Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-10-2020, 02:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Consolation prize for non-picked babes????

I think we should all get an open door to join the teams here we'd like to....right?

Ha ha....just kidding. Trying to lighten the mood b/c I know lots of members will be bummed after not getting chosen for a BABE spot. But...totally understandable b/c there is soooo much talent here and hard working members that they can't pick them all unfortunately.

For those who still covet a spot, keep trying at the next call whenever it comes up. For others, like me, it might be time to just appreciate what you have here at SSD and enjoy it. Don't stress about what ifs or what didn't happen.

I'm not ever going to apply again, instead I'm going to focus on my good fortune of being on a few great teams here and maybe I'll get onto another 1 or 2 at some point when something comes up. That's going to be my focus....scrap for my designers and have fun. Enjoy all that SSD has to offer.

I believe in moving foward, being positive and be grateful for what you have.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I think we should all get an open door to join the teams here we'd like to....right?

But if we are dreaming of that, why not go big and dream of being a Babe . . . .

I'm sorry you didn't get a spot, Rae. I wish I could give all of those who didn't get the answer they wanted to hear/see a big, giant hug!

I am so happy and so proud of those five ladies and can't wait to see how they bring new life to the forums, gallery and community!!
Old 03-10-2020, 02:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wendy - I just love your siggy! This one is so cheery and love the messy paint on it!

As for not getting a babe spot, I'm ok with it. Everything happens for a reason, it just wasn't in the cards for me. I think this was my 3rd try so its time for me to retire that dream. I will focus on having fun with the designer goodies I get. Believe me, I am so grateful for the amazing designers I create for.

I'm sooo happy for the girls that got in. They all deserve it.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think 4th rejection for me which sucks but I had to put my name in the hat so to speak because I would have always regretted it. I don’t think I can take any more rejection though and won’t be applying again, my heart cannot take it again lol.

There’s a few teams I would like to be on here at SSD so hopefully in the future they have calls.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:08 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Hey girls!

I just want to say... never stop trying. If it's something you want, keep going for it. Seriously... you don't know who was on our short list, those ladies we would have taken if we were adding 6 or 7 or 8 Babes, but alas, like you said Rae, we can't take everyone, so we have to narrow down / draw a line somehow.

We are acutely aware of how disappointing these calls can be, especially with such amazing scrappers here, but I hope you guys know how much we love and appreciate you for putting yourselves out there for us to consider. We really do think ALL of you are AMAZING!

<3

R
Old 03-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
Hey girls!

I just want to say... never stop trying. If it's something you want, keep going for it. Seriously... you don't know who was on our short list, those ladies we would have taken if we were adding 6 or 7 or 8 Babes, but alas, like you said Rae, we can't take everyone, so we have to narrow down / draw a line somehow.

We are acutely aware of how disappointing these calls can be, especially with such amazing scrappers here, but I hope you guys know how much we love and appreciate you for putting yourselves out there for us to consider. We really do think ALL of you are AMAZING!

<3

R
Old 03-10-2020, 03:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Love you ladies!!!!!

Old 03-10-2020, 03:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hey girls!

<3

R
I totally agree with Robin. Do not stop applying. I am not sure how often I applied but it's been a few times for sure and, ask Rubia, I almost didn't apply this time (because I was convinced I wasn't going to be chosen) and then Jenna nominated me and so I decided to nominate myself too and look what happened. I wish I could all give you a huge hug but don't give up because, as Robin said, you are all amazing ! ♥
Old 03-10-2020, 03:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad I wasn't the one who had to make the choice, because I truly and honestly believe it was mission impossible.
Like people said before, never stop trying. I tried a few times as well, before becoming a Babe.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Robin, don't stop trying! I have been designing for almost 12 years and had been turned away for a spot here 3-4 times before I got an acceptance 3 years ago (wow, 3 years already!) I just kept plugging away and trying my hardest to make the changes needed to get where I wanted to be. I was designing almost 9 years before I got this spot. Don't give up!!
And thank you all for being a part of this sweet, sweet place!
Old 03-10-2020, 03:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the encouragement. Denials always get me thinking - how can I improve and wondering what others see and wishing there were constructive criticism given with rejections!
Old 03-10-2020, 03:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Awww, I am sorry that those of you who weren't selected feel down. Just know, there are only so many spots, so just because you weren't picked doesn't mean that there is anything not special or lesser about your pages. Not everyone great can get a spot because there just aren't enough of them. I would hate to EVER have to be the one making that call. Before I got my spot years ago I was rejected SO MANY times. The last time I applied I almost talked myself out of it, but then I got accepted! I'm sorry that you couldn't all be chosen, and I hope that it doesn't stop any of you from trying in the future.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-10-2020, 04:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's so sweet of all of you....Robin and everyone. I absolutely agree that are so many deserving and talented ladies here so I don't take offense at not getting picked and hope that no one else does either. I hope you all apply again when the opportunity arises. But...for some like me....enough is enough....no more trying. I will focus on the blessings I have here and have fun hanging out and (hopefully) scrapping for some of the amazing designers here.

