Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... either Orlando or Phoenix would be great... there are direct flights to both places out of my dinky airport - seriously - it's super small...

I'd probably still bring the family... hubby would not take off work just because I'm gone. He is the one that wants to travel - I've developed a fear of flying.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
LOL yes but when you have nobody to watch your little one while you're gone, it also makes it impossible
i'm w ya girly.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

I need 6 months notice and I can make anything happen. I'm good with WDW or a cruise. Isn't cruise season like Januaryish? Maybe next Winter? It would be enough time for people to save up and make arrangements and not so far out you can't get excited about it.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd voting on a NYC trip, mostly because I can drive there in 3 1/2 - 4 hours. And I've been there a handful of times and LOVE it

I would totally love an Orlando/Disney World trip though, but it'd have to be kid-friendly because there's no way I'd go anywhere near WDW without my kids!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaGardner View Post
I need 6 months notice and I can make anything happen. I'm good with WDW or a cruise. Isn't cruise season like Januaryish? Maybe next Winter? It would be enough time for people to save up and make arrangements and not so far out you can't get excited about it.
LENA, the world is supposed to end in December! We need it to be before then!!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

If we could do Florida (or anywhere on the East Coast), I'm in! A cruise would be fun, but I wonder if it would be easier to get people to attend something where they didn't have to commit to the entire time. Personally, I can definitely manage 2 nights. 4 is more questionable since DH may not be willing to watch the kids so long or able to get off work long enough. With a cruise it's all or nothing. I'd come whether the focus was just a fun trip or a scrap convention, but if we did the first I'd still love to have a few scrapping classes or crops.

I'm a lot more likely to come to something without the family. It's too expensive for 5, and I'd end up busy with the kids all the time and not able to enjoy myself. I'm fine with something family friendly so that people could bring their families if they want to.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-27-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would LOVE an SSD meet up and im in the no kids/family crowd. My first Scentsy convention I went to in Denver we made a family vacation out of it and I missed out on all of the fun girl time because I had to get back to the family.

I think a cruise would be totally awesome and would soooo be on board with that! I'd like some classes but I want the majority of my time to be spent scrapping and getting to know the other peeps!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I would LOVE an SSD meet up!! I was tempted by the Vegas thing going on, but I wasn't interested in all the classes and stuff that they were doing. I'd much rather just go and have a fun time. I mean - doesn't Vegas have enough stuff to do, lol.

I love the idea of a cruise - I mean I LOOOOVE it! It's a bucket list thing for me. But then - so is going to Florida. I've never seen water like that (the Oregon coast, while beautiful, is NOT like Florida's waters, lol) - it's been a dream of mine to visit Florida some time in my life So just going to Florida would be amazing!

Oh and I asked my hubby (who is in Texas for work righ tnow). I texted him and asked what he thought. He told me "You know I don't care. You do so much, you deserve a break." Seriously - isn't he the best!? LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe those with teenage girls (um Sally......you come to mind) could bring the "big kids" to be babysitters during like a crop time or something? I would be in the "no kids" camp unless we did something disney then I would HAVE to bring them (and wouldn't mind for disney) but I would still want a break to enjoy some adult time and convo.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_eyes22 View Post
Oh and I asked my hubby (who is in Texas for work righ tnow). I texted him and asked what he thought. He told me "You know I don't care. You do so much, you deserve a break." Seriously - isn't he the best!? LOL
Seriously, does he have a brother?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well, if I was in the States, I'd totally be in, but since it's looking like it'll be at least a year before we get back, I'll stay out of this conversation. But if you gals DO get together, can you do a flat Kellie so I can be a part of the pictures at least? ; )
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow Jen - now that's a response I would LOVE to hear sometimes!!

I would LOVE to do a cruise, but I am way too chicken to travel alone so I might have to bring my sister or something if families/kids aren't part of the deal. Of course, I have no idea how feasible a cruise is really for our budget even. But it sounds like so much fuuuun!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Well, if I was in the States, I'd totally be in, but since it's looking like it'll be at least a year before we get back, I'll stay out of this conversation. But if you gals DO get together, can you do a flat Kellie so I can be a part of the pictures at least? ; )
Flat Kellie! *snort* Love it. I would totally do that. BUT I am thinking that is might take a year to plan so you might be in luck and get to be the REAL Kellie there.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

