Good luck - either way - do something and dont suffer for years like i did - it is worth it!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Best thing I've ever done! I'm lucky and have not had a period in over 3 years. I still get hormonal - but I just pretend that it's all my husbands fault :-)

My BF had it done and it did not cut out her periods all together but they are regular and light with no cramping. Her cramps used to keep her in bed one day a month :-(

Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for this thread. A very good friend had one and has been extremely happy with it. I have to do something soon because I am extremely anemic due to my heavy periods. It's great to see so many success stories.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You rock Shawna! So glad you started this thread. My dr. had been talking to me about this for about a year, but I have yet to go through with it.

Thanks babe.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczos911 View Post
You rock Shawna! So glad you started this thread. My dr. had been talking to me about this for about a year, but I have yet to go through with it.

Thanks babe.
Awesome!! I'm feeling really good about it now too

Old 01-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to RealRach

Had it about a year and half ago...COULDN"T BE HAPPIER!! Nothing, not even mild cramps here! I was not able to go an hour without a change in outfits...(read accidents due to heavy flow) So any improvement was a good one. I have not spotted or anything since. I will add that I have had two other friends do it and it was NOT successful for them. Both ended up doing a partial.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Shawna, I indeed did have a 'surgical biopsy' done, as the doctor called it. But it sounds scarier then it was. It was really more like an intense pap smear - it did hurt during it, but just a tad bit, nothing awful. It was done in office. I also had a pap done, an mri done, an ultrasound (2 of them), and tons of lab/blood work done.

I wish you much luck, and I hope it makes you as happy as mine has made me. I feel like a whole new person - seriously. This is the best I have felt in many many many years. Im so happy.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I know you don't want to go hormonal, but if you want to talk about Mirena, I can help with that.