It means a lot that you all come in here and say such sweet and nice things. It is such a caring community here.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The scrappers that were selected were on MANY individual designer CT's, so hopefully some of those designers will have a call soon!
Old 03-10-2020, 05:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
The scrappers that were selected were on MANY individual designer CT's, so hopefully some of those designers will have a call soon!
Yep Heather....silver lining Let's hope so!
Old 03-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hey girls!

<3

R
Thank you Robin, the hardest part is being left wondering each time you are turned down what can I do differently, can I improve in some way? I didn’t really take it personally this go round my life has a way of throwing me tough hits, geez my husband got hit by a bus after all. I’m hoping my free time returns again now that he was medically released back to work and I can get back to scrapping and jumping in more again. I’d love to be a babe but honestly after any call turn down first the disappointment hits then the Self doubt as a scrapper sets in but then it hits me once I sit down calm my soul and reflect ... I do this because I love it, yes it’s a dream to be a babe but I still get to enjoy a hobby I love around digi land and that’s pretty cool in itself. Not everyone can open a program they knew nothing about and a few years later be creating memoirs you love and are proud of,that in itself is a win for me. Thank you for the call looking forward to the next one.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That would be awesome!!
Old 03-10-2020, 05:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Through the years, I have learned that I don't want to change the way I scrap or scrap the way I think a site wants to see just to get onto a creative team. I'm scrapping for me and doing what makes me happy.

One day it might come down to being "my time", meaning, the site is looking for someone to fill a CT spot and they are looking for the kind of pages I scrap!

Like Heather mentioned, I *hope* the designers will be having a few calls - !! But until then, I'll keep busy scrapping with the lovely designs here @ SSD and enjoying the great community!!
Old 03-10-2020, 05:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sending you all hugs

I'm sorry some of you are bummed. I'm bummed I didn't EVEN GET to throw my hat in due to being in the middle of a move.

I am certain that the choice was a hard one to make. But I also understand the feeling of knowing when to let a dream go.

BIG HUGS TO YOU ALL!!!!
♥♥

Old 03-10-2020, 06:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I feel super sad for the girls who didn't get it. It's hard when there is so much talent and participation in our community.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
A girl can dream!

Old 03-10-2020, 08:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Oooooooo That would be nice!!! There are several I want to CT for!!!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-10-2020, 11:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Laura's new kit can be great inspiration to many of us!

Old 03-11-2020, 12:44 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Love the colors in the kit! Have all of y'all been on a ct before?
Old 03-11-2020, 03:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Ooooooh, I know nothing
Old 03-11-2020, 08:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancka View Post
Ooooooh, I know nothing
Biancka you're teasing!!
Old 03-11-2020, 08:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
Biancka you're teasing!!
i might be, who knows ???
Old 03-11-2020, 09:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
Thanks for all the encouragement. Denials always get me thinking - how can I improve and wondering what others see and wishing there were constructive criticism given with rejections!
Maybe we should create a thread for constructive criticism. Only post in it if you are willing to take others suggestions, and not take it too personally.

In the gallery, we only leave love. We don't give helpful hints "work on your shadows", "those colors don't quite work with your photos".

Maybe we need one thread, and if you chose to post in there, you chose to take the criticism also. Nothing negative about photos (because those are personal), quote the layout you want to give helpful hints on (since threads move fast and it could get jumbled and confusing). Just an idea to help us improve our scrapping and techniques.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry that all of you who applied couldn't be a Sugar Babe. I can't imagine being one of the ones who had to make the decision.

