Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-10-2018, 04:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Who here drinks wine?

We are not wine drinkers, or any alcohol actually, and I need a recommendation for a good (but affordable... haha) wine for a gift.

Long story short, we're a military family and the Dept of the Army has been messing with our orders for months now-- pushing the dates, cancelling them on us, re-instating them, etc and we've been hanging on a thread the whole time. Talk about stressful. We found a house we loved at our new duty station, in a great school district and sent the deposit 6 weeks ago. The landlords have been so accommodating and have held it this long for us without anything other than the security deposit. They're military so they know just how little control we have over these things but still it's obviously taken some cash out of their pockets to let the house sit empty so long.

Anyways, we wanted to do something as a little thanks for them (and the property manager) for being so flexible and understanding. I was thinking a bottle of wine and maybe some chocolates or something like that? Do you guys have any brand/kind recommendations? Or any other great ideas? I'm pushed for time and have no crafty supplies available to me right now so it's gotta be grab and go, sign a card and be done type thing. Lol...

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't drink wine but all of my friends do.
Costco has a really good Prosecco (white sparkly) brand is La Marca. I think $11 a bottle. Their Kirkland brand is also very good for Prosecco and Champagne.

Tamarack Firehouse Red is also a good one (says my friend). Hope this helps a little.
And she avoids Californian wines because too sweet. Italians and French are usually good.

Last edited by Leablahblah; 12-10-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love white wine but hate red! Do you know if they have a preference?
Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I love white wine but hate red! Do you know if they have a preference?
Nope, for all I know they hate wine?! Lol... I just figured wine b/c that's the typical housewarming/dinner guest type gift. If nothing else they can regift it but it's the thought that counts right? :P
Old 12-10-2018, 06:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I don't drink wine but all of my friends do.
Costco has a really good Prosecco (white sparkly) brand is La Marca. I think $11 a bottle. Their Kirkland brand is also very good for Prosecco and Champagne.

Tamarack Firehouse Red is also a good one (says my friend). Hope this helps a little.
And she avoids Californian wines because too sweet. Italians and French are usually good.
Thanks for the suggestions! There's a Costco in our little town so that would be super convenient!
Old 12-10-2018, 07:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like wine... I'm definitely not a connoisseur.

I second the idea of Costco. I bought a couple of bottles that are really pretty (I know...you're not supposed to buy for the label, etc), and they were really good!! One was a rose - the cork was topped with glass and the bottom of the bottle was a rose cutout. I'm trying to see if I took a picture of it.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well UGH!! I must not have taken a picture, which totally astounds me because there's a whole story about it! Oh well... I would recommend the rose in the bottle that has a rose cutout in the bottom of it.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So here's my thoughts on this....while you want to gift them wine, which is very thoughtful. What happens if they aren't wine or alcohol drinkers themselves?

Me, myself - I would get them a thank you card and put an Amazon gift card in there so they can get something they want/need. That way you aren't giving them something they may or may not use and they can get something they may want or need.

That's my two cents.

By the way, I can't WAIT to see your new place and hear all about it! I'm just a phone call away if you need anything!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Well UGH!! I must not have taken a picture, which totally astounds me because there's a whole story about it! Oh well... I would recommend the rose in the bottle that has a rose cutout in the bottom of it.
Is it this one?
http://www.gerard-bertrand.com/en/wi...ote-des-roses/
Old 12-10-2018, 09:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Yes!! Wow... you're good!

I'm still flabbergasted that I forgot to take pictures!!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Yes!! Wow... you're good!

I'm still flabbergasted that I forgot to take pictures!!
I just googled "what wine has a rose on the bottom + Costco" and it's the first one that came up. The bottle is really pretty! I'm shocked you DIDN'T take a photo of it!!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I just googled "what wine has a rose on the bottom + Costco" and it's the first one that came up. The bottle is really pretty! I'm shocked you DIDN'T take a photo of it!!
Right??!!!
I even kept it on the counter for a couple of weeks because it was too pretty to throw away!!!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You guys are cracking me up, lol. Just go to your local grocery store and pick up any Cab in the $10-12 range and you're good. If your price range is $20, get a Coppola. It's truly the thought that counts and if they don't use it, the'll serve it when they have guests over, either way it will definitely get used.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

The Buttercream Chardonnay at Total Wine is my new favorite wine. it's SO good!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 12-11-2018, 12:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
You guys are cracking me up, lol. Just go to your local grocery store and pick up any Cab in the $10-12 range and you're good. If your price range is $20, get a Coppola. It's truly the thought that counts and if they don't use it, the'll serve it when they have guests over, either way it will definitely get used.
I love people who are able to be decisive!! My best friend is like that. I think that's one of the reasons we get along so well
Old 12-12-2018, 01:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't drink, but $21 for three bottles sounds like a good deal. I'm passing this along to you:

Get 3 bottles of wine for $5 each plus a small ship fee-> https://rstyle.me/ad/h7xm9scc5c7
You take a quiz and they send you 3 bottles of wine they recommend. It then signs you up for their monthly wine club BUT you can cancel anytime before then (so make sure to do so if you do not want subsequent shipments- cancelling is very easy)!

You can always have it shipped to your new house and then you have one for each of your landlord and property manager with one to spare!!
Old 12-12-2018, 01:22 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Here's the thing about people who love wine: they always like to try a new kind. And the thing about people who don't know much about wine: they can't tell the difference. So, you're good either way! One way I try a new bottle is to see which one has the most spaces at the front of the shelf... like it was purchased recently. Trader Joe's has great wine for an affordable price. I think wine and a nice wedge of cheese and summer sausage is a great gift. Chocolates are good too!