Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default dog people - help?

around this time last year, we started saving for a puppy. we have a nice stash of coins the girls put away. they keep bringing up the puppy. again.

can someone point me to good websites for family friendly dogs or help in anyway? the dog needs to be on the smaller side (due to space in the house) and playful. i had german wire haired pointers (a total of 6 in my lifetime) & a schnauzer growing up. we never were a small dog family. i just don't even know where to look or breeders or anything!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well we're a Golden Retriever family, best family dogs, but large. Someday we would like to get a small little lap dog (aside from our cat) and we will probably go with a Shitzu/Lhasa which are both non-shedding and hypo-allergenic.

Do you have a local classifieds website? This is where a lot of breeders post puppies available here, otherwise I would just ask around.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know there are websites (maybe AKC?) that can help match up a family's "personality" with a dog breed that would be good for them. I came across them after we got our dog so I didn't pay a lot of attention to them. AKC is definitely a good site for information about dogs.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a silky terrier and she really is a great dog but as with any terrier breed- they like to bark. She looks just like a yorkie though but silkies dont have to be groomed like the yorkies do. They are supposed to be hypo-allergenic dogs too.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I don't know of any websites, but we were golden retriever people until we realized our house is just too small for a golden.

We got a Yorkie Poo. We LOVE him. He doesn't shed. He's about 10 pounds. He's awesome with Luke. He's a cuddler. He trained easily (but he is naughty and poops in Luke's room when he's mad).

Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a sheltie - they look like small collies. We are on our 4th one - just got her a few months ago. Every single one we've had has loved kids and is playful. They bark a bit but not like the terriers They do like to "herd" the vacuum cleaner when I vacuum or sweep, so I put her in the bedroom while I do those chores - LOL. We've also had several shepards over the years, but of course they are considered large.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

here is a quiz you can do to help narrow down breeds based on your preferences:

http://animal.discovery.com/breedsel...dogselector.do
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

The AKC site is a good one for matching dogs to personalities. I think that is also how I found the link to the breeder where we got our dogs.

We ended up with a Boston Terrier (and then a second one because they are just wonderful). They are very family-oriented and are totally playful and fun. They don't bark much and have short hair that is easy to deal with and they love to take baths. The only real ongoing maintenance is clipping their nails, so they are pretty simple. They think that they are people. They love the baby and now he thinks he is a dog. There are a lot of identity issues/confusion at our house.

Good luck with your search! It will be fun to see what you end up with.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Good luck with your search. I'm a shelter only pet person though, so I don't have any breeder advice other than to do your research on the breeder and make sure you sign a contract.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

How fun that you're thinking about getting a dog! I'm definitely a dog person but mine are usually on the larger side (two Springer Spaniels currently). All the breeds everyone has mentioned so far are great, but for a smaller dog, you really can't go wrong with a Boston if you're wanting a purebred dog.

Truthfully though, unless you have a real need for a purebred, I'd at least consider a mix (preferably from a shelter). We've had a lot of dogs in our day & have loved them all dearly (unreasonably some would say - lol!), but I honestly don't think we'll ever have another dog that isn't a mix of some kind.

First off, you have to buy purebred dogs. But the main reason is health issues - even dogs from good breeders are much more prone to have health or temperament problems. Over the years, we've had both kinds & you'd be horrified if you knew how much money it has cost us to keep the purebred dogs healthy, while the mutts haven't had any problems at all! Just something to consider . . .

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

We have labs, which of course are big dogs. Our friends have 3 dachsunds which they love. Another friend adored her sheltie, it did pass away after a long life. My friend still talks about her dog it was so devoted to the family. Hope you find just the right dog for your family!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Cocker Spaniels are fun dogs and really active. So are corgis. There are rescue groups for just about any type of dog though once you decide on a breed. So you would be rescuing a dog but still getting the type of breed you want.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thank you!
the quizes are perfect.

i'm not opposed to shelter dogs, but they all run on the large side mixes. i've been looking and stalking the humane society website.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Steph, if you find a smaller breed you're attracted to, try doing a google search for breed specific rescues in your area. You could also try contacting the humane society and seeing if they know of good breed specific rescues you can try. Small dogs do usually get snatched up pretty quick, because more people want small dogs. But lots of times there are lots of dogs at the shelter who never make it onto the website. Maybe try swinging by (by yourself) one day this week and seeing what they actually have in the kennels. You might get lucky.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

You can also fill out adoption work beforehand etc and then put yourself on a waiting list type thing too i believe where you state what you are looking for etc
Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We had to get rid of our Golden Retriever due to the size of our house/yard. I had never wanted a small dog, but we really want our kids growing up with pets. We ended up getting a Pug and we are IN LOVE. They are GREAT with small kids, they are super affectionate, they rarely bark, and they are big people-pleasers. Really, I can't believe how well this dog has fit our family.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

We have a shih tzu. Honestly, unless you're super patient with training, I wouldn't recommend one. She is probably the most stubborn and obstinate dog I've ever owned (and I've had dogs ALL of my life). Even my parents (dad is a farm boy) are surprised by her. At first we thought maybe it was just THIS dog, but after doing research and talking to other owners we've found out it's quite common for the breed. Plus, they take a lot of grooming. Their long hair tangles and matts very easily. And yes, believe what they say about shih tzus and food, ours has a wheat allergy. And you have to watch out for hair in their eyes or they will easily get eye ulcers and can even lose their eyes from the ulcers.