About constructive criticism. To me, scrapping is very personal. I scrap how I want; I usually don't care what the trend is. The photos are the most important part of all my layouts. Like JillW said, ". . . I don't want to change the way I scrap or scrap the way I think a site wants to see just to get onto a creative team. I'm scrapping for me and doing what makes me happy." I'm a very simple scrapper, and that is not the trend these days. I've been on several individual designers' CTs and one site CT, and the reason I got on those teams is because they wanted different styles, including simple scrapping.

Although I'm a simple scrapper, I love and appreciate seeing layouts in styles that are not my own. There are so many talented and creative scrappers here!! Keep them coming, girls!
Old 03-20-2020, 10:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziej View Post
About constructive criticism. To me, scrapping is very personal. I scrap how I want; I usually don't care what the trend is. The photos are the most important part of all my layouts. Like JillW said, ". . . I don't want to change the way I scrap or scrap the way I think a site wants to see just to get onto a creative team. I'm scrapping for me
Oh, I'm scrapping for me too! And my family, so we can relive those memories and remember the good times, and the everyday laughs and trials. But if I'm doing something really dumb that I'm not aware of, I'd like to know! I look at it as improving my skills. For example, I didn't know my shadows were not that realistic until I started observing others' shadows and using more shadow styles and tweaking them some. I never understood how other used multiple pattern papers without clashing until I asked what their secret was (they said to use different scales of patters, BTW). There's so much to learn, I'd love to learn from those that are better than I am, in everything I do, and scrapping is no exception!
Old 03-20-2020, 10:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
Through the years, I have learned that I don't want to change the way I scrap or scrap the way I think a site wants to see just to get onto a creative team. I'm scrapping for me and doing what makes me happy.

One day it might come down to being "my time", meaning, the site is looking for someone to fill a CT spot and they are looking for the kind of pages I scrap!

Like Heather mentioned, I *hope* the designers will be having a few calls - !! But until then, I'll keep busy scrapping with the lovely designs here @ SSD and enjoying the great community!!
I think this is perfect! I know it's hard to be turned down. I was so many times and when I finally did get a spot as a babe, it was for social media, not my scrapping.

I never changed the way I scrapped. I think we all have to remember that no matter what, our families are always going to love and appreciate our layouts, no matter what. They don't care about the layers, or shadows, they don't want you to change. They love what you're doing.

Creative teams are great, but I was cting for about 12 SSD designers back in 2009ish, I couldn't get a spot as a babe, I lost the joy of scrapping for a while. It became way too competitive, and heart crushing. My daughter was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 and then again in 2011. I left all my CT's pretty much, didn't scrap for a while and then finally the stars aligned a few years later for me to become a social media babe.

Keep throwing your name out there if that what brings you job. I applied at least 7 times. It took me 8 years I think to get a spot. Rejection sucks. Hugs! We think you're all amazing! I'm blown away by all of you.

Last edited by nesser1981; 03-20-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here is my take on all of this after three tries myself. I am one to get inside my own head way too much and you are about to see that firsthand. Getting inside my head is not always pretty and often harmful for me as I suffer from self-harm issues.

The first thing I go through is obviously the same as everyone else heartbreaking disappointment. I then start to question everything I do, my style, my ability, even myself as a person.

I worry that it’s because I have had so many family issues that called on me to be there for family first. Yet what I love about scrap-booking is the message from most is family first. I lost dream teams to put my husband first after he was hit by a bus, even after I would still choose him again, even knowing those teams are now unavailable to me.

I worry it’s because I’m too introverted, even though I’ve seen girls make it in the past who were obviously introverts too. I beat on myself over things I cannot change like my own personality. I worry it’s because I have had a past conflict with someone in the scrap world after being approached first by her. Yet I’ve seen girls make babe who openly lashed out and hurt others out of their own hurt and disappointment in the past in the forum. (my issue was outside the SSD forum and most probably do not even know of it) I get inside my own head thinking, worrying, stressing too much. I have always tried to be a kind person and hope those who know me see that.

I have spent the past two weeks tweaking and changing my style, only to be disappointed in myself and am now getting less love on my layouts then I did before I changed my layout look. I’ve had close friends disappointed in me for giving in to the “desired look” not sticking to my style. I’ve had people message me that I didn’t even know where following me inspired by me in the past asking me why I changed my style. Telling me they we shocked to not recognize pages by me recently until seeing my name attached. Telling me that they miss the look I created before, that my layouts were always recognizable to them but no longer are.

Now I question myself completely thinking how I can grow and still get the love I once got on my layouts. Truthfully, I will say feeling loved and excepted is important to me even on my layouts. I worry it’s because my layouts are NOT always SSD typical. I am an art major stepping out of the box is and will always be me, I love a challenge.