I want a flat Kellie even if the real Kellie is there.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I had a year's notice, I'm thinking maybe I could make it happen, somehow. It's so ridiculously expensive flying to the US A cruise sounds so fun! And with you ladies? Sounds SO crazy
Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriebug66 View Post
Seriously, does he have a brother?
Actually yes! LOL - BUT, he's a lot different (not in a good way in my opinion) and married
Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
Wow Jen - now that's a response I would LOVE to hear sometimes!!
LOL - actually after I got all gushy with love and thanks over his reply, he texted back with "I thought that would work" lol. We had a good laugh though (but I know him - he's serious If I want to go and he can get work off, then I'll be able to). We're about to celebrate our 10yr anniversary -- I guess I taught him well, lol
Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_eyes22 View Post
LOL - actually after I got all gushy with love and thanks over his reply, he texted back with "I thought that would work" lol. We had a good laugh though (but I know him - he's serious If I want to go and he can get work off, then I'll be able to). We're about to celebrate our 10yr anniversary -- I guess I taught him well, lol
That's so sweet. Makes me think that getting married again would be wonderful, but then I date and reality sets in.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That's so sweet. Makes me think that getting married again would be wonderful, but then I date and reality sets in.
word.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes! I love Lena's idea! Let's go cruisin' next January, and we can celebrate my birthday!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I too love the idea of a SSD meet up. I could totally go anywhere Vegas included. I would not bring my kids. This would be total Me time and I am ok with that. My in laws own a house in Orlando Florida I wonder if they would let me borrow it for a SSD meet up. It could be a back up place for ppl who want to come but couldn't afford lodging or something. I don't know just thinking here......I would totally have to talk to the inlaws first.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would so love a cruise but my dh wouldn't agree. He'd want to come along and then he'd complain that I'm having fun with all the other chicas and not him so he'd just sour my moment

The other downside is that he'd say a vacation is not for you to be scrappin so he'd just be a total party pooper Maybe I could send him on his own vacation, IDK.

If it were seriously brought to the table I may just have to ditch him and go chill w/the SSD ladies.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

While I would really, really want to come, I know I wouldn't be able to. We haven't been on a family vacation in a couple years (couldn't afford it) so if I was saving up for a trip, it'd have to be a family (or at least me and hubby) deal. We have a list a mile long of things we need/want (like a house and a car that actually fits us tall people... that Focus is so dang uncomfortable... haha) and those would have to come before a fun trip. But if you guys do it, I'll be totally wishin' I could go!

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
If I do something like this, I totally want to be AWAY from the childrens. And I want to go somewhere bucket-listy....Oklahoma or Utah are not bucket listy to me LOL
There's always Manitoba, Canada!

You know you've always wanted to come here. Admit it.

I think it would be a dream-come-true to have all my favorite SSD people in one spot and to be able to see them IRL!! I'm with Traci though, unless it's a totally "family orientated" vacay (in which case there would be no time for scrap-talk, or general chit chat), I'd prefer to have a SSD getaway without my childrens as well.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
LOL!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been to Vegas for the scrapping convention both years. It is not my home store, but I knew a few of the designers since I'm in a forum with them elsewhere...and I have to say...I had an amazing time. I did take the photography course and really enjoyed it, but didn't take any other classes. I just went to hang out and have fun! Vegas is NOT for everyone, but I'd say most of the ladies stayed in the hotel and hung out in the convention rooms for most of the time. I've been to Vegas many times with my family and friends, so it wasn't a place that I really wanted to visit, but am always happy to go to. I don't really drink, I don't gamble, but I certainly had a lot of crazy good fun!

My thoughts at the end of the trip were more in line with what Robin was proposing. Either a cruise, or maybe even at a retreat somewhere in the mountains, or near the ocean somewhere. Some of those places have all the beds, showers, hire someone in to do all the cooking for the group, etc. Ditch your husbands and little ones ladies. You'll have SOOOO much more fun! You all deserve it!

So...Mexican Riviera cruise anyone?

Last edited by 4noisyboys; 03-27-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm living in the desert right now - I would give almost anything to go somewhere with water, lol. Ocean would be my first choice (and ANY ocean would do it for me!! lol) but even a dang river would satisfy me at this point (I hate the desert, can you tell?)
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noisyboys View Post
My thoughts at the end of the trip were more in line with what Robin was proposing. Either a cruise, or maybe even at a retreat somewhere in the mountains, or near the ocean somewhere. Some of those places have all the beds, showers, hire someone in to do all the cooking for the group, etc. Ditch your husbands and little ones ladies. You'll have SOOOO much more fun! You all deserve it!

So...Mexican Riviera cruise anyone?
Well, this got me to thinking about the Utah idea again. You know, Park City is gorgeous! And, if you come in the summer, you can get great rates at the hotels (resorts) because it's their off season (not ski season). There's plenty to do - shopping, horseback riding, Alpine slide, the Olympic park, and it's a place that could work for those who want to bring families as well as those who don't.

And, just a quick drive down the road (in Heber) is the BEST hamburger/ice cream dive!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
Well, this got me to thinking about the Utah idea again. You know, Park City is gorgeous! And, if you come in the summer, you can get great rates at the hotels (resorts) because it's their off season (not ski season). There's plenty to do - shopping, horseback riding, Alpine slide, the Olympic park, and it's a place that could work for those who want to bring families as well as those who don't.