Have you thought about a miniature schnauzer? I'm not totally familiar with the breed, but I do know people who own them, and love them. I'd talk to owners as much as possible of breeds that you're considering, and do a LOT of research, beyond the AKC site. Check out books from your local library, talk with trainers, etc. We wish we had done more research before we got our shih tzu. We love her dearly, but she's more work than we had bargained for.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I would recommend looking at breed specific recues as mentioned earlier. There are lots of dogs out there looking for homes and if you can find one with a group that is dedicated to that breed they can help with training, health questions and many have social events for their dogs.

We are a golden family, so I can't really help with little dogs.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When we were looking for a small dog for our family (with 2 small kids), our research led us to an adorable little Boston Terrier. They are wonderful family dogs.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm another one who advocates mixes, simply because they tend to have less medical issues. Every pure bred animal I've owned has had issues, whereas the "mutts" tend to be hardier.

However, if you are interested in pure bred dogs, I'd highly recommend Boston Terriers. They're hypoallergenic, don't shed much, and every one that I've been around was great with kids.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Think with each pedigree small dog owner - you are going to get owners loyal to their breed - . So I have to throw my recommendation in - I love love my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel! aka the Love Sponge - and I really do think it's the best small dog breed ever, given it's sweet temperament and low inside energy.

Take the dog outside - and playtime. Inside - nap and cuddle time. Tremendously easy to train as he really wants to please you. Happy me. Here's my cutie firstborn, he's four now:

CKCS come in three colors - black/tan/white or tri-colored, black and blenheim which is my dog - red and white. Really excellent with kids, and used often as a registered therapy dog.

We keep him long-haired on breed standard, and put up with the maintenance. My cousins, whom have one and live in Las Vegas, shear theirs like a cocker for lower maintenance.

I'd encourage you to look at CKCS, one of those huge pictoral dog breed books at Barnes and Noble with a coffee , and the AKC website... all the best with your choice!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Steph, if you do find a good breeder that you end up going with in our area, please let me know! I've been thinking about getting a dog too, smaller like you, but just don't know of anyone around here. I've also been looking at the HS website for a long time, but haven't found any there.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

We are also thinking of getting a new dog... Currently we have two large dogs (Golden Retriever and a Border Collie) We had three large dogs, but we had to put our sweet boy Colby to sleep last year. Our daughter has been clamoring for another dog for the past few months, and I want a smaller dog this time around. We have been doing lots of research, and the kind I have decided on is a Coton De Tular (can also be called Buttercups). I won't lie they are on the pricey side. (I found a breeder in Michigan and they run around $1000) BUT they are small (8-15 lbs) non shedding, and supposedly hypo allergenic (don't really believe too much in this as all dogs have dander and that is what people are allergic to) but they are extremely loyal, love to play if you engage them, but also happy to just lay in your lap. They are not barkers, and get along well with small kids. So I think this will be the dog we go for when we are ready..
This is the breeder I found: www.buttercuppuppies.com

Last edited by LoriC777; 02-09-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

A great website to go to is www.petfinder.com. Its a great tool to help you find any type of pet, but especially dogs who are in shelters or placed with rescue groups that need homes. I'm a Veterinary Technician and a huge advocate of rescues and shelters. My own dog came from Leonberger Rescue. Rescues are great because you are helping a dog in need, but also because most recue groups only place dogs who are behavior tested and will fit into your family. Also some of them will already be house trained, a huge plus in my book )
Although breeders are great for getting exactly the breed you want, please be sure to do some homework and find a good reputable breeder. Most breed clubs will have lists of breeders in your area if you want to go that route. Also check out www.aaha.com its a veterinary website with tons of great info for new puppy owners.
Anyway hope this helps and I hope you find a great puppy!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a little doggie. He's a Westie and his name his Haggis. Everyone should have a Haggis in their lives

He is super snuggly, only needs shorts walks although he has a couple every day, got the whole toilet training thing really easily and loves to sleep in the bed

This was him 2 years ago when he was a diddly little puppy

Last edited by Andrea Gourley; 02-09-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
We have been doing lots of research, and the kind I have decided on is a Coton De Tular
I have two friends who have these dogs and they are very sweet little dogs. I wouldn't say that they aren't barkers, though. They both bark a fair bit.