I worry it’s because I do not share my life stories in journaling on my pages, yet I see people blur out faces and think it’s no different they are providing privacy for that person though photographs. I am providing privacy for myself and my family and our stories. This is important as I am someone who has been stalked online in the past and probably still is stalked.

I worry it’s because I create so may pocket pages, but I find I love them because I can create a story without sharing the written story online. BTW for those of you worried I’m not saving stories for my family this way; I am my stories/journaling gets added later before printing for privacy.

I found myself questioning is it because I use a different program? Yes, I do use something different then CS, but I am here to say I can run circles all over my program and KNOW for fact I can do anything with it everyone else does with their programs.

What I am trying to say to all of you and YES even MYSELF is, we will never really know what it takes to make it each call, it could change upon the need that given year. I am hoping I can take my own advice here to get out our heads and just do what we love again document (in our own way) and create.

Will I apply again? YES will I change my style, MOST LIKELY YES, not just to make a SSD Babe spot but to grow myself. Growth in everything I do is and will always be vital to me. Now to get out of my head once again and move on to what I started in the first place loving to scrap.

Just do it for the love of scrap ladies and if it is meant to be it will fall into place.

Last edited by ellasspace; 03-21-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hugs Ella. I feel your disappointment and frustration. I know you are working thru the feelings (as I am too). I think you need to be true to yourself, not worry about changing your style unless you want to. Scrap styles are so individual and that's a good thing. You just keep doing what you do.

I love your pages, have come to know you more recently and consider you a digi friend and if I don't always comment, know that I am a fan of your creativeness.

I agree with your comment to "do it for the love of scrap". That is what its all about.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
Here is my take on all of this after three tries myself. I am one to get inside my own head way too much and you are about to see that firsthand. Getting inside my head is not always pretty and often harmful for me as I suffer from self-harm issues.

The first thing I go through is obviously the same as everyone else heartbreaking disappointment. I then start to question everything I do, my style, my ability, even myself as a person.

I worry that it’s because I have had so many family issues that called on me to be there for family first. Yet what I love about scrap-booking is the message from most is family first. I lost dream teams to put my husband first after he was hit by a bus, even after I would still choose him again, even knowing those teams are now unavailable to me.

I worry it’s because I’m too introverted, even though I’ve seen girls make it in the past who were obviously introverts too. I beat on myself over thing I cannot change like my own personality. I worry it’s because I had a past conflict with someone in the scrap world after being approached first by her. Yet I’ve seen girls make babe who openly lashed out and hurt others out of their own hurt and disappointment in the past in the forum. (my issue was outside the SSD forum and most probably do not even know of it) I get inside my own head thinking, worrying, stressing too much. I have always tried to be a kind person and hope those who know me see that.

I have spent the past two weeks tweaking and changing my style, only to be disappointed in myself and get less love on my layouts then I did before I changed my layout look. I’ve had close friends disappointed in me for giving in to the “desired look” not sticking to my style. I’ve had people message me that I didn’t even know where following me inspired by me in the past asking me why I change my style. Telling me they we shocked to not recognize pages by me recently until seeing my name attached. Telling me that they miss the look I created before, that my layouts were always recognizable to them but no longer are.

Now I question myself completely thinking how I can grow and still get the love I once got on my layouts. Truthfully, I will say feeling loved and excepted is important to me even on my layouts. I worry it’s because my layouts are NOT always SSD typical. I am an art major stepping out of the box is and will always be me I love a challenge.

I worry it’s because I do not share my life stories in journaling on my pages, yet I see people blur out faces and think it’s no different they are providing privacy for that person though photographs. I am providing privacy for myself and my family and our stories. This is important as I am someone who has been stalked online in the past and probably still is stalked.

I worry it’s because I create so may pocket pages, but I find I love them because I can create a story without sharing the written story online. BTW for those of you worried I’m not saving stories for my family this way; I am my stories/journaling gets added later before printing for privacy.

I found myself questioning is it because I use a different program? Yes, I do use something different then CS, but I am here to say I can run circles all over my program and KNOW for fact I can do anything with it everyone else does with their programs.

What I am trying to say to all of you and YES even MYSELF is, we will never really know what it takes to make it each call, it could change upon the need that given year. I am hoping I can take my own advice here to get out our heads and just do what we love again document and create.