And, just a quick drive down the road (in Heber) is the BEST hamburger/ice cream dive!
I would definately NOT be coming with my kid..or my DH for that matter!

I don't think the location would matter (as long as it doesn't cost a TON). THe main thing I would want would be the ability to just come, park myself in a room, walk down the hall to scrap with everyone. Exercise some, have a spa treatment and EAT

I think for a scrap retreat I wouldn't want to do a ton of site seeing. I don't want to spend hours in cars, buses or taxi's.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never been in the States but it's on my bullet list. If I went, i'd definitely want to see Florida or California. Ideally, we would make it a family vacation of 1 or 2 weeks and then I could meet up with you, but 4 days might be too long for me as well (maybe not that much for me but certainly for my man!). I also think 4 days is a long time to spend with people you don't know. But like I said: ideally. It's expensive travelling to the USA, especially if we would go as a family and thus in the school holidays.... But it would be so lovely to meet you all irl!!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hm hm, this would be a nice trip, actually. I've never been to States, never been on a cruise and if I could find money for such a vacation, I'd go.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Well, bucket list wise, I'd say let's do this! But methinks its definitely out of this girl's price range!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
Well, bucket list wise, I'd say let's do this! But methinks its definitely out of this girl's price range!
LOL-I can just see me telling DH that I'm going on a 10-day tour like that. Even ignoring the cost, let's just say his answer will be the total opposite of, "Go, you deserve it."

The more I've been thinking about this, the more sure I am that 2 nights is probably my limit. DH will never agree to more than that since he'd have to take off work to watch the kids. So as much as I'd love to come, I'd probably have to sit out a 3 or 4 night cruise. Something shorter (or that we could come for just part of it) I could do.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

oh my, a cruise would be so much fun!! I'd go.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm interested, but it iwll depend on where, cost, where we are and what fertility treatments we are doing at the time.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Come on girls, you KNOW you want to come to Tennessee! We have Dollywood
Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I would definately NOT be coming with my kid..or my DH for that matter!

I don't think the location would matter (as long as it doesn't cost a TON). THe main thing I would want would be the ability to just come, park myself in a room, walk down the hall to scrap with everyone. Exercise some, have a spa treatment and EAT

I think for a scrap retreat I wouldn't want to do a ton of site seeing. I don't want to spend hours in cars, buses or taxi's.
The spa treatment would be the perfect touch in my opinion. Last time I went on a cruise, my favorite day was my spa day. Four hours of pampering me! It was total bliss. I want to go on another cruise in the worst way and I don't even like boats. lol
Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I've never been on a cruise, but its on my bucket list!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'd be up for a cruise or something, but DH wouldn't let me leave him at home! LOL! I could get away without the kids. Also not Vegas here, I don't drink or gamble.

He's totally bummed right now anyhow, we were suppose to go to Hawaii in October for me to photograph a friends wedding and guess what, my due date is 2 week after their wedding. So we had to cancel.

He'd love a trip, as would I. We haven't been anywhere for an extended period of time without kids since our honeymoon.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Oh this sounds like so much fun!!! There are a lot of "ifs" for me, though. First off, there'd be no way I'd be able to do a cruise without my hubby. And WDW without Luke. THey'd kill me. I could do a cruise without Luke though. LOL

That said, I could only do summer or Christmas or fall break or spring break. I get a whopping two personal days per year. Vacation time is one time it stinks to be a teacher- we have to go when everyone and their mother goes! LOL

I'd be up for TRYING to join you all though!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallMoments View Post
Oh this sounds like so much fun!!! There are a lot of "ifs" for me, though. First off, there'd be no way I'd be able to do a cruise without my hubby. And WDW without Luke. THey'd kill me. I could do a cruise without Luke though. LOL

That said, I could only do summer or Christmas or fall break or spring break. I get a whopping two personal days per year. Vacation time is one time it stinks to be a teacher- we have to go when everyone and their mother goes! LOL

I'd be up for TRYING to join you all though!
I'm in the same boat as Kristin, b/c my mom is a school district employee and my babysitter.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm. This sounds like fun.

I like the Orlando idea. I'll be watching this thread to see what happens.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
I'm in the same boat as Kristin, b/c my mom is a school district employee and my babysitter.
LOL-it's the opposite for me. DH wouldn't let me go during a school vacation when he'd have to watch all 3 kids 24/7 by himself. In the summer the kids go to camp a few mornings a week so that would help, but he already takes time off then for a vacation with my side of the family. Friday night to Sunday sounds perfect no matter what time of year, but I suppose that's not long enough for a cruise.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

bumping! we can't let the idea go! lol