Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Airplane Travel with a Preschooler

I know this has been discussed before, but apparently I cannot use the search function properly. What are some things I should bring or pack for my 4.5 year old. Its just me and him and we are flying across the country with 2 layovers each way. Any tips? Its our first time.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son likes to listen to stories. At 4.5 he's listen to chapter books now. So I bring lots of paperbacks. He also loves a "NEW" something he hasn't seen before like a sticker book. He's not much of a coloring kind of kid, so I leave the crayons at home.

But the big thing we bring is a small laptop with child sized headphones. He's been travelling quite a bit since he was small, so he is comfortable with the headphones. Then a selection of his favorite movies to watch when he gets tired, wants to snuggle, or is just plain bored.

And of course....SNACKS. Lots of snacks. But also buy something special to eat for your kid at the airport. Then they feel special too.

The hardest thing I found travelling alone with a kid, is that you have to take him with you everywhere. So if you have to go pee in the airport you have to troop all your stuff in there with him. So...

I made sure I had only ONE carry-on, that rolled. Including his stuff. (I would definately pay to check the rest of your luggage!) That way I could keep track of him and only ONE bag. Anything more than that and I'm sure I would have left something behind. My son, at 4.5 will still ride in the umbrella stroller (which I took), but if your's won't make sure you'll be able to carry him and pull your bag, so you don't have to be extra stressed at the airport! Travelling is stressful enough for kids even without you baggering little ones to keep up!

Last edited by kristijoy; 04-27-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

get some cheap stuff that hasn't been seen or played with yet.

Keira had just turned 4 when we left Alaska, I bought new coloring books and crayons, lots of snacks & water.

Portable DVD player w/ movies & headphones. Couple new, small toys, like a polly pocket for her and I got her a handheld vsmile for her b-day and games so she'd have something else to keep her busy. So anything like that he'd like.

Blanket and maybe a small pillow. Change of chothes just in case air sickness. Keira didn't get sick, but Coop was 15 months and he threw up right before we landed.

We flew 4 times with Keira, long distances before she turned 2 and she was always a great flyer. (California-Florida, CA-MI, CA-Alaska, & Alaska to Hawaii) I'd say if your son chews gum, that will help with his ears, or bring a sippy cup he can suck on as the plane takes off and lands.

Coming back from Alaska to Michigan, it was a late flight, so really, they both slept the majority of the way.

Good luck!

Last edited by nesser1981; 04-27-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Headphones! Jeez, I totally would have forgetten those. I was wondering about the stroller, too. At 4.5, I was worried about dragging him through the airport if he's tired. Thanks for all the great tips so far! I have never flown with a child before, its a lot to think about.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

DVD player and lots of kid DVDs! I don;t bother with the head phones. The airplane is so loud I can barely hear the DVD player sitting next to him let alone people around me having to listen to it. I have 2 boys and travel 2-3 times a year with them. My oldest is 4.5 and he will wear headphones, but my 2.5 year old will not. Also I pack a little back pack for him to carry with his special treats, color or sticker books, games (he has a Leapster explorer or I have a DS he uses with his own games), his blanket, and his "neigh" (stuffed horse). I also have an iphone (which I know not everyone has) that i have tons od toddler games on it. If you have the means you might consider buying a refurbished itouch or old iphone to load toddler apps and movies on. We happen to have one of each (I had an itouch before i got my iphone and my husband got an old iphone form a friend for free) that we take with us and they are lifesavers! My kids love the games and then having 2 they can each have their own. What did our parents do when we were young without these gadgets?! lol! I think getting through security is always the worst part of traveling since you practically have to get totally undrtessed and your kids too
Good luck! Most of all don't stress too much. I think most people around you will have "been there, done that" and will be sympathetic to any issues you might have. If you happen to run into the odd "meanie" just brush it off and remember you never have to see them again so who cares what they think!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Headphones! Jeez, I totally would have forgetten those. I was wondering about the stroller, too. At 4.5, I was worried about dragging him through the airport if he's tired. Thanks for all the great tips so far! I have never flown with a child before, its a lot to think about.
If you take a stroller, you'll have to fold it up when you go through security, and put it through the scanner. He'll have to walk through alone too, so prepare him for that and the chance of the pat down. They didn't do that when I flew, but Keira did have to walk through the metal detector alone.

You can check the stroller at the gate, they are helpful, we took our double stroller with us, for less stress.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

second the iTouch if you have one or can get one. Ours has a ton of apps just for him, and you can load TV shows, books, you name it from iTunes.

sticker book - the LEGO minifigure one was a big hit for us.

Have a great trip!