Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default All these meet ups.........

Okay.......so I am ssooooooooooo going there. (Robin forgive me!)

I am loving how all these meet ups are getting planned and I even hope to attend 1 or 2 this summer. BUUUUUUUUUUUUT..........I want to meet EVERYONE! So serious. I have been wanting something like this for a long time but now it is even a bigger want for me. Seeing all these posts of different regions meeting up and then seeing FB post of another online store doing a big meet up (which I would of loved to attend but talked myself out of because it wasn't my "home" forum and store).......I want Sweet Shoppe to do something awesomely fun like that.

Yes, I am greedy and want to see EVERYONE but I don't think I am the only one. Right??? Wouldn't it be fun to have a convention somewhere where we can scrap, learn in classes by our babes/designers, have fun and take TONS of pictures. It just sounds like heaven to me.

AND, I know that something like this takes a lot of planning and organization. I know it is a long shot. I just wanted to make my dream known hoping that Robin is a Genie willing to grant me a wish.

Okay, I am done. *Running to hide from Robin* LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd LOVE this.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That would be incredible. I'd count my pennies to try to be there. I'd love some sort of event with classes and everything. I think I know what event you are talking about, and I considered it strongly, too, but it's not my home store, either, so I didn't go.

I'd REALLY love to see something like that for SSD.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I thoroughly agree with you, Tara...and I'd love to see it in the middle of the country...central location LOL...like somewhere close to where you are
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This sounds heavenly!!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'd love it too, but I've got to think it's a ton of work to arrange and not a guaranteed return on the site's time and money. I CT for someone at the other store, but I don't spend a lot of time there and didn't seriously consider going because of the location (ie, cost and time to get so far). But I'd try a lot harder to make it work for an SSD convention!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
I thoroughly agree with you, Tara...and I'd love to see it in the middle of the country...central location LOL...like somewhere close to where you are
*snort* Well, that would be good but I am willing to go somewhere. In fact, I may want to "get away" with my pals here where I won't be available for hubby to call when needed.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would so be there...that sounds like it would be lots of fun...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know whether it's ever been seriously discussed but I know when it's been mentioned in the main forums here, people seem excited about the idea but less so about the cost of traveling to a specific location. But it's just not possible for it to be in everyone's backyard. So I think the question is really whether there'd be enough people (staff included) with the willingness and means to travel for something like that. I totally think it would be awesome if a SSD meet up could happen one day though.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Isn't Vegas the most desirable location for this kind of meet up? Usually tickets are cheap for Vegas compared to other locations.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Ugh. I would love to go to a meet up, but never in Vegas. Not interested! lol
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, count me out for Vegas. I'd consider it if it were somewhere else, though. I think I'd work a lot harder to get to a meetup where everyone was attending rather than just the midwest girls (wow, that came out TOTALLY wrong. I love love love the midwest girls, but if it's between saving my money for a midwest only meetup, or for saving my money up for an all-SSD meetup, I'd rather save up for a big one, kwim?)

But... Vegas, yeah, no. If I came to a meetup, chances are my family would make it a family vacation there so my parents and brother could sight-see and watch Zach while I'm in classes and crops. That's usually how our trips work out when I have to go somewhere for a meeting, or when my mom goes away for business- the whole family comes (we're odd and close-knit like that). Since they've made it clear Vegas isn't of interest to them, it'd make it pretty hard for me to go to one of those. Lol.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

How about Chicago... you all can bunk at my place LOLOL
Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would go no matter where it is. I would want it to be somewhere fun though that has lots of sights to see if people wanted to get a little adventurous outside the conference. I would be one of the adventurers for sure! LOL

Vegas, New York City, Kansas City (MO).........heck, I would even be thrilled with a cruise! Can you tell that I am itching for a vaca????
Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Count me in Tara! I'd prefer the large group setting too! It would be a thrill to meet everybody!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I asked the designers a few months back about doing a 3-4 night cruise with group bookings to the bahamas/mexico because its all inclusive, food, activities, meeting space, etc all included on board but most said they wouldn't be interested or able to come / would feel bad about leaving their families to attend something like this.

A cruise is honestly cheap especially with group bookings / discount rates so I guess my problem is making sure enough people (including staffers) would want to go to something like this while also making sure it's something *I* would enjoy putting together too.

It's a tough balance... I'd rather do a really memorable group get together to MAKE new memories as a community than just another convention with classes / crops / etc.

I've considered it... I just think like it's been mentioned trying to get people to leave home to attend something like this when they have little kids etc... is sometimes a challenge.

R
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

EKKKK!!!! She found me! LOL Oh Robin.......I know this would be a big thing to plan. This girl is dreaming. BUT if you did put one together then I will gladly attend and help in any way possible. I love my community here! I want to hug everyone's neck and get to know them better.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

exactly Robin! i think a cruise would be fun, or any get together but i don't have a nice enough husband who'd watch the kids for me to do that unfortunately lol.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
It's a tough balance... I'd rather do a really memorable group get together to MAKE new memories as a community than just another convention with classes / crops / etc.
I totally agree with this!!!!