Will I apply again YES will I change my style, MOST LIKELY YES, not to make a SSD Babe spot but to grow myself. Growth in everything I do is and will always be vital to me. Now to get out of my head once again and move on to what I started in the first place loving to scrap.

Just do it for the love of scrap ladies and if it is meant to be it will fall into place.
Thank you for your honest journal. I read it with tears in my eyes.
You are a wonderful person and there is nothing wrong with your style. Your pages are beautiful!!

I change my style too from time to time. We all evolve in someone different and so does are scrapping styles. There’s nothing wrong with that!!

Old 03-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you Rae and Sarah, you are examples of why I do this and why I LOVE my people!
Old 03-21-2020, 04:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ella...please don't change your style! You have become one of the scrappers I can pick out in a gallery and that is because they are unique and stand out. I especially love some of your most recent layouts. You don't need to change the way you scrap...evolve if you want but please don't change it. You do you!

Old 03-21-2020, 07:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
Ella...please don't change your style! You have become one of the scrappers I can pick out in a gallery and that is because they are unique and stand out. I especially love some of your most recent layouts. You don't need to change the way you scrap...evolve if you want but please don't change it. You do you!
Thank you Carrie
Old 03-22-2020, 02:27 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Hugs, Ella! Remember why you started scrapping in the beginning. Scrap for you, scrap as your creative outlet and scrap for your family memories, not because of babe position. Don’t let it take away the joy of scrapping from you. Hugs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2020, 09:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ella, it's like I could have written that post myself !! I know how it feels to get the 'i am so sorry but you didn't make the team' email and it's no fun and it even hurts and your heartbreaking disappointment covers it all. I think we've talked about this in the past but we both are so hard on ourselves and we should stop doing that. If your style of scrapping changes..that's good but please don't change it because you think it will higher your chances of becoming a Babe. I know my style changed big time but that happened over time and not because I thought..I want to get on that team. It changed because I found love for clustering...allthough I do scrap white space layout...my layouts are far from clean & simple I totally agree with you...do it for the love of scrap and that is what brings us together here at SSD !!
Old 03-23-2020, 03:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post

I worry it’s because I’m too introverted, even though I’ve seen girls make it in the past who were obviously introverts too. I beat on myself over things I cannot change like my own personality. I worry it’s because I have had a past conflict with someone in the scrap world after being approached first by her. Yet I’ve seen girls make babe who openly lashed out and hurt others out of their own hurt and disappointment in the past in the forum. (my issue was outside the SSD forum and most probably do not even know of it) I get inside my own head thinking, worrying, stressing too much. I have always tried to be a kind person and hope those who know me see that.

I have spent the past two weeks tweaking and changing my style, only to be disappointed in myself and am now getting less love on my layouts then I did before I changed my layout look. I’ve had close friends disappointed in me for giving in to the “desired look” not sticking to my style. I’ve had people message me that I didn’t even know where following me inspired by me in the past asking me why I changed my style. Telling me they we shocked to not recognize pages by me recently until seeing my name attached. Telling me that they miss the look I created before, that my layouts were always recognizable to them but no longer are.

Now I question myself completely thinking how I can grow and still get the love I once got on my layouts. Truthfully, I will say feeling loved and excepted is important to me even on my layouts. I worry it’s because my layouts are NOT always SSD typical. I am an art major stepping out of the box is and will always be me, I love a challenge.

What I am trying to say to all of you and YES even MYSELF is, we will never really know what it takes to make it each call, it could change upon the need that given year. I am hoping I can take my own advice here to get out our heads and just do what we love again document (in our own way) and create.

Will I apply again? YES will I change my style, MOST LIKELY YES, not just to make a SSD Babe spot but to grow myself. Growth in everything I do is and will always be vital to me. Now to get out of my head once again and move on to what I started in the first place loving to scrap.

I wish I could reach across the internet and give you a huge hug, Ella!! You know I'm here if you need to chat! You have a beautiful style, and a beautiful heart. Growth is good, but stay true to you!!
Old 05-29-2020, 03:08 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Maybe we should create a thread for constructive criticism. Only post in it if you are willing to take others suggestions, and not take it too personally.

In the gallery, we only leave love. We don't give helpful hints "work on your shadows", "those colors don't quite work with your photos".

Maybe we need one thread, and if you chose to post in there, you chose to take the criticism also. Nothing negative about photos (because those are personal), quote the layout you want to give helpful hints on (since threads move fast and it could get jumbled and confusing). Just an idea to help us improve our scrapping and techniques.
This is a great way to learn and grow. I have asked for critiques from my "boss" Tracey as I have CT'd for her over the years. She and I have become good friends through our honesty in life and scrapping. She said to me in a chat once....You were on the boarder line but I saw strengths, your work has grown quickly. (paraphrasing) Her pointers and my willingness to listen and try new things are the reasons for this. I find I have become a picky scrapper and have high standards in my work because of this. When I hate a page I post... It haunts me, lol.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:21 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I didn't apply for a Babe spot.... Not because I have had my share of rejections AND I have, lol. BUT because I was selected once to be a guest on a STORE TEAM somewhere to be unnamed. It was a 1 or 2 month commitment (or maybe a trial run for permanent spot, who knows) IT was more work than I bargained for. This is something you don't quite understand until you are there and doing it. I said my thank yous and goodbyes when my time was up. It was for me like having a JOB I didn't get paid for. For me scrapping is not a job...it's my hobby, my escape, my friendships. I have never wanted to be on a stores team since.
This may help some of you as you go forward and it may not. I will say never give up until you feel at peace with it. I am only on one CT and I apply to very few calls knowing I am competing with some of the very best scrappers in all of digi land. I consider myself a good scrapper and I love most of my pages. I redo what I don't love. I scrap for me and if it's liked, it is and if it's not that's ok too. If you want to get better for a call ask for help from someone you admire. For me, that is Tracey of Clever Monkey Graphics.

Last edited by Scrappy Penguin; 05-29-2020 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hugs from me too Ella. I love your style! I think when you scrap to please others and not yourself, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Scrap because it brings you joy. Scrap whatever style you want to on any given day. Scrap for YOU. When you do that, and feel happy with your own layout, THAT is all that matters. Don't change your style to get onto a CT. Change your style only when it feels right for you. I never thought I'd ever be chosen to be a babe. My style is much simpler and cleaner than the typical babe. And I use templates a LOT. I couldn't scrap clusters or arty pages like some of the babes if I tried. And you know what? It didn't matter. Robin chooses her team to fill various needs. Maybe when she chose me, she needed someone with a simpler style. Maybe she needed someone to show off the templates. I don't know why she chose me, but I do know she chose me for me. You be you. Keep doing what you do because YOU love it. Don't hang your happiness on the decisions of others. You have to be happy with yourself. I also don't take the number of gallery comments to heart either. If you look at my gallery I have very few comments on my layouts, and that's ok. I'm not a big commenter either. Just because people don't comment, doesn't mean they don't like your layout.

All that is to say, don't be disheartened. Remember why you started scrapping in the first place, and find joy in just creating pages that you love.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:47 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Penguin View Post
IT was more work than I bargained for. This is something you don't quite understand until you are there and doing it.
This is so very, very true. I was a designer from about 2010-2013 at another store. I had my own CT. People who do CT work (or just scrap for themselves and appreciate designers' work) often say that they don't envy the work that a designer has to do to put together a kit, but I can say that CT members put in a lot of work too. It's kind of an unpaid job, because you usually have to scrap on a bit of a deadline, especially if your designer is delayed a bit on getting a new release to you on "schedule". And I think that CTing for a store is even more work than that - because it's basically like you're CTing for multiple designers at once, plus you often have a few other tasks that stores ask you to do (run challenges or events, an amount of involvement in the gallery and forum, and during special events like DSD or iNSD there's a lot packed into the weekend that the CT members do). The good thing is I've never (personally) encountered a designer or store who doesn't appreciate their CT members or understand when real life comes up. I know that I just adored all of mine - and still miss them!

I'm currently enjoying being able to scrap for just myself without any expectations or deadlines. I participated in the Passport challenges this month and I'm finding that is expanding my comfort zone a little. There is definitely a few designers I'd love to CT for here, and if the day ever comes that they're having a call I may apply if I feel like the fit is right and I won't find it overwhelming for myself. Until then I'll enjoy scrapping on my terms, and be patient for "the right" call to come...or try anyway.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:48 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I think Jacinda says it perfectly. I was *more than once* felt what you felt about the unsuccessful CT applications, but I learnt to just scrap for me, tweak my style for me and enjoy the process, while keeping my wish to be a babe alive. After all, those pages are for me to keep and only I know fully how precious the memory being recorded in them.
So hugs to you, Ella!