There was a babywearing convention in Chicago a few years ago and I chose to take the train down every day... the thing I missed the most was the activities outside of the convention and non-teaching workshops... and vowed that next time I'd actually stay in the hotel/dorms and leave the kids at home... I didn't really get to make new friendships or grow the ones I already had because I spent so much time on the trains and in the classes and didn't really get to have fun social time because I had to get the kids back home at a decent time... and totally missed out on the outings in the city. and the fun stuff like the fashion show and stuff like that that happened in the evening or even late afternoon, since I had to leave at 3 usually...

and yeah, I'd want to bring the whole family, especially since I'm still nursing and he won't take a bottle... so that Mark could take the kids while I'm having fun with the girls, LOLOLOL
Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely go, even though it means flying from UK, I'd be there lol. Well I would be there as long as I had A LOT of notice to save the pennies up!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

yah. If I did anything like this it wouldn't be just me. odds are it'd be me and the girls so it's have to be something kid friendly as well. my dh comi g w us is not normally an option.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I would LOVE to do this so, so much! But, I'm in the "no Vegas" group too. I could go for Phoenix, though. It's a big enough city that flights in and out shouldn't be too expensive, and it'd be really close to home for Robin. Or, is that TOO close to home, R?

And, Tara, I LOLed at the "hug everyone's neck" comment. That's something my mom says all the time, and it totally reminded me of her.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

OK what about in like Salt Lake City, Utah? I know there's lots of scrappers from there and there's LOTS to do there as well, mostly family friendly. I think this would be awesome and I would totally come, especially if it's something that is family friendly. But at the same time it turns out to be more expensive to have the whole family than to just be you, kwim?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

If I do something like this, I totally want to be AWAY from the childrens. And I want to go somewhere bucket-listy....Oklahoma or Utah are not bucket listy to me LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd be game for either option - with or without kids. Though if it happened this year I'd be bringing the baby since we are nursing

Disney world!?!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
If I do something like this, I totally want to be AWAY from the childrens. And I want to go somewhere bucket-listy....Oklahoma or Utah are not bucket listy to me LOL
LOL, agreed. If we do this, I want it to be good. And I know you all love your adorable children but come on, doesn't a girl's trip away sound lovely?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Yeah I know about the bucket listy place, so like NYC but places like that are probably going to run really high priced to do? A disney kind of a thing might be REALLY nice! Or somewhere close to a beach???
Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

nyc is ridiculously expensive, just for the record. i have a friend who's visiting the states from australia. and he was like, "we should meet up in nyc for a weekend!" and we looked at hotels and stuff... yeah. not cheap.

disney could be LOADS of fun. they do group things as well.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Yeah - bucket listy places would also be pricey. But, if something like this happens, I would want to do it without kidlets as well. Although, I think it would be really fun to meet other peeps kids.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd so totally help with the plans.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
doesn't a girl's trip away sound lovely?
YES
Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love NYC but it is crazy expensive. You could definitely do Disney for less than NYC.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LA would be fun

Old 03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I love NYC but it is crazy expensive. You could definitely do Disney for less than NYC.
There is a ton to do in Orlando that does not involve small children and mice. Take Church Street Station, for example. And like Vegas, it's easy to get there and flights are cheap.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

You guys dont want to come to Phoenix - it's boring here. Srsly.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

New Designer 5 is right - flights to Orlando are generally pretty cheap and we could cruise out of Port Canaveral from there for something like $250-400 for a 3-4 night cruise to the Bahamas with EVERYTHING but excursions & alcohol included on board. That'd be like the cheapest vacation I've taken in YEARS.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
What she said!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My first thought was California, but I didn't want to be bias about it, so I offered Vegas! Believe me, I don't drink or gamble, so Vegas has no appeal to me! LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
New Designer 5 is right - flights to Orlando are generally pretty cheap and we could cruise out of Port Canaveral from there for something like $250-400 for a 3-4 night cruise to the Bahamas with EVERYTHING but excursions & alcohol included on board. That'd be like the cheapest vacation I've taken in YEARS.
Yes yes YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!! (I feel like Sally in When Harry Meet Sally in the restaurant btw. LOL)
Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
OK now THAT would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
YES. And I most likely wouldn't bring my kids... although if we are doing Disney, i'm totally bringing them.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just have one question...where do I sign up for this?! Seriously, I would LOVE to get together and meet all my SSD peeps. That sounds like SO much fun!!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would be up for it! As long as it was far enough out to save and plan for and some where cheap to fly to cause its not cheap flying out of ND to most places.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDesigner1 View Post
OK what about in like Salt Lake City, Utah? I know there's lots of scrappers from there and there's LOTS to do there as well, mostly family friendly. I think this would be awesome and I would totally come, especially if it's something that is family friendly. But at the same time it turns out to be more expensive to have the whole family than to just be you, kwim?
I have an idea who this is based on this comment.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
I'm with Traci!!! I love my kids to bits but if I'm going on a scrapping retreat I'm going by my self!!!!

I'm up for anything as long as I'm given a little bit of notice so hubby can put in for vacation!!! A cruise does sound nice!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Orlando sounds perfect to me

I'm just totally picturing me telling my hubby that I want to go on a cruise with people I've never actually met in real life before. He is not computer/internet/facebook savvy at all and would totally think I was nuts. He has no idea all the people I "know" online. LOL!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
You guys dont want to come to Phoenix - it's boring here. Srsly.
There are some fabulous and gorgeous resorts in the Tucson area (Catalina Foothills area) and lots of lovely scenery and mountains.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
LOL, agreed. If we do this, I want it to be good. And I know you all love your adorable children but come on, doesn't a girl's trip away sound lovely?
LOL yes but when you have nobody to watch your little one while you're gone, it also makes it impossible
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This would be my idea of a dream vacation! If I could get the time off work, I would be there in a heartbeat.